Pick'em - UNC Greensboro 2/23 - 2/25

OldTimer

919 miles
Staff member
WEATHER ALERT - CHECK BACK ON FRIDAY IN THE EVENT WE NEED TO PICK A 2 SERIES OUTCOME - RIGHT NOW WE ARE PICKING A 3 GAME SERIES ONLY

Out of the Southern Conference the UNCG Spartans are toting a 3-1 record thus far coming off of a 2017 Regional appearance.......

UNC Greensboro has a veteran club with plenty of talent from a positional standpoint. That should lead to a consistent offensive squad with power and short game potential. Coach Link Jarrett feels this is the best starting pitching the Spartans have had in his tenure and the bullpen has experience. The outfield has a chance to be really productive with Andrew Moritz (.392/.450/.513) leading the way in center field. He takes great routes defensively and has good instincts. He hits for good average and has speed and power potential. Dillon Stewart is the best power hitter in the lineup. He was injured last year but is now healthy and should play left. Cesar Trejo (.289/.360/.521) hit a dozen home runs last year and should play right. Devin Ruiz (.344/.452/.508) brings raw power to the designated hitter role. The infield should be productive offensively thanks to shortstop Tripp Shelton (.314/.387/.480), third baseman Caleb Webster (.383/.414/.517) and second baseman Austin Embler (.319/.371/.512). Shelton is a plus defender with a strong arm and good range. Webster has a strong arm and plus range at third. Embler has a good arm with quick transitions. Freshman Josh Madole is a solid defender who should hit for average and play first base. Jake Kusz, injured last year, should catch. He is a big, strong catcher who handles the staff well.

The pitching staff has loads of experience returning. Southpaw Bryce Hensley (7-8, 4.71) will pitch from 88-92 MPH on his fastball and mix in a curve, slider and a change. Matt Frisbee (8-4, 4.10) locates his 88-91 fastball well and a hard, power slider than he can throw at any time. Dan Loats (8-3, 5.25) is a righty with an 87-90 MPH fastball, a power curve and a firm cutter. Southpaw Jake Lewis (2-2, 5.34) is another starting option. Andrew Wantz (6-4, 4.08) is the closer. He has a low-90s fastball with a power slider and a change that acts like a splitter. Jack Maynard (3-3, 4.24) is another bullpen option who features a swing-and-miss change-up.

Projected Order of Finish in the SoCon - 2nd, behind Mercer

TOP PROSPECTS, 2018 DRAFT
2 Andrew Moritz OF UNCG
4 Cesar Trejo OF/SS UNCG
9 Andrew Wantz RHP UNCG
14 Matt Frisbee RHP UNCG
15 Jack Maynard RHP UNCG

IMPACT FRESHMEN
8 Josh Madole 1B UNCG

link to their schedule thus far: Baseball - Schedule/Results - UNCG Athletics

SIMPLY REPLY SWEEP, 2-1, 1-2 OR SWEPT

Rules are simple and may change without notice:

1. Simply pick how the Vols will fair each weekend Series or mid-week games
2. Reply with Sweep, 2-1, 1-2 or Swept for weekend series or WIN or LOSE for mid-week games
3. At the end of the season (tournaments included) a winner will be selected by their correct predictions and awarded a special prize on behalf of OldTimer and not to exceed $10,000 in value
4. All predictions must be submitted by the 1st pitch of the 1st Game, any edits after the start of the game will result in a disqualification for that Series or Game
5. You do not have to play every week, total points won will win
6. Point system may be changed at my discretion at any time
7. Weather will be an issue, I'll post any instructions regarding weather prior to each game, check back often if inclement weather is in play
8. More rules may be added at my discretion
9. No wagering
10. Disputes will be handled by a 3 person panel: Me, Myself and I
11. if you pick the Vols to win the Weekend series 2-1, and the Vols get HOT and take the series with a 3-game Sweep, you get 1 point. If you predicted the sweep you still get 5. Hey, we all love the sweep! Picking the Vols to go 1-2 and they get Swept gets you nothing

Again, if there is an EDIT after the game starts on your post, your prediction doesn't count....

No "Double-Up" until SEC play begins or until posted on special occasion.........

Point System
Weekend Series
3 Points awarded if you correctly pick 2-1, 1-2 or 1-1 for a rained shortened series. No points awarded for a 1 game weekend series
1 Point awarded if you pick 2-1 and the Vols Sweep
5 Points awarded if you correctly pick a Sweep or Swept, doesn't matter if we only get in 2 games due to weather

Midweek Games
2 points for correctly picking the winner
games will be handicapped

2018 Pick'em is for the enjoyment of the Volnation forums, NO GAMBLING ALLOWED!

Pick with your gut and not your heart!!! - OT

this team is pretty good........

2-1

Updated Pick'em points will be posted sometime tomorrow. GO VOLS!

Not impressed with UNCG pitching last weekend. Not sure we are good enough to sweep a solid mid major but I don't trust their arms

Vols Sweep

VN Store

Back