Blazing conference start

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
The team is 4-2 in the SEC, which is the team's best mark since starting 4-2 in 2008.

Impressive pitching on Sunday from Stallings and Neely.

Hope they can keep it going.

Reactions: 5 people
The team is 4-2 in the SEC, which is the team's best mark since starting 4-2 in 2008.

Impressive pitching on Sunday from Stallings and Neely.

Hope they can keep it going.

That was fun to watch..coach T is gonna be a good one.

Reactions: 1 person
Just keep winning---please. BTW Freak, when are you going to post the 2018 football schedule? Seeing last year's result is terribly depressing and we really need a look ahead.
Thanks.

You’ve made your feelings on him clear.

And what's that?

Just to be clear. Here are my real feelings.

1) I think he is doing a great job recruiting and he is using a ruthless taking no prisoners style.
There will be lots of casualties but that is the only way to win here.

2) he needs to grow up on some things as he has burned bridges in places he shouldn't have. Walters state deal was plan dumb.

3) he will develop players or ship them out. This is the only way to win here.

So by and large I like what he is doing but it can't he considered a success at this point. Long ways to go

I had set the over/under at 8 SEC wins on the year and just 2 series into the season, this group is halfway there. Sure hope they keep proving me wrong.

Bruin makes some very valid points above. I will add this to his list: Vitello made a great hire in his pitching coach. He is making a huge difference.

Last edited:
Vitello made a great hire in his pitching coach. He is making a huge difference.

Agreed.

I wanted to ask this Friday and forget. Pretty sure the pitching coach wasn't at the game Friday. Can someone confirm that?

If so that tells us all we need to know about how TV views this season. I am not disagreeing with it just asking and bringing up the point

Last edited:
Winning series at USCjr next weekend would be SWEET. Cocks in SEC cellar & that team is better than that. Don't let 'em recover, Vols! :rock:

Agreed.

I wanted to ask this Friday and forget. Pretty sure the pitching coach wasn't at the game Friday. Can someone confirm that?

If so that tells us all we need to know about how TV views this season. I am not disagreeing with it just asking and bringing up the point

Frank missed the Friday game due to gall stones per radio interview after the game. CTV said he missed his presence at the game.

Is it too early to say that we have a real SEC baseball coach?

At this point of the season, yes it’s too early. Sweeping Bama is great and I’m very happy about it, but they have a first year coach as well and will likely finish near the bottom of the conference. The “blazing” conference start has a lot to do with playing Bama early. Switch them with UF on the schedule and the conference start could be 1-5. It’s early and this conference is brutal. Lots of baseball left to be played.

Having said that though, it’s my opinion that we do have a real SEC baseball coach. He knows what it takes to win in the SEC and what types of players are needed to do it. It won’t happen overnight, but I foresee Vitello recruiting really well and turning over the roster quickly.

Yes, Gilbert i also agree with your last post..its way too early to judge any baseball coach, I think Coach V will do a great job, give him at least a couple more years and then lets judge. and I also think the turnover of players will be dramatic after this season,,,don't know how many,,but with looking at Arkansas's past classes,,thats what they do there..hopefully won't be that bad but with 22 or 23 kids coming in,,somethings gotta give..Experience is still vital IMO also..freshmen are just that....freshmen. And listening to Mike Rooney on the sec network yesterday,, he said a lot of these schools go the juco route to gain some experience,, but i don't see CTV doing that much...He has the Univ of Miami kid already here..and i think maybe one more coming in.. and all the freshmen and sophomores here this year that come back next year will make it an older group...just all depends.. but i am not going to get too far ahead of myself,,lets stay the course this year and get to Hoover..If we can accomplish that,it will have been a successful year IMO...Go Vols!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back