Vitello Interview

31VFL

He said as of right now the middle of the defense would be:
Santiago-C
A Lipiscius- SS
Leftridge- CF

He said the 2018 class will be around 20-23 kids.

He said Stallings and Linginfelter have looked good on the mound. Lingo's secondary stuff is coming along well.

Derkay is not in that low crouch as he swings now.

Camps are going great, lots of good talent.

He said Linginfelter, Stallings, Santiago, Leftridge, Derkay, the Lipiscius brothers and Chinea have been leaders so far this fall, with Chinea having a strong last few days.

He also said he expects to lose a few kids to MLB, which is how it goes. He said position players usually are most productive as upper classmen while pitchers are better as underclassmen with sophomores being the most based on his experiences.

Like this guy. He already knows what it takes in the SEC, there's no guesswork about how to become a winner as it was bringing CDS in from the west coast. It had been two decades since he had been assistant at UT and a lot had changed. Recruiting in the southeast in particular.

Did he say if he expects to actually make the SEC Tourney and make some noise instead of being a fringe tournament team year in year out?

He also said he expects to lose a few kids to MLB, which is how it goes. He said position players usually are most productive as upper classmen while pitchers are better as underclassmen with sophomores being the most based on his experiences.

Like this guy. He already knows what it takes in the SEC, there's no guesswork about how to become a winner as it was bringing CDS in from the west coast. It had been two decades since he had been assistant at UT and a lot had changed. Recruiting in the southeast in particular.

As a first year coach, he's recruited well so far.

The pitching rotation should be strong enough to make the tournament.

Coach V didn’t have much to say about Anderson’s ability to develop a staff. He did mentioned how Anderson likes to watch and provide general feedback about using natural throwing mechanics. But, to be successful in the SEC the pitching staff needs to be able to throw 2-3 pitches. Really hope Anderson drills down to that level with this young staff.

The pitching rotation should be strong enough to make the tournament.

Coach V didn’t have much to say about Anderson’s ability to develop a staff. He did mentioned how Anderson likes to watch and provide general feedback about using natural throwing mechanics. But, to be successful in the SEC the pitching staff needs to be able to throw 2-3 pitches. Really hope Anderson drills down to that level with this young staff.

I think Linginfelter, Stallings, Darling, Schultz, and Crochet can pitch at this level. Neely has been hit or miss. After that, I'm not real sure what we have.

Anderson has a track record of success at every program he's been apart of. Neely should be much improved.

Very disappointing to hear TV is burning bridges in state at the one JC he needs to win. Really dumb remark he made about Hunter wolf back in the summer And he is making it worse if what I heard is true. Completely ignorant decision.

Very disappointing to hear TV is burning bridges in state at the one JC he needs to win. Really dumb remark he made about Hunter wolf back in the summer And he is making it worse if what I heard is true. Completely ignorant decision.

What did he do?

TV is going to be successful. When JuCo ties are beneficial to us, he will strengthen those. But he won’t pander to egos and the-way-things-have-always-been. He and staff Will Coach with character and energy, and players will happily choose to play for him.

Bruin didn’t approve of the hiring, so we’ll get regular reports of such grievances. :boredom:

Reactions: 1 person
What did he do?

This is hear say from a friends son that plays on the team but TV refuses to release wolf. Seems childish especially after basically saying on the radio he was scared of playing in the SEC, Walters is the one Jc we need to control. It should be a big feeder school.

I don’t believe TV is burning bridges at all. It is the other way. Coach Shelton is the one that is burning the bridges by calling committed and uncommitted recruits telling them it will take TV 3-4 years to start winning. If they want to win they need to come to Walters State. I understand wanting to win but to do this while your program is already on probation may not be the right thing to do. As far as releasing Wolfe I don’t blame TV at all for not releasing him. Why should he? He was committed to UT. Now he wants a release at midterm to go somewhere else. That’s not the way it works.

Reactions: 1 person
I don’t believe TV is burning bridges at all. It is the other way. Coach Shelton is the one that is burning the bridges by calling committed and uncommitted recruits telling them it will take TV 3-4 years to start winning. If they want to win they need to come to Walters State. I understand wanting to win but to do this while your program is already on probation may not be the right thing to do. As far as releasing Wolfe I don’t blame TV at all for not releasing him. Why should he? He was committed to UT. Now he wants a release at midterm to go somewhere else. That’s not the way it works.

Well I don't think you have your timeline correct. He made the decision not to go the Tenn in the summer not mid term.

We have seen kids all over the country denied releases and the school always ends up looking bad. This will end up being the same if TV doesn't have a change of heart.

Edit: just checked with my guy whose son plays there. They aren't on probation this year. Free and clear so you are having a hard time with posting truths.

Last edited:
TV was called last week and asked to release him.

What about DS calling committed recruits? I guess that’s ok. We will see how it works out for TV.

TV was called last week and asked to release him.

What about DS calling committed recruits? I guess that’s ok. We will see how it works out for TV.

You understand he isn't trying to play somewhere this year other than WS which he can do regardless?

He needs a release to sign with someone and play in the spring of 19.

There are no rules in JC regarding recruiting calls and think about what you are saying. An SEC team worried about a JC calling their recruits should be laughable. That is if it's true.

Evidently you don’t understand recruiting. It’s not a rule in div 1 either. Coaches work very hard and spend a lot of time to get a signee and your ok with another coach calling them and and trying to get them to come to your school. There is such thing as called character.

I don’t believe TV wants to work hand in hand with a coach that has those ethics. He will get the players he needs.

VN Store

Back