New baseball commit: Brandon Gielow

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
[twitter]https://twitter.com/B_Gielow_iX/status/896783197954072577[/twitter]

Reactions: 1 person
Preferred walk on maybe ??

Most with an 80 mph fastball don't play much for their high school teams. Not sure what is up here but struggling to see this one passing the smell test.

Most with an 80 mph fastball don't play much for their high school teams. Not sure what is up here but struggling to see this one passing the smell test.

[Twitter]https://twitter.com/dougfreemanpbr/status/881530918502100992[/Twitter]

He's going to be a junior. He's tall and maybe just needs to fill out. Kids typically really make a jump in velocity in there junior year. Could be flaws in his mechanics that are causing the lower velocity as well. I would trust CTV and CFA evaluation on a left handed pitcher. With adding some strength and improving mechanics he could be in high 80s before you know it.

Last edited:
I hate being critical - and granted a tiny sample - but no movement, no zip. Sounds like the best thing he has going for him is the high waste. :)

I would venture to say that there are 100 + left handers in the state of Tennessee that throw 82 - 84 or more. I would also venture that Vanderbilt, South Carolina and others haven't signed a left handed pitcher throwing that softly in 20 years maybe.

This seems to me to have all the earmarks of a recruit that the last two staffs would bring in.

At some point you have to recruit SEC caliber arms. I think the west Knoxville kid that committed to Vanderbilt throws low 90's. This kid threw 80 as a freshman and 83 as a sophomore. He is going to really need to pick it up to get up to a batting practice speed of 86 -87. He honestly looks like a left hander that throws 82 -84 which might put him on the bench at several Knoxville high schools. Maybe he has a nasty knuckleball I don't know - but I was shocked when I saw his fastball speeds and watched him on video. No disrespect meant to him or our coaches -- just struck me as very pedestrian.

Disagree. If you can throw 80 and have something else, a decent curve and pretty good control you'll contribute a lot at 90% of high schools.

I hate being critical - and granted a tiny sample - but no movement, no zip. Sounds like the best thing he has going for him is the high waste. :)

I would venture to say that there are 100 + left handers in the state of Tennessee that throw 82 - 84 or more. I would also venture that Vanderbilt, South Carolina and others haven't signed a left handed pitcher throwing that softly in 20 years maybe.

This seems to me to have all the earmarks of a recruit that the last two staffs would bring in.

At some point you have to recruit SEC caliber arms. I think the west Knoxville kid that committed to Vanderbilt throws low 90's. This kid threw 80 as a freshman and 83 as a sophomore. He is going to really need to pick it up to get up to a batting practice speed of 86 -87. He honestly looks like a left hander that throws 82 -84 which might put him on the bench at several Knoxville high schools. Maybe he has a nasty knuckleball I don't know - but I was shocked when I saw his fastball speeds and watched him on video. No disrespect meant to him or our coaches -- just struck me as very pedestrian.

He was topping out at 78-79 last year. He is topping out at 86 now. If he continues to progress he will be a good pick up, if not, you may be right.

On another note, a lanky lefty bringing it in the mid-80's is going to pitch for any school in Knoxville unless he has no control.

Reactions: 2 people
Season stats from Gamechanger

3-2 3.21 ERA
8-G 7-GS
28.1-IP 21-H 19-R 13-ER 27-BB 42-SO

Batting
27-G 79-AB 20-R 23-H 6-2B 1-3B 19-RBI 5-SB .291-BA
8-BB 12-SO 9-E

3-2 3.21 ERA
8-G 7-GS

Batting
8-BB 12-SO 9-E

I'd be willing to bet a lot of those runs came from a walk an ip. That's rough.

Ok -- it's less difficult for me to visualize him growing from 85 mph to upper 80's than it was for me to see him going from 80 to upper 80's. If he throws 85 this summer that's a different story than throwing 80.

3-2 3.21 ERA
8-G 7-GS

Batting
8-BB 12-SO 9-E

Not sure where anyone is getting upper 80's on his fastball, but according to my link it was avg 80 with best of 82.

Those stats posted not that great imo for a high level recruit. If his era is over 3 in high school what would that project to college? Batting avg good for high school at 291, but I would think it should be better than that for a recruit in a power 5 school... am I wrong?

Not sure where anyone is getting upper 80's on his fastball, but according to my link it was avg 80 with best of 82.

Those stats posted not that great imo for a high level recruit. If his era is over 3 in high school what would that project to college? Batting avg good for high school at 291, but I would think it should be better than that for a recruit in a power 5 school... am I wrong?

No - that was the first information posted and it was 80 mph -- I guess maybe that was his freshman year? Then he threw 83 last year his sophomore year - this summer he is at 85 --- still cruising speed, but certainly better than 80 -- that batting average projects to only be considered a pitcher in college imo, He must have had a really good summer because up till then his stats, his video, his speed -- not very impressive.

apparently he threw 85 on 7/17 which placed him at 85% among high school players -- meaning there would be approximately 68,000 give or take that throw harder.

Lefties don't have to throw low to mid 90s to make it to the MLB like right handed pitchers do. The vast majority of high school pitchers in the nation regardless of throwing arm are probably in the high 80s at the most. Before you mouth off a bunch of garbage, maybe you need to do some more research. I will trust the number two pitching coach in the country as of late a lot more than you!!!

http://www.pitching.com/topic/average-velocity-in-high-school/

http://www.espn.com/mlb/preview07/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2809709

https://www.theatlas.com/charts/S1-DccGC

Last edited:

3-2 3.21 ERA
8-G 7-GS

Batting
8-BB 12-SO 9-E

We need to get used to this staff taking as many kids as are willing to commit that show any kind of Potenial. Those stats are just plain awful so obviously it's a gamble he develops. If he doesn't no harm no foul as its obvious we are going to for quantity battle with the hope a few good men come out of a very crowded group.

there were a few players playing in Perfect Game Classic (2018 prospects) that I sure wish Coach V was in on...:)

PS. sidebar...Ryan Weathers couldn't pitch...rule in Tennessee is when school starts players can't play in these extracurricular games...don't like that rule...also, wish he would consider not going to Vandy and going with us instead...:)

GO VOLS!

there were a few players playing in Perfect Game Classic (2018 prospects) that I sure wish Coach V was in on...:)

PS. sidebar...Ryan Weathers couldn't pitch...rule in Tennessee is when school starts players can't play in these extracurricular games...don't like that rule...also, wish he would consider not going to Vandy and going with us instead...:)

GO VOLS!

He's isn't going to either

This kid reminds me of Tom Glavine who did not have a blazing fastball but could hit his spots.

VN Store

Back