End of Season

Vols reporter

When will CTV deliver the bad news to the players not returning.

Will they have time to play somewhere else?

When will CTV deliver the bad news to the players not returning.

Will they have time to play somewhere else?

It is usually the first or second day after the season for the ones not coming back. Usually the scenario when teams over sign, is to have a large group in the fall and then make cuts. That really sucks because finding a team and transferring is even harder then.

It is usually the first or second day after the season for the ones not coming back. Usually the scenario when teams over sign, is to have a large group in the fall and then make cuts. That really sucks because finding a team and transferring is even harder then.

Players that get cut a Christmas are almost walk ons.

If you start as a scholarship guy in the fall you count all year is my understanding

Kinda true but not always. Especially when the numbers aren’t adding up. Plenty of ways to yank those scholarships. “Remember that class you missed last fall?” “What about that mandatory study hall?” Oh yea, that booze you were caught with in Stokely last semester?”

See ya!

Unless there is some unexpected mass loss to the draft it is going be a big issue next year. Teams are starting to recruit against TN currently by bringing that up.

Kinda true but not always. Especially when the numbers aren’t adding up. Plenty of ways to yank those scholarships. “Remember that class you missed last fall?” “What about that mandatory study hall?” Oh yea, that booze you were caught with in Stokely last semester?”

See ya!

I don't think we are on the same page. Teams are limited to 30(might be 28) guys on scholarship. I am saying if a player starts the year on scholarship they count toward that 30. Meaning you can't put 40 on $ and plan to cut 10 at Christmas

I don't think we are on the same page. Teams are limited to 30(might be 28) guys on scholarship. I am saying if a player starts the year on scholarship they count toward that 30. Meaning you can't put 40 on $ and plan to cut 10 at Christmas

Actually 27 on scholarship. Yes, I do see what you mean and that makes it even more tricky. The problem is that they have 27 on scholarship right now and are only losing 2 that were scholarship players (Jackson wasn’t from what I believe). You can only have 8 on the roster that are “walk-ons”. Either they take a chance and free up a ton of scholarships now by asking/telling a big chunk of the team not to return in the fall OR they discourage some that have already signed not to show up in the 2nd session of summer school. The bad thing is that many of those players may not even pan out just like many from this past class didn’t. On top of that they were counting on some of those HS players to go in the draft...what if they don’t? AND, they are still recruiting jucos for THIS class. It is going to be interesting.

Reactions: 1 person
Actually 27 on scholarship. Yes, I do see what you mean and that makes it even more tricky. The problem is that they have 27 on scholarship right now and are only losing 2 that were scholarship players (Jackson wasn’t from what I believe). You can only have 8 on the roster that are “walk-ons”. Either they take a chance and free up a ton of scholarships now by asking/telling a big chunk of the team not to return in the fall OR they discourage some that have already signed not to show up in the 2nd session of summer school. The bad thing is that many of those players may not even pan out just like many from this past class didn’t. On top of that they were counting on some of those HS players to go in the draft...what if they don’t? AND, they are still recruiting jucos for THIS class. It is going to be interesting.

Don't hold me to this but I am 99% sure a player can't just wait until Christmas and come to school and play

Don't hold me to this but I am 99% sure a player can't just wait until Christmas and come to school and play

I didn’t write that too clearly. When I said don’t show up 2nd session of summer school, I meant don’t show up at all. I bet he has a few of the Serrano recruits that he would like to pass on. I would be nervous if I was them too. Like most coaches, he will be more supportive of his own recruits.

I didn’t write that too clearly. When I said don’t show up 2nd session of summer school, I meant don’t show up at all. I bet he has a few of the Serrano recruits that he would like to pass on. I would be nervous if I was them too. Like most coaches, he will be more supportive of his own recruits.

Ok. Yes no doubt

If he has waited this late to let signed recruits know they can't come he's a POS

Ok. Yes no doubt

If he has waited this late to let signed recruits know they can't come he's a POS

He wouldn’t do that. There probably isn’t an easy way to do it but he will be fair and do with it class and most likely have some options for them. That’s how they always handled it at Arkansas.

He wouldn’t do that. There probably isn’t an easy way to do it but he will be fair and do with it class and most likely have some options for them. That’s how they always handled it at Arkansas.

Yep. Always redshirts and the option of keeping more, just not on the roster for spring

So what happened Tennessee lost the head to head with Missouri so they don't go to Hoover?

11.7 schollies amoung a max 27 players. Thank title IX for that.

I am really curious, and I have not been able to find it.

What was the UT Athletic Department Budget in 1972?

I bet it was not over $100 Million Dollars and I bet the revenue was less than a third of what we bring in now.

No Athlete at the University of Tennessee should be on a partial.

Title IX is a minimum standard from damn near 50 years ago.

Reactions: 2 people
Let me put it another way...

If Phil Fulmer walked into the spring meetings and said, "We are going to fully fund cost of attendance and every athlete on our campus is going to be treated, financially, the same way."

Recruiting would take care of itself.

It is time.

VN Store

Back