Eloy Vargas?

zjcvols

"On a Tennessee saturday night."
Staff member
Eloy Vargas is a JUCO player from Miami, Florida. I couldn't find anywhere what schools were listed for him. But in 2007-2008 he was a top 30 player. He's 6'10, 220. Does anybody know if we have any interest in him?

Wasn't he a Gator at some point? I remember him being really skinny but if he put on some weight, he could be a good pickup.

Wasn't he a Gator at some point? I remember him being really skinny but if he put on some weight, he could be a good pickup.
yep. he was at Florida for one year though he didn't really. he got injured and when he got healthy he was marshmallow soft. academic effort/ability wasn't there either. perhaps a year at a JUCO will have helped him gain weight and focus on school.

yep. he was at Florida for one year though he didn't really. he got injured and when he got healthy he was marshmallow soft. academic effort/ability wasn't there either. perhaps a year at a JUCO will have helped him gain weight and focus on school.

I have no idea if he even have looked at him, but you think we would be worth a pick up if you need a big man (like UT)?

I have no idea if he even have looked at him, but you think we would be worth a pick up if you need a big man (like UT)?
if you've got academic support staff who speak Spanish and don't mind gambling on a guy with a high upside, then he'd be well work a pickup. if you're looking for a can't-miss prospect Vargas is not your guy.

he's too soft to be a center and i'm not sure how he'd fit in with what I've seen from Pearl and how he uses his PFs.

He'll probably end up at Arizona. Wanted to go to Kentucky, but some SEC rule wouldn't allow it.
Probably because you can't transfer to another school in conference without giving up 2 years instead of 1 year.

But if he went to JUCO, he could have used the same loophole as Brent Scheaffer.

Probably because you can't transfer to another school in conference without giving up 2 years instead of 1 year.

But if he went to JUCO, he could have used the same loophole as Brent Scheaffer.

He is in JUCO, so I assume that he could play here.

He is in JUCO, so I assume that he could play here.

Kentucky and Cal have been on Vargas for a long time now. He has 0% chance of getting to UK or we would already have him more than likely. Problem is, He cannot play for ANY SEC school. And there is 0% likely hood that he will.

i think vargas was still a last resort for kentucky...it really does not matter..billy did not want him to play in the sec when he granted him his relief.

unless he has improved alot ,i really do not think that he would help kentucky or tennesse out that much

So is it pretty certain we're trying to pick up another guy this year, or are we going to just keep it as is?

Wonder how much meeks knew. The new rivals article has his cool on arizona and likely headed to the sec.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Interesting to think what billy d could have done if cheney had stayed, calathes had stayed, vargas had not flamed out and gone to juco etc.

Dan werner would not have been playing like a giant zero offensively for them if highly rated frontcourt players worked for them.

Interesting to think what billy d could have done if cheney had stayed, calathes had stayed, vargas had not flamed out and gone to juco etc.

Dan werner would not have been playing like a giant zero offensively for them if highly rated frontcourt players worked for them.
can't forget Kadji having to take a medical redshirt last year either. heck with the way things have gone down in our frontcourt I would have been happy if Chaney and Vargas had just been healthy their only season at Florida in 08-09 and Chaney hadn't gotten into a verbal argument with a coach which got him suspended for the remainder of the season.

our interior depth this coming season is precisely why Fox Sports and ESPN have us in as a preseason top 10 team. as far as bigs go we had just two (1 SO and 1 FR) in 07-08 and again just two (1 SO and 1 FR) in 08-09. Finally got back to the NCAA tournament in the toughest the SEC East has ever been with a frontcourt of three (1 JR transfer, 1 JR and 1 FR). Man is it going to be fun this coming season with seven (2 SR, 1 RSO, 1 SO and 3 FR).

He'll probably end up at Arizona. Wanted to go to Kentucky, but some SEC rule wouldn't allow it.

Kentucky and Cal have been on Vargas for a long time now. He has 0% chance of getting to UK or we would already have him more than likely. Problem is, He cannot play for ANY SEC school. And there is 0% likely hood that he will.

Apparently he is now eligible to play at UK and is taking an official visit.

"As Kentucky fans (and likely the coaching staff) continues to yearn for another big body to throw around next year was the news that former Florida center Eloy Vargas will visit Kentucky. Vargas entered Florida as the nation’s #26 overall player in 2008 and, like Drew Franklin, saw far less action than he expected. He played in only nine games, averaging less than a point per game, and eventually transferred to Miami-Dade Junior College, a program that sent about 32 guys to Division 1 last year, including Darnell Dodson."

I think it must be the loophole where he attended Junior college, which now apparently makes him eligible to play in the SEC again.

Kentucky Sports Radio Blog Archive Ice Cube’s Wednesday News and Views

Apparently he is now eligible to play at UK and is taking an official visit.

"As Kentucky fans (and likely the coaching staff) continues to yearn for another big body to throw around next year was the news that former Florida center Eloy Vargas will visit Kentucky. Vargas entered Florida as the nation’s #26 overall player in 2008 and, like Drew Franklin, saw far less action than he expected. He played in only nine games, averaging less than a point per game, and eventually transferred to Miami-Dade Junior College, a program that sent about 32 guys to Division 1 last year, including Darnell Dodson."

I think it must be the loophole where he attended Junior college, which now apparently makes him eligible to play in the SEC again.

Kentucky Sports Radio Blog Archive Ice Cube’s Wednesday News and Views

Would he be eligible this year?

can't forget Kadji having to take a medical redshirt last year either. heck with the way things have gone down in our frontcourt I would have been happy if Chaney and Vargas had just been healthy their only season at Florida in 08-09 and Chaney hadn't gotten into a verbal argument with a coach which got him suspended for the remainder of the season.

our interior depth this coming season is precisely why Fox Sports and ESPN have us in as a preseason top 10 team. as far as bigs go we had just two (1 SO and 1 FR) in 07-08 and again just two (1 SO and 1 FR) in 08-09. Finally got back to the NCAA tournament in the toughest the SEC East has ever been with a frontcourt of three (1 JR transfer, 1 JR and 1 FR). Man is it going to be fun this coming season with seven (2 SR, 1 RSO, 1 SO and 3 FR).

You really think you will be ranked in preseason top 10s over giants of basketball success like did not make the tournament in a down ACC last year Va Tech?

You really think you will be ranked in preseason top 10s over giants of basketball success like did not make the tournament in a down ACC last year Va Tech?
they already are. FoxSprts has us at #9 and ESPN's came out yesterday and had us at #10. ESPN had VT at #22 and the Vols at #18.

Last edited:
I could understand Baylor a little more than Florida. They only get older. They don't have any significant newcomers and still have that midget as their only PG.
Two years ago, everyone was hyping Baylor going into '08-'09. They missed the tournament altogether. I'll believe Scott Drew puts together back to back exceptional seasons when I see it. Kansas State, Kansas, and Missouri will all finish ahead of Baylor in the Big 12. Won't be shocked if Texas and A&M do, too.

VN Store

Back