It scares me

BloodRUNZOrange

KrazzyKiffinKilla
It scares me that i am more excited about baketball season than i am about the upcoming football season.

I think it was because last offseason it was so exciting and we where in it for the best players in the country. i loved our staff and they knew how to go get kids and what they wanted to hear.

with this new staff im worried thats all. dont hate on me because you know alot of people are.

bruce pearl is the model of what it taked to recruit and get attention to your school and to win.

coach dooley is a no nonsense type that doesint really come off well in front of a camra ( and before you say that doesint matter then you dont understand what kind of world we live in today.)

i think dooleys only chance is if he can come in and win with these players and really shock people. because if he doesint he will be so far behind flordia, alabama, auburn, LSU that he wont be able to recover. thats my 2cents

We shock Florida or Alabama this season.. Dont be scared.

Drink beer heavily like the rest of us and let the season play out.

We certainly have some rough times ahead football-wise. Not on the Dooley bandwagon either.

Always been more of a basketball person since I moved here. It was alot cheaper to go to, especially during the Buzz Peterson years.

I would say I'm more excited for basketball as usual but I'm always ready for football season. The saddest part of the sporting year is about to come up. Once the NBA Playoffs are over, absolute dead zone. Thank goodness we have the World Cup this year.

well that doesint really help me because im in AA haha, so ill just drink alot of water and hope for the best...:)

yeah im deff not on the dooley bandwagon...i hope he does good but...i just dont see it. say whatever you want about kiffin but he had this entire fanbase pounding their chest and willing to drive to recruits houses if need be. (litteraly haha) college football is all about having fun and being flashy. all this talk about "being a guy with character" doesint mean didly to a 17 year old kid. its if he thinks they are going to win.

so if dooley come in and beats people we thought we would get beat by then i will say he has a chance...but if not i give him 2 years. (i know its not fair with the roster he has but thats life.)

DD has to win whether he has good media presence or not. That's the same for all coaches. The flash and glitz can only last so long.

Personally, even though our football team is in a slump and our basketball team is good and getting better... I will always be more excited about football season. That is just a personal opinion. I like basketball, but I LOVE football. I guess that it is because I played football every year from 6 years old to my sophomore year in college and never play organized basketball. Even though the basketball team is better than the football team right now, I think the University of Tennessee will always be thought of as a football school. Things like this come and go from year to year. Wait until CDD gets the team turned around and we will be on here posting about how we ever could have wondered if Tennessee was turning into a basketball school.

It scares me that i am more excited about baketball season than i am about the upcoming football season.
Please explain the correlation between how excited you are and success on the field. What did excitement get you last year? A 7-6 record. A coach that betrayed UT... and a top 10 recruiting class that was maybe 3 or 4 spots below what it would have been had Kiffin not stabbed UT in the back 3 weeks before NSD.

I think it was because last offseason it was so exciting and we where in it for the best players in the country. i loved our staff and they knew how to go get kids and what they wanted to hear.
So you admit that you are basically pining for Kiffin. Let the man crush go... he's gone. He doesn't love you anymore... he never did. He was just using you to get what he really wanted.

So you effectively loved the staff because they lied to recruits?

FWIW, UT looks to be in on many of the same caliber of players that would have been realistic "gets" had the old staff stayed. This staff is just focusing on talent that's closer to home and not wasting their time chasing long shots.

I'm glad I suppose that it made you "feel good" that UT was "in on" guys who weren't going to sign with UT... I like the GA strategy myself.

with this new staff im worried thats all. dont hate on me because you know alot of people are.
I was worried about the old staff... You apparently weren't... and where did that get you?

I have not bought into DD. I had not bought into CLK. Both did/have done things I like and things I don't like. The best record at UT between the two of them so far is 7-6... and I find that completely dissatisfying.

bruce pearl is the model of what it taked to recruit and get attention to your school and to win.
Don't want to be too hard on you but BB recruiting vs football recruiting is an apples to oranges comparison. You can win a NC in basketball with one good recruiting class. You need 2-5 in a row for football.

coach dooley is a no nonsense type that doesint really come off well in front of a camra ( and before you say that doesint matter then you dont understand what kind of world we live in today.)
Yes I do and no it doesn't. Many different styles work. The most important thing for CLK was to make as much noise as possible. The most important thing for DD is to visit as many living rooms, kitchen tables, and coaches' offices as possible. There are different routes to the same goal.

While CLK was getting kicked out of schools last year, DD is building/reinforcing relationships with coaches at the some of the best FB HS's in the SE.

If it works to get talent and DD can coach then his method will yield the best chance for long term success. Face it, CLK was building a resume... not a program... at UT.

i think dooleys only chance is if he can come in and win with these players and really shock people. because if he doesint he will be so far behind flordia, alabama, auburn, LSU that he wont be able to recover. thats my 2cents

CLK was probably going to give UT 3 or 4 years. Maybe one championship but who knows. In his wake, someone else would still have to either do it exactly the same way or do what Dooley is doing and establish credibility with coaches and players in the SE.

It is very apparent that CLK recruited players to himself and not to UT. It was about CLK's success, not UT's. If he had built a team that way there would have been mass attrition when he left.

Your "fear" is misplaced. If DD fails it will be because he can't coach and not because he can't get the talent to win IMO. If he's fired in 3 years, he will leave the program at least as well off as it would have been had Kiffin quit after 3 years.

Just let DD and his staff get in a full season and a recruiting class of "his" recruits and lets see if things are looking up before we start thinking he cant possibly get this turned around.

I think the timing of the two hires is what makes you feel bad about Dooley. Kiffin was hired with several months to recruit, and there are alot of junkies that follow the program at that time. He was able to run his mouth, get on TV, etc. Dooley had no time for anything except to talk to kids and try to save the class. At this time last year Kiffin hardly had any recruits, and it was slow just like now. I have the exact same concerns now as I had then. I really believe we are better off in the long run with Dooley, I am really happy that Kiffin is gone. I supported him because he was the coach of my Volunteers, but it really got old defending him all of the time. I think he would have been quieter this year and I would have been more comfortable, but he still liked the attention. I would prefer to get attention from play on the field, not from the mouth of my coach. My 2 cents and your 2 cents, still not worth a nickel.

Yeah, he's a lot like Nick Saban in that aspect, and you're right; he's definitely not getting it done in the world we live in today.

There are two things that scare me: nuclear weapons and carneys.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Could we be changing from a football to basketball school?:eek:hmy:

Nope, I think in a couple of years we will be real happy because we are good at both. It is nice to be good in basketball, but most of us would trade a national championship in basketball for one football victory over Florida or Alabama.

Last edited:
Nope, I think in a couple of years we will be real happy because we are good at both. It is nice to be good in basketball, but most of us would not trade a national championship in basketball for one football victory over Florida or Alabama.
Nope

Coach Dooley will be fine given time. He was a very excellent recruiter at L.S.U. with Saban...he closed on some big time kids for us that honestly we had no shot with under the SoCal Thugs that bailed on us (Hunter, Stone, Rogers, and Neal for example).....he has some smart X and O coordinator coaches around him in Chaney and Wilcox....some very hard working position coaches with proven track records in Baggett, Hiestand, Russell, Thompson, and "The Sackman" Chuck Smith (on a one-on-one level for sure)....so take it easy ya'll.....they'll figure it out.

yeah im deff not on the dooley bandwagon...i hope he does good but...i just dont see it. say whatever you want about kiffin but he had this entire fanbase pounding their chest and willing to drive to recruits houses if need be. (litteraly haha) college football is all about having fun and being flashy. all this talk about "being a guy with character" doesint mean didly to a 17 year old kid. its if he thinks they are going to win.

so if dooley come in and beats people we thought we would get beat by then i will say he has a chance...but if not i give him 2 years. (i know its not fair with the roster he has but thats life.)

Gene Chizik brought in a great recruiting class at Auburn, and he's one of the dullest people I've ever seen.

I don't know bout you guy's but i have a better feeling this year than i did last year.. I'm just sayin.. GO VOLS!!!!

Nope, I think in a couple of years we will be real happy because we are good at both. It is nice to be good in basketball, but most of us would trade a national championship in basketball for one football victory over Florida or Alabama.

No

VN Store

Back