1171 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on End of Season Page 2. within the forum Tennessee Vols Baseball. ...

Go Back   VolNation > >

Old 05-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #16
Roustabout

End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougvolfan View Post
11.7 schollies amoung a max 27 players. Thank title IX for that.
Women.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #17
vol66
GBO!

End of Season End of Season
End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season
Quote:
11.7 schollies amoung a max 27 players. Thank title IX for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roustabout View Post
Women.
I am really curious, and I have not been able to find it.

What was the UT Athletic Department Budget in 1972?

I bet it was not over $100 Million Dollars and I bet the revenue was less than a third of what we bring in now.

No Athlete at the University of Tennessee should be on a partial.

Title IX is a minimum standard from damn near 50 years ago.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #18
vol66
GBO!

End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season
Let me put it another way...

If Phil Fulmer walked into the spring meetings and said, "We are going to fully fund cost of attendance and every athlete on our campus is going to be treated, financially, the same way."

Recruiting would take care of itself.

It is time.
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #19
dougvolfan

End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season
11.7 is a ncaa limit mandate.
VN Likes: 2
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-23-2018, 10:05 PM   #20
sport3500

End of Season End of Season End of Season
End of Season End of Season End of Season End of Season
Anybody think that the number of baseball scholarships might increase soon by the NCAA?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #21
Vols reporter

Heard Darling is out.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #22
Vols reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport3500 View Post
Anybody think that the number of baseball scholarships might increase soon by the NCAA?
No
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #23
BaseVol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols reporter View Post
Heard Darling is out.
Is that the only one you have heard of so far??
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-24-2018, 11:36 AM   #24
31VFL

End of Season End of Season End of Season
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols reporter View Post
Heard Darling is out.
Would make sense.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #25
BaseVol Fan

Did he even make the trip to Mizzou ?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-24-2018, 11:45 AM   #26
BaseVol Fan

CTV has to be done with his exit interviews, by now?? How many players we have coming in the Fall?
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #27
Vols reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseVol Fan View Post
CTV has to be done with his exit interviews, by now?? How many players we have coming in the Fall?
There will be a total of 45 to 50
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #28
BaseVol Fan

Wow!! Ok Thanks
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-24-2018, 10:41 PM   #29
vol66
GBO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sport3500 View Post
Kendall Rogers and Aaron Fitt say unlikely in the near future.

They are in the know, but...I believe in my heart of hearts that slowly, big time changes to college baseball and softball will come in my lifetime. Spend a couple of days in Hoover, I came home before it got good even...that's how it is done.

Omaha won't be that good.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 05-25-2018, 12:19 AM   #30
vol66
GBO!

Quote:
11.7 is a ncaa limit mandate.
Until one school, somewhere, bucks that system.

It's what the schools have to do to be compliant with federal law. What seems like a "no brainer" if you have a daughter, I suspect, by today's standards, was fought at every turn...

TELEVISION

Quote:
NCAA v. Board of Regents (1984)

The board of regents of two schools, the University of Georgia and the University of Oklahoma, challenged the NCAA’s television plan. Prior to this case, the NCAA controlled and negotiated the television rights for all NCAA schools. The NCAA’s plan limited the number of national television appearances and spread television rights money more equally amongst the member schools. The plan lead major football schools to form the College Football Association which negotiated a separate television contract that prompted the lawsuit.

The Supreme Court ruled that NCAA control of television rights violated the Sherman Antitrust Act. Justice John Paul Stevens wrote the majority opinion which found that the NCAA’s television plan restricted supply, raised prices, and could not be used to protect live attendance at football games. The Supreme Court opinion also mentioned the NCAA can pass rules related to its mission to promote amateur, collegiate athletics.
*emphasis mine.

Title IX was set up to make sure girls had the same opportunities to play college sports...Simple. 1972.

Mind you the ramifications of television were still over a decade away. Even then, only two schools had the balls to stand up to ALL THE OTHER INSTITUTIONS (after all, the member institutions are the NCAA) and say, hold on a damn second, "Why does the NCAA have the right to dictate to our University when, where, what time, etc...That we play football on television?

Battle at Bristol? Thanks UGA and Oklahoma!

What was not simple at the time was how to generate the revenue to pay for the Title IX, or the "mandate" as you rightly call it. Some deemed it the end of College Football and at the expense of Men's sports as we know it...

um, that hasn't worked out to be the case has it?

The Title IX debate continued for another decade and a half.

Quote:
March 22, 1988
The Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987 is enacted into law over the veto of President Ronald Reagan. This act reverses Grove City, restoring Title IX’s institution-wide coverage. If any program or activity in an educational institution receives federal funds, all of the institution’s programs and activities must comply with Title IX.3

There are a few schools, hand full of schools that are generating revenue in college baseball...

It is true.

When you go to Hoover, go to the Finley Center. It's completely free...It's amazing to think...All of it...the video games, the pool tables, foosball tables, air hockey tables, zip line, wall climbing, inflatable, live entertainment...I didn't really explore it all...

That's what the SEC thinks about baseball, in combination with the city of Hoover and sponsors...

It's an eye opening experience

So, I'll ask this question here, hopefully I've laid a little ground work...

"Why does the NCAA have the right to dictate to our University how we decide to dole out our scholarship money?"

Because, even the institutions of higher learning, with considerable influence, who fought it every step of the way...turned out to be wrong at the end of the fight, and...still are.

They are still wrong, but Title IX, forces them to do what they ought to have done on their own any way.

It's a federally enforced minimum standard that, eventually, the member institutions of the NCAA had no choice but to go along with.

I know what the schools who can't offer it will say, but what about the schools that can and SHOULD?

It may be settled law now, until it's not.

Just, lol, for entertainment purposes ONLY...Title IX, 1988...

1984 The Victory Tour, The Jackson 5, with Michael and Janet play Neyland Stadium for three nights.

Victory Tour (The Jacksons tour - Wikipedia)

$4,452,210 in revenue...Only Giant's Stadium did better financially, only Dodger Stadium, in the States (Toronto), did better in attendance, financials unreported...

The UTAD made over $100 Million last year.

I went to one of those Neyland shows,

Last edited by vol66; 05-25-2018 at 01:29 AM..
VN Likes: 1
Reply With Quote TOP