Maryland Preview

OldTimer

919 miles
Staff member
before Pick'em begins, here is the preview on Maryland.

Projected Conference Finish - 2nd

Projected Regional Teams (2): Indiana, Maryland

Player of the Year: Marty Costes, OF, Maryland

Freshman of the Year: Randy Bednar, OF/LHP, Maryland

TOP PROSPECTS, 2018 DRAFT
4 Nick Dunn 2B Maryland
7 Marty Costes OF Maryland
21 AJ Lee SS Maryland

TOP PROSPECTS, 2019 DRAFT
1 Tyler Blohm LHP Maryland
19 Elliot Zoellner RHP Maryland

IMPACT FRESHMEN
1 Randy Bednar OF/LHP Maryland

Maryland made three regionals in the last four years under John Szefc, highlighted by back-to-back super regionals in 2014-15. Szefc left for Virginia Tech after last season, and his former assistant Rob Vaughn took over the reins of a mature, veteran Maryland club that looks built to make yet another postseason run.

The Terrapins have a deep roster and some exciting star power, led by junior outfielder Marty Costes, our preseason pick for Big Ten player of the year. Costes (.322/.429/.548, 13 HR) is built like a tank at 5-foot-9, 200 pounds, and he has easy righthanded juice to all fields. Jr. 2B Nick Dunn (.261/.345/.384) also has All-America potential and top-three-to-five-rounds ability if he can bounce back from a modest sophomore year. His hand-eye coordination is special, and Maryland worked hard with him on controlling the strike zone better this fall. Junior AJ Lee (.307/.389/.474 with 15 steals) will shift from third base to shortstop, where his athleticism and foot speed translate to good range, and his plus arm plays very well. He’s another Terp with a nice power/speed combination; he could easily deliver double-digit homers and 20 steals, because he has an advanced feel for basestealing.

Another returning veteran infielder, Sr. 1B Kevin Biondic, brings invaluable leadership and sterling defense, but he also looks ready to break out in a big way offensively after hitting for average and power during a monster fall. Biondic even took to the mound for the first time since high school and showed a 90-92 fastball, good cutter and even a legitimate knuckle ball, making him a wild card on Maryland’s staff.

The Terps also look loaded in the outfield. Senior Zach Jancarski (.325/.434/.453, 20 SB) provides outstanding defense in center field and makes the Terrapins go from the leadoff spot. Heralded freshman Randy Bednar and senior Will Watson join Costes, Lee and Biondic to give this lineup serious righthanded power potential. Bednar should also see time in the bullpen, where he can run his fastball up to 91. He’ll help form the supporting bullpen cast around closer John Murphy (2-0, 1.71, 31.2 IP), a big-bodied bulldog who pumps strikes with a 90-91 fastball that plays up due to a high spin rate, along with a solid breaking ball that he commands well. The Terps have more dependable veterans in the rotation, though non of them have premium velocity. So. LHP Tyler Blohm (8-6, 3.48 in 16 starts) has legitimate Friday night stuff, however, with an 88-91 fastball from the left side, advanced feel for his changeup and a hard downer breaking ball that has gotten a lot better since the spring, when it was more of a show pitch. The biggest step in his development is proving he can battle his way through adversity better than he did as a freshman. He’ll form a nice one-two punch atop the rotation with Sr. RHP Taylor Bloom, whose conditioning work in the offseason helped his velocity play up a tick in the fall, when he sat 86-88 at times with his typical sink and run. His calling card has always been his changeup, but his feel for the pitch was inconsistent last year; now it’s back to being exceptional. And he’s worked to turn his slider/cutter into a better offering, something that can be used as an out pitch at times.

Reactions: 8 people
Yes , Thanks OldTimer. Now that's a post!! Maryland will be a strong test for opening week, I'm sure CTV wishes he had a couple more weeks of practice time to get these boys rolling down the same track at once. Can't wait for first pitch!!! Go Vols !!!!!

Thanks OT! Now I feel like it's baseball season.

I see on SEC website that none of this weekend's games are going to be on ESPN+ this weekend.

No surprise I guess. I was just hopeful.

I guess the excuse will be basketball or softball or something.

This year, including this weekend, I'd be tempted to pitch backwards and have Neely as 1st game starter and Linginfelter start the 3rd one.

Ya,,,not a bad idea,,and i see your point,,,but I think coaches usually go with their number 1 on the first game of the year... kick it off with a W, Not saying Neely couldn't do it also...but I myself would go with Linginfelter in game 1..Hopefully the rain holds off on friday,,,,right now it shows 90% chance of showers friday....We need the rain to hold off this weekend.....Go Vols!!!!!!!

Agree with pitching backwards with Neely on Friday. But, can't see anyone but Lingo going Saturday.

I"d pitch backward even this weekend because, Tennessee will not match up favorably with any SEC or SEC level team. Best chance for at least one win is to have Linginfelter going against the other team's #3.

Reactions: 1 person
I would start Stallings on Friday, Neely on Saturday and Lingenfelter on Sunday and I am curious, Did Serrano put together the schedule or did Vitello do it and is this the first time UT has played Maryland in baseball?

I would start Stallings on Friday, Neely on Saturday and Lingenfelter on Sunday and I am curious, Did Serrano put together the schedule or did Vitello do it and is this the first time UT has played Maryland in baseball?

Serrano put the schedule together, CTV isn't too excited about traveling to Cincinnati. We played Maryland 2 years ago at the East Carolina Classic. They were ranked in the top 25 and I think we lost by a run........

Reactions: 1 person
Im curious,,,, when do coaches put out the info on the friday night starters? And also with the threat of rain this weekend,, do you guys think it would be out of the ordinary to start like a number 4 or 5 pitcher,, in case the game starts and it pours down rain for and hour and then that starter is done? I know that would be hard for a coach to predict,, probably would lead to a double header sat.... Go Vols!!!!!

Looks like we will get to watch the games. UTSports shows it on SEC Network+ and the games are now in the WatchESPN app.

VN Store

Back