Alex Poythress

bud0323

I went on his recruiting page on Rivals and he has alot of schools going after him. I hope we can get him even though there's another Small Forward named Tymond Howard that's high on us.

I'm with you on Poythress. Sure would be nice to have. I'm close with someone who coaches him in the summer and early speculation from him is Stanford or Vandy. Apparently he has good grades and his mom is really pushing for a place with high academic standards. We'll see.

Bruce has met with him, a couple of times. I've seen him play. He is very athletic and with some strong coaching will be a top prospect nationally when he's a senior. I think he would love to play for Coach Pearl.

He's also a great kid too. Has his head on straight and makes good decisions on and off the court. However, academics are VERY important to him and he already has an offer from Vandy. I think it'll be tough to get him. But I hope we do.

Would be an awesome addition.

Last edited:
Recently visited Knoxville for the Intense Skills camp. Go get 'em Bruce.

Pearl is bringing in only top players from here on out. If football can reach his level, our program will rise again.

Well I'm sure by the time 2012 rolls around that Poythress will be a top player. Afterall Bruce Pearl must like him enough to give him an offer.

On the ESPNU top/super 60 Poythress is the 13 best player. Also there's an article on scout about Poythress. I don't have a subscription to scout so I couldn't read it.

For what it's worth, Alex is wearing a Tennessee Volunteers shirt in his profile pic on Facebook...

This is a super stupid question... and it's also kind of creepy, but are there any comments/captions on said picture that grant any insight as to WHY he's wearing it?

new scout article doesnt sound too enthused about UT. "It's a good school and all" Coach Pearl "is a nice guy". Sounds like a Vandy kid to me.

He's one of 10 visitors that's coming this weekend for the UK game. Don't know all of them but Lekan Ayaji, Shaq Goodwin, Jarnell Stokes are all coming. The full list is on GVX.

update..

Poythress feels pressure to stay home

Playing alongside Tony Parker and several other high-major players on the Georgia Stars this spring, Alex Poythress stood out.

The 6-foot-7 forward from Northeast (Tenn.) made an impact with his athleticism and length. He can power around the rim and is one of the better rebounders in the class. Poythress also has the ability to face-up and knock down jumpers.

“I didn’t do anything different,” he said. “I just played hard and tried to show what I could do.”

Plenty of schools were impressed, as Poythress currently boasts a long list. Vanderbilt, Memphis, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Georgia Tech, Alabama, Stanford, Duke, Kentucky, Louisville and Ohio State are all on him.

While Poythress has no favorites, three schools are on him the most, and they all have something in common.

“The in-state schools are probably coming at me the hardest -- Memphis, Vanderbilt, Tennessee,” he said.

- Jeff Borzello CBS

How are you coming to that make that guess?

Poythress and Shabazz Muhammed are Calipari's high priority targets now (reportedly) for the 2012 class. Cal usually gets his high-priority targets. See Jones, Terrance. That's what I'm basing my opinion on. Nothing Poythress has personally said.

How do you know Cal is going that hard on him?

A conversation that took place on the Memphis Roar site re: who would be Kentucky's first committment of 2012, I think. I'll post a link if I come back across it. If you ask Poythress personally, I think he'd say that Vandy leads. His recruitment isn't close to done though.

Poythress and Shabazz Muhammed are Calipari's high priority targets now (reportedly) for the 2012 class. Cal usually gets his high-priority targets. See Jones, Terrance. That's what I'm basing my opinion on. Nothing Poythress has personally said.

No one really knows when it comes to recruiting but as of Monday UK had the following offers extended:

Centers
#12 Kaleb Tarczewski
#18 Dajuan Coleman

Power Forwards
#5 Mitch McGary
#7 Anthony Bennett
#14 Brandon Ashley
#19 Perry Ellis
#38 Alex Poythress

Small Forwards
#1 Shabazz Muhammad
#6 Devonta Pollard
#36 T.J. Warren

Shooting Guards
#8 Ricardo Ledo
#11 Archie Goodwin

Point Guards
#64 L.J. Rose

Based on Cal and staff's attendance at AAU games during the July eval period I would list McGary and Ellis as the priorities at the pf position. Shabazz is under a full out blitz for sure. Not convinced Alex is a priority at this point.

I'll agree that it sounded like Cal was after Bazz harder than Poythress, but I heard Poythress was a priority, maybe due to his proximity to Lexington.

You guys don't show that you've offered Jarnell Stokes at PF either. I thought you had.

No one really knows when it comes to recruiting but as of Monday UK had the following offers extended:

Centers
#12 Kaleb Tarczewski
#18 Dajuan Coleman

Power Forwards
#5 Mitch McGary
#7 Anthony Bennett
#14 Brandon Ashley
#19 Perry Ellis
#38 Alex Poythress

Small Forwards
#1 Shabazz Muhammad
#6 Devonta Pollard
#36 T.J. Warren

Shooting Guards
#8 Ricardo Ledo
#11 Archie Goodwin

Point Guards
#64 L.J. Rose

Based on Cal and staff's attendance at AAU games during the July eval period I would list McGary and Ellis as the priorities at the pf position. Shabazz is under a full out blitz for sure. Not convinced Alex is a priority at this point.

He won't get Shabazz. I can see him pulling McGary,Ellis, and Tarczewski.

VN Store

Back