UT won't clear Negedu to play basketball

VolsFan4Ever-11

UT won't clear Negedu to play basketball
By News Sentinel staff
Posted April 13, 2010 at 5:24 p.m.
.EmailDiscussShare »
PrintAAA.
The University of Tennessee announced Tuesday that, after careful consideration and consultation with both medical experts and current published recommendations, Emmanuel Negedu will not be cleared by the department’s medical staff to resume team-related athletic activities with the men's basketball team.

“Emmanuel is an exceptional young man, and we hope he will stay at UT as a student with our full support,” athletic director Mike Hamilton said in a statement released by UT. “If he decides he would like to pursue a playing career at another school, we will support him in that decision, and we wish him the best.”

UT added it does not anticipate his status changing.

Negedu said Monday night he had been cleared to play again despite having a pacemaker as a result of a cardiac incident in September.

© 2010, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Well this really sucks. Wish the best for him and hope he stays at UT to finish his degree up.

Last edited:
Smart move by the university. It's a no-brainer.

I am sure he will be granted a full release to play anywhere he chooses next year if he does choose to do so.

Yah too bad b/c it was his dream to support his family through basketball one day. At least UTK is still gonna give him an option with a paid in full degree to do the same. He'll get the same result but not the way he wanted to do it. Both happy and sad for the guy.

Probably the right call.

It's also smart to consider that this could've been used against us if Emmanuel got hurt. "See, they don't even care about you at UT. The kid nearly died and they still played him!" Recruiting is vicious. So, it was, all-around, the smart thing to do.

I would like to see him finish out his schooling at UT but I understand if he wants to continue playing basketball. Other than the pleasure of playing though, he most likely won't end up in the NBA because of his pacemaker. If he does choose to continue playing basketball, I will definitely say a prayer for his safety.

Best of luck to you Emmanuel! Vol fans love you!

Yeah, it is a bad deal for Emanuel. I hate it for him, but UT made the right call. If something bad where to happen to him on the court such as death it would be a bad PR hit. I wish Emanuel the best it whatever he decides. He will always be a vol. Best wishes.:eek:k:

he may play somewhere else but to all of us he will be a vol forever

i loved watching him in the rocky top league

Just a thought but you might get to watch him in the RTL this year. Its not a univ spons event so why not? Its on him. (Not that I'm encouraging him too, or that I think he should) jus sayin
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Unless I misunderstand the complicated guidelines published by the Bethesda Conference (regarding participation of competitive athletes with cardiovascular conditions), the American College of Cardiology recommends AGAINST the participation of patients with ICDs in moderate- to high-intensity sports (basketball would fall in this category). The logic is that the success rate of an ICD in such periods of exertion is variable/uncertain and that the device could be damaged during play.

Again, unless I am mistaken, this move by the University is warranted and should be completely understandable.

You haveta feel sorry for this kid but he is smart enough to get his scholly and not risk his life no matter how much he loves the sport...Dangerous situation and he is a great kid to say the least...I wish him nothing but the best!

Apparently an Indiana visit is in the works and the big forward is expected to be evaluated in the near future by IU team doctor Larry Rink. Rink is one of the best in the business and apparently is very familiar with Negedu's case. After Rink checks him out, a decision will be made if Indiana will pursue him.

IndyStar.com | Hoosiers Insider | The Indianapolis Star

Unless I misunderstand the complicated guidelines published by the Bethesda Conference (regarding participation of competitive athletes with cardiovascular conditions), the American College of Cardiology recommends AGAINST the participation of patients with ICDs in moderate- to high-intensity sports (basketball would fall in this category). The logic is that the success rate of an ICD in such periods of exertion is variable/uncertain and that the device could be damaged during play.

Again, unless I am mistaken, this move by the University is warranted and should be completely understandable.

After a long and satisfying career as a life guard and Speedo model :drool: I entered the world of strength and power training of athletes. Had two trainees with cardiac shocking implants.

Since every athlete was required to have a physician's release for training, I interviewed several cardiologists regarding the probability of complications. Every one had a different viewpoint but what was common was the issue of repetitive movements and damage from impacts to the chest. :stop:There goes the 10 rep, wide grip bench press.

After altering the training regimes, we were successful in reaching (modified) training goals and maintaining a perfect record of zero deaths in the gym. :good!:

One cardio doc banned golf. :blink:

So our E-Man has several problems with his implant and the first would be is his limited strength/power training capability i.e. his preparation for play is contraindicated.

Best of luck to him.

Somebody really needs to talk to him he has already survived exercise enduced cardiac arrest once and alot of athletes dont get a second chance. Good Luck with whatever he does but its just not worth the risk!

VN Store

Back