Todd Raleigh

kkep48

PirateVol
KnoxNews is reporting that Western Carolina Head Coach Todd Raleigh will be introduced as the new baseball coach tomorrow morning at an 11am press conference.

I know nothing about him, all I know is what the article says about him. He's a Vermont native, spent 8 seasons at WCU and taken them to the NCAA Tournament twice, 2003 and 2007.

I don't know, I thought they interviewed some guys at bigger schools who've done a better job for longer periods of time.

Article also said Tony Delmonico would transfer to Florida St.

is this the best guy we could get?

I don't think so but, I questioned the hiring of Bruce Pearl and that has proven a genuis move so, I'll give Hamilton and Raleigh the benefit of the doubt before second-guessing. I do think we interviewed more qualified candidates though.

Mike will take some heat on this one, only coaching experience at WCU, small school, did a nice job. Has no clue what the SEC is like for recruiting, very questionable hire.

Bruce at least had a proven track record of success at several schools.

I don't think so but, I questioned the hiring of Bruce Pearl and that has proven a genuis move so, I'll give Hamilton and Raleigh the benefit of the doubt before second-guessing. I do think we interviewed more qualified candidates though.

Ernie Grunfield should receive credit for Pearl. Hamilton just had the final say.

Mike blows it on this one. Reportedly could not stir much interest from any big names, heck for that matter even a mid-major name.

Mike blows it on this one. Reportedly could not stir much interest from any big names, heck for that matter even a mid-major name.

I beg to disagree. He had an interview with Bobby Pierce on Monday. Pierce would have been a damn good choice. I absolutely agree with Vol67, we should have kept Delmonico. Hell, we should have found a suitable replacement before firing Delmonico. This reminds me of the bammer football coaching history.

I am absolutely sick over this. We had a good opportunity to upgrade our program. My hat's off to Todd, he apparently is a good interview (was also on the UF short list) and this is a good move on his part, I cannot blame him one bit and will support him, but I am scratching my ass over this hire by Hamilton. I hope something comes out in this morning's press conference that makes me feel better.

His bio/resume looks weak. Who thinks he can win at UT if he struggled to win consistently at Western Carolina?

Why hire the 3rd best coach in this conference when you could have hired the 1st or 2nd? Very confusing move by Hamilton. Hamilton loses equity after the Pearl hire.

Strange hire. As one other person, Pearl had a history of winning everywhere he coached. Raleigh was barely .500

He was 182-162 at WC.
IMO that would have gotten him fired at UT.

This hire makes no sense.

from elsewhere, take it for what it's worth.

Originally Posted by insidetn.com
I just spoke to someone close to the situation... asked him WTF?

Evidently, Hamilton was g oing to offer the job to Serrano, then decided not because of he didn't want another George O'Leary situation.

Michigan guy interviewed really well...seemed like he wanted it, then wouldn't return phone calls. He basically played Michigan into a new 5 year deal.

The other two choices Gilmore (Coastal) and Pawlowski (CofC) had bad recommendations concerning their character - evidently, I am not the only one that had a bad experience with Pawlowski. I am not sure what the 411 is on Gilmore...

This guys also mentioned that if O'Sullivan had still been available, UT would have gone after him...Florida got him before we did.

In my opinion, this is a botched up situation. To me, it seems like we went with choice number 6, 7, or 8.

I will support the guy but my expectation is that TN is going to be worse off than before they fired Delmonico. I think Hamilton's heart was in the right place by trying to take the program in a different direction, but it almost seems like we hired this guy in too much of a hurry in order to save face. We didn't want to appear desperate, and this is what we got.

Firing Delmonico set the program back 3-4 years, hiring Raliegh another 2. I want to be fair and give the guy the benefit of the doubt, that is hard when you cannot consistently perfrom in the SoCon.

Do not even interview Scoenrock? Pierce another good candidate! I am very dissapointed in this hire, we should have kept Delmonico!

If I was AD,i would gave a phone call to the coach @ Oregon St.,because if he take a team from a non-warm weather school to back-to-back CWS,that outta tell you something there.

This hire is so ridiculous, when Pat Summit heard the news she passed out!

Bad humor, I know, I do wish Pat well and hope she is better soon.

Just cannot get over this one.

I agree with letting Delmonico go, the program was becoming stagnant and just not showing consistency. I am very skeptical about this hire but, we'll see what he can do.

VN Store

Back