MTSU, Arkansas Pine Bluff - Weekday Pick'em

OldTimer

919 miles
Staff member
We are picking the 2 weekday games as a 2-game Series, each team is handicapped separately. See below for more details. Simply reply Sweep, 1-1 or Swept.

PICK MUST BE IN BY 1ST PITCH TUESDAY, 3:30 START

Middle Tennessee (4-3), projected to finish 8th in Conference USA

TOP PROSEPCTS 2018 DRAFT
15. LA Woodward SS
16. Jake Wyrick LHP
17. Andy Rivera RHP

TOP PROSPECTS 2019 DRAFT
7. Miles Christian OF

IMPACT FRESHMEN
2. Miles Christian OF

Middle Tennessee is the prime candidate to be this years C-USA team that rises up and surprises some people, but the pitching staff will need to improve. Here is a lot of potential with this group, but its also a group with some rough numbers in the past. For instance, Friday night starter Jake Myrick has good stuff with a fastball up to 93, but command needs to improve and he finished last season with an ERA north of six. There's also closer Tyler Holcombe, who has decent stuff with movement and deception. But again, he had an ERA over six in 30 innings last season. Middle is excited about a pair of newcomers are freshman lefty Peyton Wigginton and juco transfer Andy Rivera. Wigginton is a funky lefty who sits in the upper-80s with his fastball, while Rivera is a big arm who sat low-90s and up to 95 with his fastball last summer. We'll see if the potential pans out out this spring but I like how the Blue Raiders stack up from an offensive standpoint. Aaron Aucker is a bruiser and big-time producer in the DH role, while Austin Dennis and Ryan Kemp are back after productive campaigns. Dennis is undersized, but has some good tools and finished last season with a .296 average, six homers and 48 RBIs. He also showcases some speed. Meanwhile, Kemp has some power and can run once on base. Blake Benefield, who led the Alaska League in homers last summer, is another interesting bat to watch especially considering he finished all of last season with just three homers. Remember the names of newcomers SS LA Woodward and OF Myles Christian. Woodward is a juco transfer who clocked in at 6.36 in his 60 on Scout Day in the fall, while Christian, who was drafted last summer, has some power and is a good runner who provides some versatility to the lineup.

Link to MTSU Schedule/Results: Middle Tennessee State University Athletics

Arkansas Pine-Bluff (2-1, 5 games have been rained out), projected 3rd in the West Division of the SWAC

TOP PROSEPCTS 2018 DRAFT
7. Nick Kreutzer 1B

TOP PROSPECTS 2019 DRAFT
4. Ryan Mallison 2B

IMPACT FRESHMEN
Jarficur Parker IF

Arkansas Pine-Bluff took a small step backward last season after winning the West Division in 2016, but fall practices revealed a lot of depth and versatility in the lineup. The Golden Lions strengths certainly lie at the plate and in the field, but their pitching staff will likely have to outperform expectations for UAPB to make a run at a regional appearance. A trio of newcomers, R-Jr. Ricardo Sanchez, Jr. 1B Nick Kreutzer and Jr. 2B Ryan Mallison will be three key additions to a lineup that only hit .247 a year ago and had no players with more than four home runs. On the mound, Sr. RHP Nathan Sawrie (2-5, 6.12) and Sr. RHP Tyrus Lopez (3-5, 6.47) are in line to start Friday and Saturday, but it will be interesting to see how the rest of the pitching staff comes together. Head coach Carlos James used 11 different starting pitchers in 2017, so it is safe to say he will plug guys into different spots until he finds the mix that will give the Lions their best chance at competing throughout the season.

Link to Arkansa Pine-Bluff Schedule/Results: Arkansas Pine Bluff Athletics

MTSU +1.5
Arkansas Pine Bluff +2.5

FYI, UAPB plays Georgia Tech on Tuesday.....

SIMPLY REPLY SWEEP, 1-1 OR SWEPT

3 Points for a correct prediction

Rules are simple and may change without notice:

1. Simply pick how the Vols will fair during the mid-week games
2. Reply with Sweep, 1-1 or Swept
3. At the end of the season (tournaments included) a winner will be selected by their correct predictions and awarded a special prize on behalf of OldTimer and not to exceed $10,000 in value
4. All predictions must be submitted by the 1st pitch of the 1st Game, any edits after the start of the game will result in a disqualification for that Series or Game
5. You do not have to play every week, total points won will win
6. Point system may be changed at my discretion at any time
7. Weather will be an issue, I'll post any instructions regarding weather prior to each game, check back often if inclement weather is in play
8. More rules may be added at my discretion
9. No wagering
10. Disputes will be handled by a 3 person panel: Me, Myself and I

Again, if there is an EDIT after the game starts on your post, your prediction doesn't count....

No "Double-Up" until SEC play begins or until posted on special occasion.........

Point System this week only:
Correct prediction will give you 3 points

2018 Pick'em is for the enjoyment of the Volnation forums, NO GAMBLING ALLOWED!

Pick with your gut and not your heart!!! - OT

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
updated Pick'em points tomorrow morning, maybe tonight if I can pull myself away from the closing ceremonies.......:)

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back