Does this change the East picture?

VolinMichigan

Lifelong member of the Good Guys Club
Does Terrence Jones' decision to go to UK change the east picture? How is the combo of Kanter and Jones comparable to Patterson and Cousins?

Does Terrence Jones' decision to go to UK change the east picture? How is the combo of Kanter and Jones comparable to Patterson and Cousins?

Its not really. Drastically different games between players at their respective positions. Jones is obviously one of the most versatile PF's in this class on the perimeter and with the ball. Kanter's game extends out more but he can stil bang down low. Your going to lose some physical toughness and perhaps rebounding, but you trade it for agility and athleticism. (In Jones case).

As for it changing the East, it does make a difference IMO. Jones vs Harris should be an interesting freshman matchup.

Cousins and Patterson was better. I think Patterson kept them together. But Cal is not a good bench coach. I dont think this Ky team is as talented as Wall, Cousins,Patterson, Bledsole and so on.

Patterson had experience. This frontcourt has more talent potentially than last year.

Bottom line is that there are not two players in this ky class who are almost assured of being top 3 draft picks like j wall and cousins, but to not have ky as a potential top 10 team with this class is stupid.

People on here said no sec team would be preseason top 10. With this signing, both ky and florida could be included in that list. The east is stacked with 4 teams who should be ranked at some point and at least half the schools headed to the ncaas.

Looking at the whole class, this has to be one of the better cbb classes in the last 5 years on paper. We all know with eman and ramar smith that paper is not everything, but those on here who said kys talent would drop off a ton beclowned themselves. You know who you are.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

once cal goes to the bulls, some of the new recruits will go somewhere else

Yes. The SEC East again will be loaded and our 5th best team (UGA) will be better than the West #1.

Great pickup UK, Harris-Jones will be awesome!

Its not really. Drastically different games between players at their respective positions. Jones is obviously one of the most versatile PF's in this class on the perimeter and with the ball. Kanter's game extends out more but he can stil bang down low. Your going to lose some physical toughness and perhaps rebounding, but you trade it for agility and athleticism. (In Jones case).

As for it changing the East, it does make a difference IMO. Jones vs Harris should be an interesting freshman matchup.

I think I said a couple weeks ago that Jones is definitely a great player, but he's not going to change the landscape of the East. I think you just solidified yourselves as a serious contender for the SEC crown next season. Without Jones, you guys were looking at 2/3rd in the East. Now it will probably come down to a late season matchup with UK vs UT/UF to decide who wins the East.

I agree. KY will look different than last year, but will be very good. They will not run away with the SEC. The Harris vs. Jones match-up should be very interesting. Overall KY has the better talent, but they will likely always have a talent advantage while Cal is there.

Patterson had experience. This frontcourt has more talent potentially than last year.

Bottom line is that there are not two players in this ky class who are almost assured of being top 3 draft picks like j wall and cousins, but to not have ky as a potential top 10 team with this class is stupid.

People on here said no sec team would be preseason top 10. With this signing, both ky and florida could be included in that list. The east is stacked with 4 teams who should be ranked at some point and at least half the schools headed to the ncaas.

Looking at the whole class, this has to be one of the better cbb classes in the last 5 years on paper. We all know with eman and ramar smith that paper is not everything, but those on here who said kys talent would drop off a ton beclowned themselves. You know who you are.

No one said KY talent would drop off the chart, only that it was not as good as last year. I still agree with that.

terrance jones is more of a Tobias Harris type of player. He can go inside/out and plays tough D on multiple positions. I could see him having a bigger impact on the east than Kanter, who seems to be more of a myth than anything. UK will not be anywhere near as good of a rebounding team as they were last year. They will be a very good, young, team regardless though. I wouldnt be shocked to see ESPN slobber all over themselves and ranking them high for no reason.

Florida seems to be overrated to a point, but I still like our team, we seem to have a good mesh of young and veterans. I like our rebounding potential as well with Kenny Brian and Tobias potentially on the court at the same time.

Terrance is a very good player, but we knew that UK wasnt going to be as good as they were this past year regardless of who they signed. The east still seems jammed, but no runaway winner.

Why does a certain poster in this forum not understand the difference between claims that Florida won't be a top ten team and claims that Florida won't be a preseason top ten team? Is it really that hard?

Last edited:

This frontcourt has nowhere near the talent nor the depth. It isn't close.

KYs talent has dropped tremendously. None of these signees would have started on last year's team. They will still struggle to shoot it and might defend the perimeter a little better, but the paint presence is going to be very different. They brought a post guy off the bench last year who will be a top 15 pick. That's impressive.

KYs talent has dropped tremendously. None of these signees would have started on last year's team. They will still struggle to shoot it and might defend the perimeter a little better, but the paint presence is going to be very different. They brought a post guy off the bench last year who will be a top 15 pick. That's impressive.

Are you willing to go on record saying that SEC will be the 25th best conference this year? I mean, that is obviously what this post means.

I think in some ways Cal will be more comfortable coaching this team. Last year, I always had a feeling that there were more problems in the locker room than anybody wanted to let on.

What do you mean? Last year, they would replace Cousins with Orton. This year, they'll sub in for Kanter with Vargas.

This. Except I will add that I think this years team shoots it better from the perimeter. Mind you, we won't be setting any records, but there will be a few more options.

Wall and Cousins, as prospects, were more highly regarded and talented than any of UK's signees this year. I'd even venture that Wall exceeded expectations of his ability. Instead of just being the best PG of his class most of us consider him to be the best PG Calipari has coached, and that is saying A LOT.

Unless the coaching changes, Calipari won't win the SEC Title he has no respect for this year, and his team will underachieve yet again....

Wall and Cousins, as prospects, were more highly regarded and talented than any of UK's signees this year. I'd even venture that Wall exceeded expectations of his ability. Instead of just being the best PG of his class most of us consider him to be the best PG Calipari has coached, and that is saying A LOT.

Unless the coaching changes, Calipari won't win the SEC Title he has no respect for this year, and his team will underachieve yet again....
Anyone who thinks Wall is better than Rose or Evans is straight up dumb.

Agreed. I think Rose was the best PG that Calipari coached, followed by Evans, then Wall.

It depends on if you're talking about the PG as a position, or just players who played in the PG position. Evans isn't a true PG, IMO. Each player can do something the others can't, but all in all I agree Wall is not the best player at the point position that Calipari has coached.

VN Store

Back