Should NICO MASCIA be in line up?????

Vols reporter

Team when like 2-35 with runners on vs SC.
Niko was on base 7 times last week with 4 doubles and a Hr.

What is the problem giving a hot bat a try?

Team when like 2-35 with runners on vs SC.
Niko was on base 7 times last week with 4 doubles and a Hr.

What is the problem giving a hot bat a try?

He was the DH early on and Western Carolina pitching is a far cry from SEC pitching. He did DH against SC in the 3rd game late. Not saying absolutely No however sometimes you have to dance with the person you took to the dance...whether you like it or not.

Safe to say several of guys benefit substantially from the mid-week play. I hear the batting averages announced on Friday and just scratch my head.

I,,personally would give Nico a shot,,, can't hurt...Plus he is an older kid,,,I believe a R/S sophomore..He seems a lot calmer under pressure,,Now, I only have a small sampling of his play at this point,,but I think we need at least evaluate players a little more in game situations and If your going to leave Benito at catcher,,then DH him a little more,,,Tomorrow night would be good,, we can't loose to Belmont!! You Know they DID beat VANDY in a midweek game this year,,,SO,,, Just get back on track with a win tomorrow and try to keep on improving every game even if its so minimal,,,,Just keep playing hard,,,,Go Vols!!!!

Reactions: 1 person
This year is about the future. Must figure out who to keep and who to cull. We have some young hitters who have some potential TV just needs to know how much. Can't give their ABs away. And Santiago gives us the best chance to win as well so can't take him out

Guess the question is who is behind him (now and the future). Are we hanging our hat next year on a freshman, maybe a JUCO, or a current guy. Pitching staff is coming along and the program will need 1 constant. If a current roster guy is the future than now is the time get him in, otherwise Benito is the best option.

Guess the question is who is behind him (now and the future). Are we hanging our hat next year on a freshman, maybe a JUCO, or a current guy. Pitching staff is coming along and the program will need 1 constant. If a current roster guy is the future than now is the time get him in, otherwise Benito is the best option.

The better question is does he fit in to the future in any shape form or fasion.

28 incoming players answer that for me

BruinVol,,,Your correct in,,, they have to figure out who to cut and who to keep,,,maybe they are showing us already who some of those are?? I don't know the answer.. this next fall is going to be an all out war for spots...but the draft i think will take 2 or 3 for sure...if those kids don't go,,then CTV done a great job in convincing them to stay...But all I was meaning was for this year..Playing Nico a few more times can't hurt with what i have ween so far. Next year those freshmen coming in are going to be just that freshmen,,,we have to keep some upper class-men around...

How many of current roster will be on the team next year?

How can they have 28 people in next years class.

How does staff let the current plays know they will be cut. Does that happen at end of season or after fall next year?

Those freshmen coming in have to know that there is 36 on the roster right now,,,, with only 2 seniors. That’s a lot of kids leaving or being asked to leave. Or a lot of redshirt freshmen. I don’t know how he will do it. We can’t go into next year with 28 freshmen and only 7 players held over from this year. Won’t work. You think we where young this year???? LOL. We will be younger. Than a lot of Jr colleges next year if we do that.

Reactions: 1 person
to me, it's as much about giving Bennie a break behind the plate...Bennie behind the plate for a three game series is too much...ever caught behind the plate for three days straight?...jus' sayin'...

GBO!

to me, it's as much about giving Bennie a break behind the plate...Bennie behind the plate for a three game series is too much...ever caught behind the plate for three days straight?...jus' sayin'...

GBO!

Along with not catching 3 games in a row, maybe Benny needs a new catchers mitt. One like the catchers used while catching Phil Niekro. Big...really big...that doesn’t have the trampoline built into the pocket, like the one he has now. That way all the pitches won’t bounce out and they have a chance to be strikes. Strikes are good by the way. Then, while he has his day off, someone can teach him how to block up...and teach him how to not backhand the ball when he does try to block up. Then, they can teach him how to transfer the ball to his throwing hand without it flying backwards towards the backstop. They might even have time to show him how to frame a pitch without jumping around behind the plate for no reason. May even have time to work on not striking out ...Jus’ sayin’...

Reactions: 2 people

GBO!

Hmmm

How many games does a big league catcher catch in a year?

GBO!

Pete D or Nico catching the mid week games is a smart idea just for the reason Benito may get injured. But weekend's, it's 3 games in weather under 80. No excuses for a veteran catcher- play the weekend and be a wall or step aside.

VN Store

Back