Memphis People, Chris Jones - What is this?

Unimane

I found this cryptic thread on the Memphis site about Chris Jones meeting with Pastner or something. Then it went on about, what I assume, was Jones "pulling an Austin Rivers". It was then, aslo cryptically, confirmed by the resident "expert" Eaterwood.

So, not to peddle rumor, but this is how stuff often starts out and I'm just curious as to the truth of it. This is why I hate recruiting Memphis because there's no shortage of Vol haters to pressure the kids to avoid Knoxville and they've been die hard Tigers fans since they were sperm.

Chris Jones

I found this cryptic thread on the Memphis site about Chris Jones meeting with Pastner or something. Then it went on about, what I assume, was Jones "pulling an Austin Rivers". It was then, aslo cryptically, confirmed by the resident "expert" Eaterwood.

So, not to peddle rumor, but this is how stuff often starts out and I'm just curious as to the truth of it. This is why I hate recruiting Memphis because there's no shortage of Vol haters to pressure the kids to avoid Knoxville and they've been die hard Tigers fans since they were sperm.

Chris Jones

Jones HS coach was on the Gary Parrish radio show yesterday and made a throw away comment about Memphis being after Jones. We'll be fine as long as Jones ends up at Hargrave.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I sure hopw this isn't true. We were the first to offer Jones and showed interest when Memphis was showing none. Last time I heard, he was for sure going to Hargrave. I hope this is still the case case I want CJ out of Memphis

Jones HS coach was on the Gary Parrish radio show yesterday and made a throw away comment about Memphis being after Jones. We'll be fine as long as Jones ends up at Hargrave.

:good!:

until he got back to Memphis. Every effort will be made to turn the kid - if not to Memphis at least away from Tennessee, especially since he's turning into a borderline 5 star prospect.

This is the reason you will see Tennessee continue to recruit other 2011 guards until they get Chris Jones signed LOI.

Chris Jones

until he got back to Memphis. Every effort will be made to turn the kid - if not to Memphis at least away from Tennessee, especially since he's turning into a borderline 5 star prospect.

This is the reason you will see Tennessee continue to recruit other 2011 guards until they get Chris Jones signed LOI.

He is not borderline anymore, he WILL be a 5-star when the updated 2011 rankings come out

Unfortunately, these early commitments mean very little any more. Too much time and too many things change to count on actually getting these players. This year is a perfect example as we lost both early PG commitments.

It's alright we didn't need him anyways... Lets build our program wiht people who WANT to be here..

Foolish to say we don't need these players. We just need to get our share of them. At least we are in the running for elite players---that's a great improvement from the past.

Exactly... Just wanted to see how the old tried and true "we didn't need him anyways" was working today. spot on

I would not fret. As I have said on here before, Jones' HS coach is about as slime ball as it gets and is always out for himself, not the kids. As for Easterwood, he is just trying to fuel the fire as normal (and his AAU club is the local rival to Jones').

Pastner is really connected to Jones' AAU coaches, as are a lot of big time coaches. That did not matter when Chris committed to Tennessee and based on conversations I have had with some of those guys, I don't think it will matter down the road.

This is not a Chris Crawford type situation as some of the Memphis fans want to make us think. That was more due to his relationship with Joe Jackson and a late full court press by a team that he had always been fond of (not to mention some nifty negative recruiting targeted to momma). Meanwhile, Jackson and Jones are not to fond of each other from everything I have ever heard/been told about the two.

Jones is headed to Hargrave soon enough, and that will do nothing but help him and help TN.

FWIW, Pearl has been in town as much as the NCAA rules allow. Jones is a big reason, but also for a few other prospects for the next 2-3 years. Southwind H.S. is a school that Pearl has been seen at numerous times.

"He is not borderline anymore, he WILL be a 5-star when the updated 2011 rankings come out"

No, he won't. Especially given that he is in the 2010 class.

I would not fret. As I have said on here before, Jones' HS coach is about as slime ball as it gets and is always out for himself, not the kids. As for Easterwood, he is just trying to fuel the fire as normal (and his AAU club is the local rival to Jones').

Pastner is really connected to Jones' AAU coaches, as are a lot of big time coaches. That did not matter when Chris committed to Tennessee and based on conversations I have had with some of those guys, I don't think it will matter down the road.
Agreed. And I assume you are talking about Cowboy?

Meanwhile, Jackson and Jones are not to fond of each other from everything I have ever heard/been told about the two.
A big reason that Memphis is not and really hasn't been in the Jones talk much IMO.

FWIW, Pearl has been in town as much as the NCAA rules allow. Jones is a big reason, but also for a few other prospects for the next 2-3 years. Southwind H.S. is a school that Pearl has been seen at numerous times.
Jonathan Williams III is likely to be the Adonis Thomas ('11)/Jarnell Stokes ('12) of the 2013 class. Pretty amazing to be 6'8" and as fluid as he is......and be a freshman. I haven't seen a lot of him but everything I hear is very, very good. :thumbsup:

"He is not borderline anymore, he WILL be a 5-star when the updated 2011 rankings come out"

No, he won't. Especially given that he is in the 2010 class.

Yes he will and he is in the 2011 class.

VN Store

Back