New poster wanting opinions on this years team

CTVfanclub101

Hi all I'm new to program, son incoming freshman, and looking about opinions on this years team. Son was recruited by last staff and sorry to see them go but like what we see out of Coach Vitello and staff.

Reactions: 6 people
Very much optimistic about the pitching but hard to win without a SS. Hope your son can play there.

Hi all I'm new to program, son incoming freshman, and looking about opinions on this years team. Son was recruited by last staff and sorry to see them go but like what we see out of Coach Vitello and staff.

We all loved Coach Serrano,and I'm still baffled by how it didn't work out. Honestly, I don't have a clue yet.

It's never a good idea to assume how a coach will perform before he fields a team or two.

This team has the build up to be very good. I have went back and looked at some of the returning players stats and looks to be very promising. Went and looked at several of the incoming freshman's stats on Gamechanger. Some I couldn't find but something that looked intriguing is Evan Russell comes in as a Utility guy and played SS for His high school and his fielding percentage was 93 percent IN 2016 , 94 percent in 2017 with 5 errors on the year at SS. His recruiting profile says he has a High level hitting tool that will push for him to be in the lineup. Done a little research : Dulin's played him there as well. Say he's a Leader with tons of baseball instincts. A Gamer as well, Look for him to get a look at SS.
Some very good talent in the 2017 class. Benoit can sling it , Danials may be the overall best athlete , Hunley and Wallace can sling it too. , Trammel looks like two way guy, Copeland has really good PG numbers , Plummer looks like a good prospect , couldn't find as much info on him. Rickets and Gilliam look to be top of the order guys (SPEED) , Watkins - PG has him listed as a RHP and SS. , very solid player. Nick Woods looks like a two way player as well. I look for this Team to Compete in SEC play this year....... The Downside is this team is very Young. Should see lots of young bodies in the lineup..

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
first off...welcome to VN...second, if you're son is really good, wouldn't doubt Coach V would give him another look...jus' sayin'...either way...good luck and

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry I was misunderstood. My son will be part of this years team and the next 4 years hopefully. We are excited about being part of the GBO family. Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Welcome to the board!

We have some known commodities at pitching, with Lingo, Stallings, Warren and Neely. We'll have to replace Hunter Martin and closer Lipinski.

Where we really need to find some folks is hitting. In SEC only games, only 4 guys were at or above .250. JRog at .277, Derkay at .253, Andre at .252 and Luc at .250

It drops off steep after that.

As as a team in SEC games, we only hit 26 doubles on the season! That won't get you where you want to be that's for sure.

As you stated we'll be young, but lots of SEC teams have young guys contributing in big ways. I reckon it's a clean slate and hopefully the best players will play regardless of the seniority.

Again, welcome to the board. A word of caution, VN can sometimes be brutal for parents/family members. The baseball forum, well we try to keep it pretty clean, and most here don't bash the players, but every now and again during a game thread, some things might get said in the heat of the moment. For instance, I never read game threads in the Football Forum, it gets pretty low rent at times, so after a while I simply said, "this isn't for me."

Anyways, as Freak says, "post often" and good luck to your son as he opens the next chapter.

GBO!!!

Reactions: 6 people

What 66 said.

Welcome to the board.

"We have some known commodities at pitching, with Lingo, Stallings, Warren and Neely. We'll have to replace Hunter Martin and closer Lipinski."

Hey 66, Warren is not returning. Signed his minor league contract.

"We have some known commodities at pitching, with Lingo, Stallings, Warren and Neely. We'll have to replace Hunter Martin and closer Lipinski."

Hey 66, Warren is not returning. Signed his minor league contract.

That's right, forgot, thx...sorry I'm in football mode, :p

There enough talent on the team that they should have won at least 5 more games last year.

They should improve this upcoming season.

Sorry I was misunderstood. My son will be part of this years team and the next 4 years hopefully. We are excited about being part of the GBO family. Thanks for the warm welcomes.

oh, cool...well, that's a horse of a different color...:)

PS. congrats to you and your family...knockahoma...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

Lingo and Stallings did well yesterday.
@ vols baseball fan. Yes Beniot can sling it. Yesterday could not fine the ZONE. Hope that was just first day nerves!

We need a SS.

Honestly, I don't have any idea what to expect. None whatsoever.

On the other hand I'm looking forward to the season and seeing if we have at long last found a coach that can dig us out of the cellar.

Glad to have you with us and best of luck to your son. :)

Any news coming out of fall practice yet?

Honestly, I don't have any idea what to expect. None whatsoever.

On the other hand I'm looking forward to the season and seeing if we have at long last found a coach that can dig us out of the cellar.

Glad to have you with us and best of luck to your son. :)

Pitching will be improved from last year, more team depth and two legitimate SEC starters

Hitting will be greatly improved from last year, you will see more power in 2018, not just in HR's but in the gaps too.

Defense might be the achilles heel this year...

Overall a much improved team due to experience, attitude, and COACHING/DEVELOPMENT!!

Wouldn't be surprised to see more SEC wins this year then we've seen in a long time.

I'll be offering 5 Bonus points for this years Pick'em soon. I'll be coming up with an over/under in SEC wins to be predicted before the season starts. Still analyzing the line at the moment....OT

Pitching will be improved from last year, more team depth and two legitimate SEC starters

Hitting will be greatly improved from last year, you will see more power in 2018, not just in HR's but in the gaps too.

Defense might be the achilles heel this year...

Overall a much improved team due to experience, attitude, and COACHING/DEVELOPMENT!!

Wouldn't be surprised to see more SEC wins this year then we've seen in a long time.

I'll be offering 5 Bonus points for this years Pick'em soon. I'll be coming up with an over/under in SEC wins to be predicted before the season starts. Still analyzing the line at the moment....OT

Are you doing anything for the Orange & White World Series?

VN Store

Back