Horrible Raleigh Quote

TNVols58

This guy just doesn't get it...he actually thinks he's doing a good job here...I've never heard such a bad coach talk like he's the greatest thing to happen to baseball

"But what do you do? I think as a coach if you put yourself in position to win, that's all you can do. I feel like we did all six times - and we did play two of the better teams in the country, so it wasn't like we were playing Sisters of the Blind."

Get this loser out of Knoxville....fast

I ran into Todd out shopping with his wife at West Town Mall on sat. Name me one successful coach in any sport who has time to go shopping at the mall while his sport is in season?

Unbelievable! The Jerry Green of baseball.

I ran into Todd out shopping with his wife at West Town Mall on sat. Name me one successful coach in any sport who has time to go shopping at the mall while his sport is in season?

Unbelievable! The Jerry Green of baseball.

This past Saturday? What time....they had 2 games. It must have been early.

Saw this in the GoVolsXtra comments on the sweep

He knows that "We're right on the edge and so close," because with the worst batting average in the SEC, the 11th worst ERA, and the most batters hit by our pitchers, our Vols are on the verge of totally sucking in every aspect of the game.

It's time we move on from the Todd Raleigh Error. Obviously, this guy doesn't get that although he might be a pretty good recruiter, he's a terrible coach.

Couldn't have been him. The game started at 3 so I'm sure he was at the field

Are you willing to place a wager? His wife was with him and she looks to be about 7 months pregnant.

It was in the Polo section and I had a conversation with the salesman about how incredible it is that he could have time to be at the mall when its obvious his job is in jeopardy.

According to UTSPORTS the doubleheader didn't start until after 3 p.m.

Are you willing to place a wager?

His wife was with him and she looks to be about 7 months pregnant.

It was in the Polo section and I had a conversation with the salesman about how incredible it is that he could have time to be at the mall when its obvious his job is in jeopardy.

According to UTSPORTS the doubleheader didn't start until after 3 p.m.

Yep, I'll take the wager.

Last edited:
My wife drug me around West Town from 1:00 to about 3:30. I ran into him at Belk Men's @ 1:30.

I don't want to call you a liar, man, but you're mistaken. Todd Raleigh was in uniform and on the field for BP at 1:30 on Saturday. I was there. He was there when I got there at 1. He did an interview in uniform with Fox Sports that ran during the game before BP.

It was someone else at the mall.

Last edited:
Whether it was him or not, he was "coaching" the team that lost. Maybe they should try leaving him at the mall and playing without him next weekend......couldn't do any worse....

I may have my days confused but I know I saw him at West Town this weekend. We were at American Clothing on Fri. and we did walk into the mall briefly so I may be mistaken and it was on Fri.

But I know Todd and it was Todd.

The point is that his job is on the line and he has time to go shopping?

I just can't believe he went shopping and didn't pick ME up anything... some people, ya know?

It's not uncommon for coaches to do normal things like going to the mall. I saw Bruce at Dillard's West Town the day of a game this season picking up a new set of suits that had been altered. I've seen coaches of other sports eating at the food court or just walking around. Most teams go to a mall on road trips to get out of the arena-food-hotel rut.

While I agree that if it was an hour and a half before a game it would be ridiclious, but that's not exactly the way it happened. Friday at 1:30 I could see. That's why I said you were mistaken.

What exactly could he have been doing at that moment that would have made any difference? There was no breakthrough that he was going to make that would have been the winning edge. It's not football or basketball where you've got gametape to pour over to find tendencies. And if a coach was waiting until gameday to figure out the gameplan, then I'd be really worried.

Look, there's enough out there on Raleigh to seal his fate at the end of the year. Piling on a guy for spending some time with his wife in the middle of the day on a Friday is really unnecessary, in my opinion.

Again, if it had been just before first pitch, that's one thing, but it wasn't.

It's not uncommon for coaches to do normal things like going to the mall. I saw Bruce at Dillard's West Town the day of a game this season picking up a new set of suits that had been altered. I've seen coaches of other sports eating at the food court or just walking around. Most teams go to a mall on road trips to get out of the arena-food-hotel rut.

While I agree that if it was an hour and a half before a game it would be ridiclious, but that's not exactly the way it happened. Friday at 1:30 I could see. That's why I said you were mistaken.

What exactly could he have been doing at that moment that would have made any difference? There was no breakthrough that he was going to make that would have been the winning edge. It's not football or basketball where you've got gametape to pour over to find tendencies. And if a coach was waiting until gameday to figure out the gameplan, then I'd be really worried.

Look, there's enough out there on Raleigh to seal his fate at the end of the year. Piling on a guy for spending some time with his wife in the middle of the day on a Friday is really unnecessary, in my opinion.

Again, if it had been just before first pitch, that's one thing, but it wasn't.

Great post

I get your point but I disagree. There are many things that could be done during down time.

There is plenty of things to do, esp. watching film. He should be scouting SEC pitchers and tendencies every waking hour the way he likes to play ball. Rod didn't have to study pitchers that much because of his style of play that relied on bunting so much.

I think Todd has the right idea and I was excited that he was a departure from Rod but he just doesn't seem to work that hard. Would you expect to see Paul Mainieri cruising the mall the day before a double header?

I get your point but I disagree. There are many things that could be done during down time.

There is plenty of things to do, esp. watching film. He should be scouting SEC pitchers and tendencies every waking hour the way he likes to play ball. Rod didn't have to study pitchers that much because of his style of play that relied on bunting so much.

I think Todd has the right idea and I was excited that he was a departure from Rod but he just doesn't seem to work that hard. Would you expect to see Paul Mainieri cruising the mall the day before a double header?

And seven months ago he was apparently taking some time off too. Slacker.

A coach has to have some downtime. I doubt he spent more than an hour or two at max there. He was probably taking a break from work to spend time with the other half and get something to eat before heading back to the field. It's more common than you realize.
As for film, at the college level, it's not that prevalent in baseball. You rely more on advance scouting reports and a cumulative 'black book' on players.
A lot of teams send a GA to the next weekend's opponent's games the weekend before they play to gather the trends and reports. These reports along with others passed along from team to team take the place of sitting and watching hours of film.

Film is great for working with hitters on why they have a hole in their swing, or pitchers on why their curve just doesn't curve, but not so much for game planning and scouting.

Last edited:
There is plenty of film for SEC opponents and those are the ones that matter most.

He has more free time than normal during the off season to spend with his family.

I think our difference in opinion is you're describing what should be expected of an average coach and I'm talking about what should be expected of an elite coach.

Last edited:
I may have my days confused but I know I saw him at West Town this weekend. We were at American Clothing on Fri. and we did walk into the mall briefly so I may be mistaken and it was on Fri.

But I know Todd and it was Todd.

Your right, I can't believe this!! I was at Bed Bath n Beyond in Turkey Creek and got a text from a friend who was at Ruby Tuesdays in Oak Ridge and told me that they have a friend who was at Game Stop at the Mall and saw Todd at 1:45. I was him and he should be fired! Forget whats going on one the Field...Any UT coach caught at the mall or any other plubic place should be fired!!!!!!!!

.Any UT coach caught at the mall or any other plubic place should be fired!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I agree, he should also be arrested if he was found in one of those places.

Doubt anything he is quoted as saying from now on could top, "this is the best baseball team I have had..."
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I have to agree with Deer, there's plenty of things to criticize Raliegh over, but being at a mall on a Friday at 1:30 isn't one of them.

I have to agree with Deer, there's plenty of things to criticize Raliegh over, but being at a mall on a Friday at 1:30 isn't one of them.

If you've built and are running a solid winning program I agree...but when you took a sorry program and made it worse and your job is in doubt then, yes, you should be criticized for wasting time at the mall the day before a double header with the best of the SEC.

VN Store

Back