College Baseball

surrealvol

My son played baseball at Clemson. U.T. showed a good bit of interest in him but he wound up at Clemson because they knew him really well from their summer camps.

My problem with college baseball is that too many kids leave early to go to the professional level. I know that happens in all the sports, but baseball is the worst.

About the time your team really jells and you expect a really big year, all the upcoming seniors (And some juniors or sophomores) head off to the minors and you have to start the big rebuild.

Seems like losing players to the bigs has a more negative effect on the baseball team than the other sports.

Just a personal complaint I guess. :angry:

Also, that ping noise that those bats make is really annoying.

that's why colleges need to give schollies to bb players like they do fb and hoops players. My kid is getting some interest from various colleges. It appears that each team has 25-30+ players and only 11.7 schollies to pass out. Veryfew kids get more than a 50% ride, many get books and no more.:(.

But, look at the schools like Cal St. Fullerton, Miami, Texas, LSU, Clemson, Arizona State, Stanford, etc.

These schools have top teams year after year, even after losing top players to the draft. Their pipeline is just that strong. Why? Because they can recruit the top high school prospects year in and year out.

It's all about recruiting!!

High school kids know, without a doubt, that if they go to one of those schools, more likely than not, by the time they leave college they will have gone to Omaha at least once.

Recruiting is the key. If you have the depth that those teams have, who cares if a kid leaves school early. There's someone just as good waiting to step in and take his place.

But then again, it depends on what you're looking for. Take UT for example. If you're wanting UT to go to Omaha every year, then obviously they're going to have to step up their recruiting. And with the facilities they have, a strong conference like the SEC and a strong athletic program, they should be getting more top recruits. They could easily find themselves in the same category as the schools I mentioned above. But until they start getting serious about baseball, then yes, they are just going to have to keep re-building year after year and settling for what they get.

My cousin played for 'bama 1 yr before shattering his elbow pitching. Ended his career. He was from west Tennessee. UT didn't even look at him in HS.

Originally posted by JohnsonCityVol@Feb 13, 2005 11:04 AM
My cousin played for 'bama 1 yr before shattering his elbow pitching. Ended his career. He was from west Tennessee. UT didn't even look at him in HS.

Ouch -- Enrolled at Bama for a year then left with no place to go. Sorry for him

(And some juniors or sophomores)

I'm pretty certain that College baseball has the same rule as football does about having to be 3 years out of High School before you can go pro.

A lot of the juniors and sophomores will transfer to other schools, usually smaller schools where they know they will get more playing time.

Orange_Man, Major league Rule IV governs which players are eligible for selection in the draft.

The basic categories of players eligible to be drafted are:

High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;

College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old. College players that have dropped out of school can apply for the draft by writing the commissioner's office no later than March 20;

Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed, and

Anyone who is 21 within 45 days of the draft date.

So, if a sophomore has reached his 21st birthday by the time the draft roles around, he is, in essence, eligible.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Feb 13, 2005 7:16 PM
Does your cousin know LOGAN YOUNG??? :haha_oh:

Y'know, since all that went down I've never talked to him or my uncle about it? I'm going to make it a point to ask about that next time I see them.

VN Store

Back