My thoughts on Selby

i2amavol

Mark Maggard started an interesting thread below, but it has apparently turned into a shouting match. I think he raises some good points about the fact that Tennessee may have been left in the picture just to avoid controversy. Kentucky may have been left out for the same reason. I will leave that to the people in the know.

I will say that I wanted Selby to come to Tennessee. What little I have seen of him, he is a real game-changing talent. He would have changed the whole outlook for next season. I really feel that we would have had a season like Kentucky had this year.

It would have upped Tennessee's profile nationally. At least for a short time, we would have been among the "elite".

Having said that, Tennessee is on a good track right now. Recruiting - even without Selby - is going really well. We have a top-25 recruit coming in next year at point guard. We have a top 5 class this year. Chris Jones is looking like a winner... Our current players are not exactly slouches...

I often say that you need a solid foundation to build on. Selby might have been a part of that foundation, or he might have been a distraction from it. We will never know...but I can say that I slept just fine last night.

I agree

I'm not going to cry about Selby not coming to UT. I think that he felt he owed it to Bruce Pearl to keep our name in the mix. I'm definitely not going to slander this kid's name and all the other things that I've seen our fans do.

If the NCAA doesn't take a hard look at the Selby recruitment, then AAU basketball and the college recruiting process is about to look like the Mafia.

And, to be clear, I'm not accusing Kansas of doing anything wrong.

But Selby's college choice was dictated by out$ide influence$

Chris Jones will be a 5 star when the new rankings come out so if Ware stays where he is that gives us 2 five-star guards so far for 2011

We had selby for how long? Looks good right now for next year, but its a looooooong way away.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I really wanted him but at the expense of sounding bitter, I am kind of glad he isn't a Vol. Yes, I know that's cliche after you've been spurned but...

Exactly how long will he be in Lawrence?

"God willing one year," Selby said. "But I have to get where I need to be."

Doesn't really sound like he cares about the school/team he will be playing for or winning at the college level. Just money.

I'm also not fond of the fact that he decommitted because of his mom. He is legally an adult now and his first major decision as an adult was made by his mother. It's cool that he respects and loves his mom but it's not cool that he is letting other people make decisions for him.

As long as he is happy, I guess that's all that matters. I will be rooting against him though and not him specifically but Kansas in general. Never liked Kansas or Bill Self. Don't like Marcus Morris either. He comes off as a jerk on the court.

If the NCAA doesn't take a hard look at the Selby recruitment, then AAU basketball and the college recruiting process is about to look like the Mafia.

I agree with you, but isn't all of this already the case?

Selby has a troubling level of ego, he could be trouble for many teams, including the Vols. We have a great recruiting class and will do famously without Selby.

You can say that. But apparently a big part of it was the fact Pearl has put nobody in the NBA other than C.J. Watson.

VN Store

Back