2011 class

MikeHamiltonFan

What we lose after 2010
Going into 2011 we lose C Brian Williams, G Melvin Goins, F Steven Pearl, G Josh Bone and walk on G Michael Hubert.

The roster that is left
I will assume no one has an altered firearm and that Tobias Harris and Scotty Hopson do not leave early for the NBA by 2011.
0 Renaldo Woolridge G/F 6-8 208 Sr.-3L Sherman Oaks, Calif. (Harvard-Westlake HS)
13 Skylar McBee G 6-3 190 Jr.2l Rutledge, Tenn. (Rutledge HS)
20 Kenny Hall F 6-8 220 Jr.2L Stone Mountain, Ga. (Redan HS)
23 Cameron Tatum G 6-6 197 Sr.-3L Lithonia, Ga. (The Patterson School)
32 Scotty Hopson G 6-7 200 Sr.-3L Hopkinsville, Ky. (University Heights HS)
34 Jeronne Maymon F 6-6 240 Sr.-Tr. Madison, Wis. (Marquette University)
Sophomores would be
Tobias Harris,
Jordan McRae
Trae Golden

So this class and 2012 will have lots of potential PT as Woolridge, Tatum, Hopson and Maymon are all leaving, T Harris may leave for the NBA etc.

Florida looks to be bringing in very strong talent in 2011, and UK will probably have the number 1 class now no matter what we do, but I know Pearl has beaten both Cal and Billy D with a greater talent disparity than represented by our 2010 and 2011 classes and theirs.

Anyone who follows this closely want to take the extensive Rivals list and whittle it down some?
They have us in on 45 kids right now. I have taken out anything less than a 4 star. I think guys like Cinmeon Bowers represent the growth of the program in that they would have been coming to TN in 2007 or so but now TN will end up with more highly rated players.

How many scholarships do we use in 2011?

Prospects 4/5 with TN interest

G Chris Jones Memphis, Tennessee Melrose 5'10" 160 4 stars
Committed to Tennessee
Getting a Melrose kid away from Memphis is even bigger than Florida getting a Knoxville kid. When Pastner took 4 star guards he opened this door.

F Wayne Martin Jacksonville, Florida Providence Christian School 6'7" 190 4 stars
His list is 9 schools and only Ole Miss is high. We are on there with Kansas State and Memphis and lots of the SEC West at a medium.

G Jeremiah Davis Muncie, Indiana Muncie Central 6'3" 195 4 stars
10 Schools, no listed leader, you have to think if Crean can show signs of life at Indiana that they have a good shot with a kid like this. Izzo also reportedly really wants him.

F Quincy Miller High Point, North Carolina Westchester Country Day 6'8" 193 5 stars
20 schools on the list, much of the SEC, UCONN, Duke, Kansas etc. If Harris flourishes and looks ready to leave after another year it could help us in the running, but this guy looks unlikely. Brian Clifton is his AAU coach, the same guy who coached John Wall's AAU team. Lots of signs point this kid towards Cal...

F Johnny O'Bryant Cleveland, MS East Side 6'9" 235 5 stars

Baylor, Georgetown, Texas, Kansas, Kentucky...both Miss schools are in obviously and Memphis is close by and coming hard. Would be nice to get.

G Ben McLemore St. Louis, Missouri Eskridge 6'5" 185 4 stars
Kansas leads, we are back with 12 others.

G Josiah Turner Sacramento, California Sacramento 6'3" 175 4 stars
14 schools, Pac 10 and some West Coast guys, then schools we should not lose a prospect to like Marquette, and then Kansas and UK...

G Tyrone Johnson Plainfield, New Jersey Plainfield 6'3" 185 4 stars

13 schools. Some would say there is no way we beat the Big East big time programs who want this kid, and they will quote Zagsblog to prove it. Pearl is starting to have some success in this area.

G Jacoby Brissett West Palm Beach, Florida Dwyer 6'5" 225 4.5 4 stars
16 schools including UF, Miami and FSU, lots of Big 10 programs including Ohio Sttae. We are not going against Kansas or UK for him though. West Virginia can certainly recruit.

F Adonis Thomas Memphis, Tennessee Melrose 6'6" 205 5 stars

We have his teammate committed. We know he grew up a Memphis fan. We also know that Pastner is a new coach with a TON of talent in this class that may not look like world beaters in 2010. If they struggle and do not do much in the tournament, I would love to see Adonis (very smart kid) end up in Orange. Ohio State, UNC and Duke want him along with UK, but Memphis has to be the leader and if he does not go there I think we have a shot.

G Andre Hollins Memphis, Tennessee White Station 6'2" 200 4 stars
Dane Bradshaw and JP Prince's HS. Cut his list to less than 10 and we are on it. Has to be smart, top 10 includes Harvard, Stanford and Vanderbilt.

G Kedren Johnson Lewisburg, Tennessee Marshall County 6'4" 200 4 stars
We are one of 10 schools. No UK. Memphis and GT and Louisville and UF all look like competition.

F LaQuinton Ross Burlington, New Jersey Life Center Academy 6'8" 195 N/A 4 stars
We trail Baylor, Kentucky, Memphis and NC State amongst others.

G Kentavious Caldwell Greenville, Georgia Greenville 6'6" 185 N/A 4 stars
TN is one of 15 schools, and Pearl is building a GA pipeline.

F Rodney Hood Meridian, Mississippi Meridian 6'7" 180 N/A 4 stars TN is one of 12 and looks to be one of the best basketball programs he is offered by.

G Quinn Cook Hyattsville, Maryland DeMatha 6'1" 180 N/A 5 stars

We are one of 13 including Duke and Kansas and Kentucky trying to get this guy. Perhaps with Jones and Ware he does not represent a need position but he is obviously VERY talented. Same area as Selby, and Pearl would love to make inroads.

G Anthony Wroten Jr. Seattle, Washington Garfield 6'4" 180 N/A 5 stars
We are still on the list with 7 schools, Kentucky, Kansas, Syracuse, Villanova, UConn and Washington. Nice to see he is almost definitely coming east, and after considering programs in the east, we made his list with a few programs many on here think are much better than ours.

G Cedrick McAfee Memphis, Tennessee Melrose 6'3" 175 N/A 4 stars

So with Arkansas (Pel better have a great season next year), Ole Miss and Missouri listed as the only 3 schools that are high interest with TN, it looks like Pearl may finally break through in Memphis with more than just Chris Jones.

G Kevin Ware Conyers, Georgia Rockdale County 6'4" 167 5 stars
Committed to Tennessee
Super excited to have this guy.

C Nick Jacobs Atlanta, Georgia South Atlanta 6'8" 215 4 stars
Probably going to UGA, but we are in the hunt with just 7 others.

Other Prospects

G Tyler Harris Glen Head, New York Lutheran 6'7" 185
Did we promise his brother we would take him?
Does he actually have commitable offers from GT, UConn etc? He is the only non 4 or 5 star on the list, I left him on because the answer to question 1 impacts how many we can sign.

Michael Chandler C Indianapolis, IN Lawrence North

5 stars 6'10" 220

Pearl just went to see him. Are we even in the sweepstakes? Duke, Ohio State are tough competition and I have not read anything expressing his interest in us.

Final Thoughts

Overall Pearl has a good start to his 2011 class. If he can finish in the top 10 again, TN will be well on its way to being a top 10 program. I would love comments from people who follow basketball recruiting closely. Please do not put a lock comment like "Tobias Harris, Syracuse lock" unless you actually know that a kid is not listed yet but is a silent.

Last edited:
Good post. I heard Kedren Johnson was a lean to Vandy. At least thats what the talk was at the state tournament when I was there. Adonis would be a great get. Hall at the 5, Harris at the 4, Thomas/McRae at the 3, Ware/Golden at the 2, Jones/Ware at the 1. That's a pretty good lineup.

What we lose after 2010
Going into 2011 we lose C Brian Williams, G Melvin Goins, F Steven Pearl, G Josh Bone and walk on G Michael Hubert.

The roster that is left
I will assume no one has an altered firearm and that Tobias Harris and Scotty Hopson do not leave early for the NBA by 2011.
0 Renaldo Woolridge G/F 6-8 208 Sr.-3L Sherman Oaks, Calif. (Harvard-Westlake HS)
13 Skylar McBee G 6-3 190 Jr.2l Rutledge, Tenn. (Rutledge HS)
20 Kenny Hall F 6-8 220 Jr.2L Stone Mountain, Ga. (Redan HS)
23 Cameron Tatum G 6-6 197 Sr.-3L Lithonia, Ga. (The Patterson School)
32 Scotty Hopson G 6-7 200 Sr.-3L Hopkinsville, Ky. (University Heights HS)
34 Jeronne Maymon F 6-6 240 Sr.-Tr. Madison, Wis. (Marquette University)
Sophomores would be
Tobias Harris,
Jordan McRae
Trae Golden

So this class and 2012 will have lots of potential PT as Woolridge, Tatum, Hopson and Maymon are all leaving, T Harris may leave for the NBA etc.
Michael Chandler
Adonis Thomas
Kevin Ware
Chris Jones

Florida looks to be bringing in very strong talent in 2011, and UK will probably have the number 1 class now no matter what we do, but I know Pearl has beaten both Cal and Billy D with a greater talent disparity than represented by our 2010 and 2011 classes and theirs.

Anyone who follows this closely want to take the extensive Rivals list and whittle it down some?
They have us in on 45 kids right now. I have taken out anything less than a 4 star. I think guys like Cinmeon Bowers represent the growth of the program in that they would have been coming to TN in 2007 or so but now TN will end up with more highly rated players.

How many scholarships do we use in 2011?

Prospects 4/5 with TN interest

G Chris Jones Memphis, Tennessee Melrose 5'10" 160 4 stars
Committed to Tennessee
Getting a Melrose kid away from Memphis is even bigger than Florida getting a Knoxville kid. When Pastner took 4 star guards he opened this door.

F Wayne Martin Jacksonville, Florida Providence Christian School 6'7" 190 4 stars
His list is 9 schools and only Ole Miss is high. We are on there with Kansas State and Memphis and lots of the SEC West at a medium.

G Jeremiah Davis Muncie, Indiana Muncie Central 6'3" 195 4 stars
10 Schools, no listed leader, you have to think if Crean can show signs of life at Indiana that they have a good shot with a kid like this. Izzo also reportedly really wants him.

F Quincy Miller High Point, North Carolina Westchester Country Day 6'8" 193 5 stars
20 schools on the list, much of the SEC, UCONN, Duke, Kansas etc. If Harris flourishes and looks ready to leave after another year it could help us in the running, but this guy looks unlikely. Brian Clifton is his AAU coach, the same guy who coached John Wall's AAU team. Lots of signs point this kid towards Cal...

G Ben McLemore St. Louis, Missouri Eskridge 6'5" 185 4 stars
Kansas leads, we are back with 12 others.

G Josiah Turner Sacramento, California Sacramento 6'3" 175 4 stars
14 schools, Pac 10 and some West Coast guys, then schools we should not lose a prospect to like Marquette, and then Kansas and UK...

G Tyrone Johnson Plainfield, New Jersey Plainfield 6'3" 185 4 stars

13 schools. Some would say there is no way we beat the Big East big time programs who want this kid, and they will quote Zagsblog to prove it. Pearl is starting to have some success in this area.

G Jacoby Brissett West Palm Beach, Florida Dwyer 6'5" 225 4.5 4 stars
16 schools including UF, Miami and FSU, lots of Big 10 programs including Ohio Sttae. We are not going against Kansas or UK for him though. West Virginia can certainly recruit.

F Adonis Thomas Memphis, Tennessee Melrose 6'6" 205 5 stars

We have his teammate committed. We know he grew up a Memphis fan. We also know that Pastner is a new coach with a TON of talent in this class that may not look like world beaters in 2010. If they struggle and do not do much in the tournament, I would love to see Adonis (very smart kid) end up in Orange. Ohio State, UNC and Duke want him along with UK, but Memphis has to be the leader and if he does not go there I think we have a shot.

G Andre Hollins Memphis, Tennessee White Station 6'2" 200 4 stars
Dane Bradshaw and JP Prince's HS. Cut his list to less than 10 and we are on it. Has to be smart, top 10 includes Harvard, Stanford and Vanderbilt.

G Kedren Johnson Lewisburg, Tennessee Marshall County 6'4" 200 4 stars
We are one of 10 schools. No UK. Memphis and GT and Louisville and UF all look like competition.

F LaQuinton Ross Burlington, New Jersey Life Center Academy 6'8" 195 N/A 4 stars
We trail Baylor, Kentucky, Memphis and NC State amongst others.

G Kentavious Caldwell Greenville, Georgia Greenville 6'6" 185 N/A 4 stars
TN is one of 15 schools, and Pearl is building a GA pipeline.

F Rodney Hood Meridian, Mississippi Meridian 6'7" 180 N/A 4 stars TN is one of 12 and looks to be one of the best basketball programs he is offered by.

G Quinn Cook Hyattsville, Maryland DeMatha 6'1" 180 N/A 5 stars

We are one of 13 including Duke and Kansas and Kentucky trying to get this guy. Perhaps with Jones and Ware he does not represent a need position but he is obviously VERY talented. Same area as Selby, and Pearl would love to make inroads.

G Anthony Wroten Jr. Seattle, Washington Garfield 6'4" 180 N/A 5 stars
We are still on the list with 7 schools, Kentucky, Kansas, Syracuse, Villanova, UConn and Washington. Nice to see he is almost definitely coming east, and after considering programs in the east, we made his list with a few programs many on here think are much better than ours.

G Cedrick McAfee Memphis, Tennessee Melrose 6'3" 175 N/A 4 stars

So with Arkansas (Pel better have a great season next year), Ole Miss and Missouri listed as the only 3 schools that are high interest with TN, it looks like Pearl may finally break through in Memphis with more than just Chris Jones.

G Kevin Ware Conyers, Georgia Rockdale County 6'4" 167 5 stars
Committed to Tennessee
Super excited to have this guy.

C Nick Jacobs Atlanta, Georgia South Atlanta 6'8" 215 4 stars
Probably going to UGA, but we are in the hunt with just 7 others.

Other Prospects

G Tyler Harris Glen Head, New York Lutheran 6'7" 185
Did we promise his brother we would take him?
Does he actually have commitable offers from GT, UConn etc? He is the only non 4 or 5 star on the list, I left him on because the answer to question 1 impacts how many we can sign.

Michael Chandler C Indianapolis, IN Lawrence North

5 stars 6'10" 220

Pearl just went to see him. Are we even in the sweepstakes? Duke, Ohio State are tough competition and I have not read anything expressing his interest in us.

Final Thoughts

Overall Pearl has a good start to his 2011 class. If he can finish in the top 10 again, TN will be well on its way to being a top 10 program. I would love comments from people who follow basketball recruiting closely. Please do not put a lock comment like "Tobias Harris, Syracuse lock" unless you actually know that a kid is not listed yet but is a silent.

Excellent post. I'm shocked that we only have one post player on this list.

Excellent post. I'm shocked that we only have one post player on this list.

While Chandler and Thomas are the top targets I see 4-5 others on the list as well. Do you mean one center?

I think Pearl would not mind having no true C if his lineup includes 6-8 to 6-10 F and a third guard who is 6-8 with other guards who are 6-1 to 6-4. As long as they are fast enough to run, they should not get outrebounded by anyone really. Kenny Hall is the center of the future body type I think for the UT bball program, and B Williams may be the largest post player we have for a long time. I do not think we will ever have another Jurick coming into our program while Pearl is the coach.

We already have 2 five star guards for 2011 (Chris Jones will be a 5-star when the updated rankings come out) so we only need 1 post and our 2011 class will be done. We only take 3 IMO

While Chandler and Thomas are the top targets I see 4-5 others on the list as well. Do you mean one center?

I think Pearl would not mind having no true C if his lineup includes 6-8 to 6-10 F and a third guard who is 6-8 with other guards who are 6-1 to 6-4. As long as they are fast enough to run, they should not get outrebounded by anyone really. Kenny Hall is the center of the future body type I think for the UT bball program, and B Williams may be the largest post player we have for a long time. I do not think we will ever have another Jurick coming into our program while Pearl is the coach.

I agree. I just don't see anyone listed except the one true post player that fits the body type of a 6-8 or 6-9 post player.

If we do not get a transfer to add to this class, I cannot imagine that we do not try to take 4 in 2011. Hopson, T Harris would be very strong surprises to stay 4 years. We need the depth replenished after E Man's heart problem etc.

You need to add Johnny O'Bryant to the list from Cleveland, Mississippi. 5 Star Power Forward.

So assuming that hopson and harris stay for 2011 and nobody leaves execpt for the graduates..how many scholarships will we have for 2011?

Cross off J. Davis

"At this point Jeremiah Davis insists that he has no timeline, and said he has standing offers from Michigan State, Indiana, Cincinnati, Miami-Florida, and Dayton. Also Ohio State and Purdue are in the mix."

Watching johnson from lewisburg play right now against hunters lane. Man he lives at the free throw line. What is our standing with him?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Michael Chandler should be giving an official. A great season with Tobias Harris and the 2011 class will be incredible. Pearl may soon be in an izzo less college world. Thinks look good

We already have 2 five star guards for 2011 (Chris Jones will be a 5-star when the updated rankings come out) so we only need 1 post and our 2011 class will be done. We only take 3 IMO

If the Vols get Chandler, Jones, and Ware, we would be happy, but no way Bruce slows down on Caldwell. If he can get Caldwell, he will take him as a 4th.

In fact, I'd say Bruce will use that 4th spot if he can get a top 30 player. Caldwell seems to be the most realistic choice, though we have tried on Thomas and O'Bryant, but I don't see either of those happening.

A 4 man class of Jones, Ware, Chandler and Caldwell (or even Tyler Harris) wouldn't surprise me, but I think of those Chandler is the most suspect.

We lose Williams and Goins for sure and many speculate that Hopson is going to go after this season if he has even a decent year. Bone's schollie is likely year to year. Thus, that would give us:

Tatum
Woolridge
Maymon
McBee
Hall
Harris
McCrae
Golden
Jones
Ware

with three scholarships left to give. With the way the Vols are looking with 2012 recruits, I wouldn't be shocked if Chandler and Caldwell (or a Thomas or O'Bryant) are the only guys we'd take at this point in 2011, leaving Bone on scholarship one more year.

Then, after 2011, we'd lose Tatum, Bone, Woolridge, and Harris (if he is indeed 2 and through). We'd have 4 to give in the 2012 class (maybe 5 if Chandler is a 1 and done) and that class is freaking loaded. At the very top of the list is Center Tony Parker and swing Alex Poythress. And the Vols are in as good of shape as they can be at this stage with those guys. On top of that, you have guys like Tokoto (having Maymon can't hurt), Jarnell Stokes (whose brother is a UT student), the guys out of Indiana (including Smith-Rivera and Patterson), other guys out of Wisconsin (Nolan and Lomomba), Jurkin (the 7 footer out of NC that we haven't offered yet), and the Atlanta Celtics 2012 players :) -- Jordan Adams and Damien Wilson.

Best case, how bout a 2012 team of:

Jones and Golden at PG
Ware and McBee at SG
Hall and Chandler at Center
McCrae and Poythress at SF
Maymon and Parker at PF

Use your imagination regarding the other 3 because at least 1 of them is likely to be a 4 star SG that puts McBee on the bench.:drool:

Last edited:
Thanks wisevol for the excellent post. Can't imagine us being good enough to pass on Harris jr but this is a new era of Pearl recruiting.

Best case, how bout a 2012 team of:

Jones and Golden at PG
Ware and McBee at SG
Hall and Chandler at Center
McCrae and Poythress at SF
Maymon and Parker at PF

I see it more as:

PG - Jones (So), Golden (Jr)
SG - Caldwell (So), Ware (So)
SF - McRae (Jr), Polythress/Adams/Patterson (Fr) ---> If two studs commit, Ware could potentially be bumped out
PF - Hall (Sr), Maymon (Sr)
C - Chandler (So), Parker (Fr) ---> Our freshman bigs usually always play center

I see it more as:

PG - Jones (So), Golden (Jr)
SG - Caldwell (So), Ware (So)
SF - McRae (Jr), Polythress/Adams/Patterson (Fr) ---> If two studs commit, Ware could potentially be bumped out
PF - Hall (Sr), Maymon (Sr)
C - Chandler (So), Parker (Fr) ---> Our freshman bigs usually always play center

Caldwell would be great. Ware isn't getting bumped by anyone.

Kenny Hall can't play PF in Pearl's system. Neither can Chandler, who is unique in that his inside, back to the basket game is developed at his age. Parker may be able to because of his range.

Caldwell would be great. Ware isn't getting bumped by anyone.

Kenny Hall can't play PF in Pearl's system. Neither can Chandler, who is unique in that his inside, back to the basket game is developed at his age. Parker may be able to because of his range.

I think Kenny would be a much better candidate for PF than Parker. Kenny may not have three point range (although I've never seen him take one so maybe he does), but he has a decent looking stroke at 15+ feet. With Hall at PF, you also get the most talent on the floor for longer periods of time.

Caldwell is a must get, IMO. Long, athletic but a big time shooter. I think he is Pearl's ideal SG/SF.

VN Store

Back