Todd Helton returning to Tennessee baseball staff

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
From Jimmy Hyams.

Tennessee baseball coach Tony Vitello said Todd Helton (former UT star) will return to staff as volunteer director of player development.

Vitello said he wants a stronger and more physical team. He said bats were changed recently: `You've got to be a man to swing those things'

In recruiting, Vitllo said he is `naked at shortstop' and wants more left-handed pitchers. He also likes position players who pitch

Vitello said he might sign as many as 12-15 scholarship players and add walk-ons to his first recruiting class.

Reactions: 13 people
So, with Helton returning as director of player development can he play a more active role on the practice field and in the dug out?

Reactions: 2 people
[Twitter]https://twitter.com/jimmyhyams/status/898650708324610048[/Twitter]

big thanks to Todd for wanting to return and to Coach V for being smart enough to let him...:good!:

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 3 people
When Todd gets his feet on the ground and learns the ropes of college coaching and recruiting, he will take over or move on to another school. I don't think this type of administrative position is his final stop.

When Todd gets his feet on the ground and learns the ropes of college coaching and recruiting, he will take over or move on to another school. I don't think this type of administrative position is his final stop.

Todd is in cruise control. Doesn't have his degree and most schools require this for a HC position. I can't believe they are wasting the money.

...on the field for practice? Can you develop players without being on the field? You can watch them hit in the cage, but seems a very limited role.

And what exactly does "changing the bats" mean? That's an odd comment. He wants the players to swing heavier bats? I've always known players to use bats that they feel comfortable swinging. Good hitting isn't really about being big and strong. A lot of guys are these days, but hitting is about seeing the ball, timing, swing plane--a lot of things not really related to physical strength. There have been a ton of great hitters who were not big and strong.

And position players who pitch? Another somewhat unconventional idea. I mean, yea, it's been done--but not much anymore.

...on the field for practice? Can you develop players without being on the field? You can watch them hit in the cage, but seems a very limited role.

And what exactly does "changing the bats" mean? That's an odd comment. He wants the players to swing heavier bats? I've always known players to use bats that they feel comfortable swinging. Good hitting isn't really about being big and strong. A lot of guys are these days, but hitting is about seeing the ball, timing, swing plane--a lot of things not really related to physical strength. There have been a ton of great hitters who were not big and strong.

And position players who pitch? Another somewhat unconventional idea. I mean, yea, it's been done--but not much anymore.
As far as the bats go the NCAA continuously has been changing the bats on what is allowed. The bats are heavier now and really about the exact same as wood now. Coach V prefers big, strong and athletic players that can play multiple positions. As far as position players who can pitch. Most stud pitchers were also really good hitters. The reason why they don't do it is because most coaches don't allow it. It can be done successfully. If this is pulled off with one or two players a year on a team he will have an incredible advantage in recruiting because the players want to do both.

NCAA rule keeps him outside the lines and out of the hitting nets. So really just a Name.

But he was a great player in college & pros.

Go Vols

Was a great player for sure. So what does he really do for the team?
Can he recruit?
Can he instruct?
Can he do anything?
Or are we repaying him for what he has done in the past?

VN Store

Back