The Big Man to fill-out the Vols' Class

Wise-Vol

may be Arnett Moultrie from UTEP.

While Arkansas and MSU may be his favorites right now, he may not have them as an option.

Gary Parrish has some interesting info here (scroll down): Community - CBSSports.com

This kid could be the missing piece for the squad Pearl needs to be a legitimate Final Four team. Moultrie is 6'11 235, but he is more of a power forward than Center. He'd have to sit out this next season, but would have two to play (even though he's likely gone to the NBA after one of those).

Anyone who has seen Tobias Harris play can attest to this skill as a Combo Forward. Even though Tobias is 6'9 (and may be 6'10 before he puts on an Orange uniform), the kid has JP Prince ball handling skill. In fact, many times in the McDonald's AA game, Tobias was bringing the ball up the court. He has unbelievable range. Bottom line -- the kid could play SF if the Vols have a guy like Moultrie in 2011 at PF with Kenny Hall at Center. A front line of guys that big would be a force. And that doesn't even include Jerrod Maymon, who is a beast in his own right, even at 6'6/6'7.

As Parrish points out, Moultrie is being viewed as a 2011 one and done recruit. That is even more important because the 2011 class is big-man light. There appears to be only a couple of traditional impact bigs in the 2011 top 50 right now and one of those is Michael Chandler, the former L'ville commit who many say has little shot of qualifying (which, I admit, is strange to say about a rising Jr., unless the light at the end of the academic tunnel is too far, far away).

(Maybe Pearl can load the roster with Memphis guys....through transfer).

We already know what the backcourt will look like in 2011 with Chris Jones and Kevin Ware coming in, along with Trae Golden, who will have already been there a year. Even if Hopson were to go Pro after this season, you'd still have those three and McCrae available on the wings. These four and the four forward/centers mentioned above, gives you an 8 man rotation without Bone, Wooldridge, or McBee.

What other possibilities are there? Well, that would still leave guys like Adonis Thomas, Kentavious Caldwell, and Kedren Johnson to fill-out that class.

That is the kind of roster that could put the Vols at the top of the short list for the Final Four in 2011.

may be Arnett Moultrie from UTEP.

While Arkansas and MSU may be his favorites right now, he may not have them as an option.

Gary Parrish has some interesting info here (scroll down): Community - CBSSports.com

This kid could be the missing piece for the squad Pearl needs to be a legitimate Final Four team. Moultrie is 6'11 235, but he is more of a power forward than Center. He'd have to sit out this next season, but would have two to play (even though he's likely gone to the NBA after one of those).

Anyone who has seen Tobias Harris play can attest to this skill as a Combo Forward. Even though Tobias is 6'9 (and may be 6'10 before he puts on an Orange uniform), the kid has JP Prince ball handling skill. In fact, many times in the McDonald's AA game, Tobias was bringing the ball up the court. He has unbelievable range. Bottom line -- the kid could play SF if the Vols have a guy like Moultrie in 2011 at PF with Kenny Hall at Center. A front line of guys that big would be a force. And that doesn't even include Jerrod Maymon, who is a beast in his own right, even at 6'6/6'7.

As Parrish points out, Moultrie is being viewed as a 2011 one and done recruit. That is even more important because the 2011 class is big-man light. There appears to be only a couple of traditional impact bigs in the 2011 top 50 right now and one of those is Michael Chandler, the former L'ville commit who many say has little shot of qualifying (which, I admit, is strange to say about a rising Jr., unless the light at the end of the academic tunnel is too far, far away).

(Maybe Pearl can load the roster with Memphis guys....through transfer).

We already know what the backcourt will look like in 2011 with Chris Jones and Kevin Ware coming in, along with Trae Golden, who will have already been there a year. Even if Hopson were to go Pro after this season, you'd still have those three and McCrae available on the wings. These four and the four forward/centers mentioned above, gives you an 8 man rotation without Bone, Wooldridge, or McBee.

What other possibilities are there? Well, that would still leave guys like Adonis Thomas, Kentavious Caldwell, and Kedren Johnson to fill-out that class.

That is the kind of roster that could put the Vols at the top of the short list for the Final Four in 2011.

I really enjoyed reading this! Well done.

I was wondering today what our prospects are in the post after Williams leaves next year. The recruiting sites don't seem to pay much attention to possible transfers, so I'm glad to see this because of the legit high school kids on our radar, none are post players. The timing would work perfectly here. It will be interesting to see how Hall develops over that time.

I was wondering today what our prospects are in the post after Williams leaves next year. The recruiting sites don't seem to pay much attention to possible transfers, so I'm glad to see this because of the legit high school kids on our radar, none are post players. The timing would work perfectly here. It will be interesting to see how Hall develops over that time.

I think Kenny Hall has the chance to be an outstanding player. He is tall (a 6'9 listing understates his height), long, and athletic. He also has a nice 10 foot jump shot. He looked as good as any freshman Center we've had recently short of Chism and Crews. Noteably he lacked the strength of either of those guys as a freshman and I think that limited him more than anything.

I expect much improvement from Hall as a sophomore and believe he will be one of the top SEC bigs in 2011 and 2012.

Great read. Sure hope Moultrie makes it here. Don't forget we'll have Cameron Tatum 2 more years. Also, a big get in the 2012 class would be Alex Poythress from Clarksville, TN. 6'7" 205 right now with 2 more years to grow. He's could easily become a 5 star by his senior year.

Great read. Sure hope Moultrie makes it here. Don't forget we'll have Cameron Tatum 2 more years. Also, a big get in the 2012 class would be Alex Poythress from Clarksville, TN. 6'7" 205 right now with 2 more years to grow. He's could easily become a 5 star by his senior year.

OMG, how could I forget Tatum? That 2011 starting line-up would be:

Jones
Tatum
Harris
Moultrie
Hall

Or

Jones
Hopson
Tatum
Moultrie
Harris

:)

Sounds right. Things will undoubtedly change. But..the nucleus is there with Cam,SHop,ToBias...
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Landing him would be huge for Pearl! Could you imagine teams having to worry about him and Tobias?!?

I live 10 min from Clarksville and have some friends that are there. He said he has seen him play a few times and doesnt think he is as good as people are making him out to be. I havent seen him so I cant say my thoughts but I will go watch him next year and see what I think about him.

Transfer U. I bet Bruce has done more with transfers than any other coach in any other sport.

Bob Knight wants to know if anyone has heard of Keith Smart and Dean Garrett.

VN Store

Back