Radio interview

OldTimer

919 miles
Staff member
CTV said we don't have a shot stop at the moment. The JC recruit decided to stay another year at his current school. May have been politically correct and told the guy he's not what he's looking for, just reading between the lines on this one....

He said we may need to get out the fungo and see who wants to play short with the players we have. Still working on the scheduling, roster and strength coach. Has the hire but it can't be announced right now. Pretty confident it will happen and supposedly its someone good.

Other stuff was just boiler plate, currently in Atlanta watching games and is talking to a lot of kids. Has had a lot of kids on campus too. Loves Knoxville and the job, will only be in town for 4 days until August 20th or so when they have a team meeting.

Sounds like he's full of energy and hitting the trail hard......

Short Stop for 2018 has me a little concerned, but I'm optimistic.

I'm spending the offseason revamping Pick'em, should be a lot of fun next spring. OT

Reactions: 3 people
Zero shot he told the Jc SS he wasn't wanted. Big fail not getting him. Red flag

eh. It was made to sound like he didn't think he could play at this level. Which has been true for most SS Serrano recruited. Simcox was a given and Senzel wasn't brought here to play it.

*Wolfe had a .887 fielding percentage in JUCO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
eh. It was made to sound like he didn't think he could play at this level. Which has been true for most SS Serrano recruited. Simcox was a given and Senzel wasn't brought here to play it.

thats the way I took it, I'm paraphrasing but it sounded like coach said "once he saw SEC play the recruit decided to spend another year at his current school". In full disclosure I was doing two things while listening........

Reactions: 2 people
thats the way I took it, I'm paraphrasing but it sounded like coach said "once he saw SEC play the recruit decided to spend another year at his current school". In full disclosure I was doing two things while listening........

It is. He also said right after that he doesn't want to just plug anyone just because they are a SS, which considering we are still at square 1 in a rebuild, seems to be the right call.

well, he'll come up with something as hard as it seems he's working...in Coach V...I now trust...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 1 person

*Wolfe had a .887 fielding percentage in JUCO.

Think about this. You really think we told an 11th rounder he wasn't good enough and now are saying we don't have a SS at all?

Doesn't add up guys

Hunter Wolfe, SS, 12th round, junior college. Wolfe was the highest-drafted middle infielder for the Pirates. He put up good offensive numbers this year, although it’s always hard to translate that from the JuCo ranks. He also has a good defensive rep. He has college eligibility remaining, so it might take more than $150,000 to sign him.

my guess the truth is somewhere in the middle, Wolfe may be hedging his bets hoping he'll get drafted higher next year and not have to spend the 3rd year in school.

Think about this. You really think we told an 11th rounder he wasn't good enough and now are saying we don't have a SS at all?

Doesn't add up guys
If he stays in JUCO one more year he is draft eligible again. If he goes to tennessesse he has to play 2 years. Kids make decisions for all different reasons. If he goes to the SEC and struggles his stock goes way down as well.

Doesn't add up guys

I think a kid that fielded at .887 clip is going to have a hard time playing an SEC SS spot. That is pitiful. I dont think that is something that can be argued.

If he stays in JUCO one more year he is draft eligible again. If he goes to tennessesse he has to play 2 years. Kids make decisions for all different reasons. If he goes to the SEC and struggles his stock goes way down as well.

False. He is draft eligible next year at either place. Facts are a kid just chose to play at walters state over Tennessee. Red flag

I think a kid that fielded at .887 clip is going to have a hard time playing an SEC SS spot. That is pitiful. I dont think that is something that can be argued.

So no SS is better than one the Pirates drafted in the 12th round?

Lol

archived radio interview, http://www.sportsradiownml.com/sportstalk-podcasts/

discussing the short stop situation begins around minute mark 4:25

My court reporting skills are slightly diminished however here is a snippet of what CTV said regarding the situation.

"....(regarding Wolfe) little intimidated by the fact that SEC play was around the corner so he returned to his junior college.....don't want to settle and hustle backwards where we fill a gap this present year and don't have the standards met in the future....."

Lol

I tend to agree with the above statement, we may be wishing Bartlett had another year of eligibility left.

Maybe the reason Wolfe returned back to JC will surface down the road.....

I tend to agree with the above statement, we may be wishing Bartlett had another year of eligibility left.

Maybe the reason Wolfe returned back to JC will surface down the road.....

Bartlett also had a similar fielding % in JC. People need to realize that playing surfaces lead to poor fielding % in Jc

Last edited:
So was CTV saying Wolfe got intimidated by the SEC, leading him to return to Juco? Maybe I interpreted that wrong.

Lol

No probably not, but coming on here declaring red flag over a JUCO SS that was said to not be coming here a month ago is BS. Who knows what happened. He seems to be recruiting just fine. We played 5 years without a SEC bullpen and rotation. If he needs a year to get his guy in here at SS, so be it.

No probably not, but coming on here declaring red flag over a JUCO SS that was said to not be coming here a month ago is BS. Who knows what happened. He seems to be recruiting just fine. We played 5 years without a SEC bullpen and rotation. If he needs a year to get his guy in here at SS, so be it.

The biggest issue here is he is saying some pretty damning things about a kid at the one juco he needs badly in the state. Not a smart move at all.

There will be a SS surface from the existing roster - No worries in Vol nation. Coach V is doing a great job.

Just noticed Jay Charleston played infield in High School.......scanning the 2017 recruiting class we have a few corner infielders coming in.

Just noticed Jay Charleston played infield in High School.......scanning the 2017 recruiting class we have a few corner infielders coming in.

The Benoit kid from FLA plays 1st base and from his PG page also played SS...seen him last summer in Georgia playing 1st and pitched relief. Kid slings it 94+ and can really hit. Be interesting how they use him.

VN Store

Back