KY loses 8 players--will the Vols take over the East?

BasketvolsFan

Ky has officially announced that 5 of their freshmen will be leaving school for the NBA draft. All are projected to be taken in the first round. Three seniors will also leave the team. If Cal can't win the NC with 5 first round picks, can we expect to take over the east next year? No one can lose that much talent and not have a drop off. No matter who KY signs this spring, they will not be as talented as this year.

Ky has officially announced that 5 of their freshmen will be leaving school for the NBA draft. All are projected to be taken in the first round. Three seniors will also leave the team. If Cal can't win the NC with 5 first round picks, can we expect to take over the east next year? No one can lose that much talent and not have a drop off. No matter who KY signs this spring, they will not be as talented as this year.

agree.

cal is a master recruiter so we should expect knight and a host of other top unsigned prospects. but, he is not a great coach so we should be favored at the top of the sec next year...

I'm having Deja vu. Its almost as if I have seen this posted multiple times already, but I am surely mistaken.

But for the sake of the thread, I will say this. Your not going to be "taking over" anything. Your losing ALL of your leaders and a lot of experience. While you are bringing back more than UK, your not exactly in a much different position.

You will be leaning heavily on a freshman class (Harris, McRae, Golden), and will probably stumble early as will the cats. Quite frankly, I think its a 3 or 4 teams race for the SEC next year, between the 4 teams from the east.

Will the Vols be a favorite? Possibly yeah. But its not a "take over" by any means.

But for the sake of the thread, I will say this. Your not going to be "taking over" anything. Your losing ALL of your leaders and a lot of experience. While you are bringing back more than UK, your not exactly in a much different position.

You will be leaning heavily on a freshman class (Harris, McRae, Golden), and will probably stumble early as will the cats. Quite frankly, I think its a 3 or 4 teams race for the SEC next year, between the 4 teams from the east.

Will the Vols be a favorite? Possibly yeah. But its not a "take over" by any means.

you guys arent losing ALL of your leaders?? kinda sad when YOUR leaders were all freshmen.

you have NOTHING to lean on except a couple of possible freshmen next year.

cant wait til that elite eight is vacated..

Last edited:

Well, we do have some quality players returning. Unfortunately, the Cats have few, if any.

I don't think we will "take over" like ky did last season, but i do feel we will end up 1st if not 1st then 2nd in the east.

Kinda depends if UK gets Selby and Knight....ha now that I think Josh Selby may hold the SEC East in his hand.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

you guys arent losing ALL of your leaders?? kinda sad when YOUR leaders were all freshmen.

Yes but its also kinda sad that those "FRESHMAN" beat us by 29 in the SEC tourny.

UK will never pull in a recruiting class that turns out as well as the past years. But the difference was - even with all that talent - Patrick Patterson. You weren't able to slow down Cousins, Wall, and Patterson. Without his experience and leadership they don't win the SEC or get a #1 seed.

They won't have anything close to a PP next season regardless of how much freshman talent they bring in. That was their best shot in awhile unless they start getting guys who will stay 3-4 years.

Yes but its also kinda sad that those "FRESHMAN" beat us by 29 in the SEC tourny.

they also lost to us and if we didnt let the foot off the gas it would have been by much more. you really think cal is that much better of a COACH than pearl??

I think it's likely that Daniel Orton, at least, returns to KY. He's a potential lottery pick next year if he does. Kentucky won't be as good next year, but I doubt the drop off will be as severe as some people predict. Cal recruiting for KY is a potent combo.

I tend to forget that there are only a select few around here with sense to talk about something without slinging useless mud. If you want to get in a pissing match go find someone else. Keep drinking your kool-aid. I'm out.

Ok well based on that logic then we're both falling behind and it's UF's division/conference to take this year

I tend to forget that there are only a select few around here with sense to talk about something without slinging useless mud. If you want to get in a pissing match go find someone else. Keep drinking your kool-aid. I'm out.

so you are disputing your coach's past? who is really drinking the kool aid?

I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt beat the living Hell out of Tennessee twice and finished ahead of them in the SEC standings. Not sure what makes people think UT is suddenly vastly superior to them.

I'm pretty sure Vanderbilt beat the living Hell out of Tennessee twice and finished ahead of them in the SEC standings. Not sure what makes people think UT is suddenly vastly superior to them.

i dont think we are VASTLY superior to vandy but we do have a better shot compared to them, FL, and KY to win the SEC IMO

they are also losing beal next season, right??

I agree generally with what you're saying. It's not going to be a "take-over" by any means. However, I don't think it's legitimate to say we're going to be "leaning heavily" on all three freshman. Harris is the only one that will be leaned on. In contrast, UK will be "leaning heavily" on whoever you bring in because you guys simply don't have anything left. But I still don't think UT is suddenly just going to dominate the conference.

While I agree with that Hat, I feel Vandy will struggle alot without Jermaine Beal. I know your going to say we are losing alot as well, but I feel like we are replacing and filling our losses much better than Vandy. Also I do believe that Kentucky will replace what they lost. They will not be as good (that was probably the best recruiting class ever), however I think they could contend for another SEC title.

VN Store

Back