UNC Wilmington Will Now Learn To Love Buzzball.

Agreed. While it is a step-up, I guess, why anyone would hire Buzz, considering his total lack of commitment to stay at a school longer than a year, is beyond me.

Serious question: What is it that makes him a bad coach? Are his X's and O's that bad? Can he not manage motivate his players?

It's amazing what being MJ's roommate will do.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Serious question: What is it that makes him a bad coach? Are his X's and O's that bad? Can he not manage motivate his players?

good question.

Recruiting - He reeled in CJ and Lofton while he was here, no? Not McD's AAs, but shows that he either had an eye for talented guys who could contribute, or he got lucky.

Xs and Os - probably not a strong suit, and his teams seemed more fluid than some of our other God-awful coaches (not that that's saying much). his pre-game prep seemed better than his in-game decision making.

Motivating players - perhaps this is a big part of it, b/c the feeling I got after watching so many games was "listless." Perhaps he was too nice and soft with the guys - did anyone fear him?

good question.

Recruiting - He reeled in CJ and Lofton while he was here, no? Not McD's AAs, but shows that he either had an eye for talented guys who could contribute, or he got lucky.

Xs and Os - probably not a strong suit, and his teams seemed more fluid than some of our other God-awful coaches (not that that's saying much). his pre-game prep seemed better than his in-game decision making.

Motivating players - perhaps this is a big part of it, b/c the feeling I got after watching so many games was "listless." Perhaps he was too nice and soft with the guys - did anyone fear him?
He got Watson because CJ had family who pushed UT and got Lofton because nobody else of any stature recruited him. Justin Albrecht and Damion Harris are better examples of Peterson's recruiting.

good question.

Didn't he also recruit Tyler Smith?

He got Watson because CJ had family who pushed UT and got Lofton because nobody else of any stature recruited him. Justin Albrecht and Damion Harris are better examples of Peterson's recruiting.

lucky then.

Hearing those names, I'm reminded how sad those days were and how much better they are now.

So I guess the easier question would be what does he do well? He's seems then to be the classic case of not what you know, but who you know.

Athletic director Kelly Mehrtens is arguably the worst AD in the country. Fundrasing by the Seahawk Club was 2 million per in 2002 with 1800 members. Last year donations dipped to 700k with 1000 fewer members from 2002.

A couple of alumni i know said she is a complete waste. They said fundraising, communication and morale in the department is abysmal.

My understanding is that he is just lazy. He apparently spent way too much time on the golf course while a coach at UT.

I don't understand why this guy cannot stay at a program. Does he jump ship every chance he gets because he is afraid of the wheels falling off like it did at UT?

I don't understand why this guy cannot stay at a program. Does he jump ship every chance he gets because he is afraid of the wheels falling off like it did at UT?

MJ grew up in Wilmington. Buzz getting a job there is no coincidence. He will always be his little *****.

The coincidence of Buzz getting the job in Jordan's hometown is just too much for me. Did Buzz woo the AD with a tour of MJ's childhood home?

The most perplexing thing about the Buzz era (other than, well, everything) was his seeming inability to close out games that Tennessee was leading with a minute left or less in the game. Georgia, West Virginia, and the Louisville games come to mind.

There were plenty more.

Oh, and his 1-8 record against UK was awesome too.

I am obviously not a Buzz fan either, but IIRC didn't he have Jamont Gordon committed then he got fired or something along those lines?

Lofton, Jujuan, Tyler Smith, and most likely Jamont Gordon would have all played together for 2 or 3 years, had Buzz not been fired.

Lofton, Jujuan, Tyler Smith, and most likely Jamont Gordon would have all played together for 2 or 3 years, had Buzz not been fired.

We would have been lucky to make the NIT with that roster if Buzz had not been fired.

Never liked him as a coach but always seemed like a classy guy,
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back