Great article on the scholarship dilemma

Maybe, but that story is from 2 years ago. I'd like to know if anything has changed since that came out.

Not saying either way - just that things change.

Pretty sure nothing has changed. It was this way last year for sure.

It's tough to be a college baseball coach, for everyone! And how is a new coach at Tennessee supposed to figure all this out and arrive at a formula that will make UT baseball successful again? Welcome to DS's world.

Maybe, but that story is from 2 years ago. I'd like to know if anything has changed since that came out.

Not saying either way - just that things change.

The only thing that has changed is that in some states, including Tennessee, the requirements for keeping the lottery scholarship have gone up. Otherwise, everything in that article is exactly the same as it was two years ago.

Good article-nothing new but a good read.

The 11.7 is a tough change. Why not offer in-state tuition to all scholarship players? The marketplace program only covers a few states and academic (ACT-SAT/GPA) allowances are hit or miss. Get tuition down and scholarship offers can be managed a bit easier.

Reactions: 2 people
something that needed changing years ago...schollys should've been fully funded from the get-go...such a travesty for the coaches and players...shame, shame, on the hypocritical institutions...better wake up...:eek:hmy:...:twocents:

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tell any high school baseball player who wants to play in college: you will get much more scholarship money for academics than you will ever get for baseball. Young men need to worry as much about the GPA and the ACT as they do about the ERA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I tell any high school baseball player who wants to play in college: you will get much more scholarship money for academics than you will ever get for baseball. Young men need to worry as much about the GPA as they do about the ERA.

Preach it.

something that needed changing years ago...schollys should've been fully funded from the get-go...such a travesty for the coaches and players...shame, shame, on the hypocritical institutions...better wake up...:eek:hmy:...:twocents:

Well, every Power Five school fully funds the 11.7 scholarships. So that part really doesn't apply to the schools we follow.

Nobody pushed too hard for it, because baseball has had it's farm system. That has been around so long that playing in college never became a popular path to the majors. The best sign contracts while in or right out of HS. Colleges usually chose what is left. If the best talent were coming into the league from colleges, you would see more funds for baseball scholarships.

I personally think that MLB would be better off long term if they let more of the home grown talent develop through college. But when you also can get talent from Japan, South and Central America, Cuba, Haiti and the Dominican Republic, and God knows where else, I doubt scholarship money is going to roll in for baseball players. The balance between supply and demand works against it.

Yeah, football will get more scholarship dollars, because of how things have been structured over the years. Basketball too. But for baseball, it's going to take a few more years of diligent campaigning to effect the changes for which you speak.

But it isn't a travesty nor is it some hypocritical conspiracy. It is merely caused by how professional baseball built itself independently of the colleges and universities. However, if you are hoping it changes, I am on board with that. But I bet you and I are both long in the grave before it gets to the point I believe you hope for.

Nobody pushed too hard for it, because baseball has had it's farm system. That has been around so long that playing in college never became a popular path to the majors. The best sign contracts while in or right out of HS. Colleges usually chose what is left. If the best talent were coming into the league from colleges, you would see more funds for baseball scholarships.

I personally think that MLB would be better off long term if they let more of the home grown talent develop through college. But when you also can get talent from Japan, South and Central America, Cuba, Haiti and the Dominican Republic, and God knows where else, I doubt scholarship money is going to roll in for baseball players. The balance between supply and demand works against it.

Yeah, football will get more scholarship dollars, because of how things have been structured over the years. Basketball too. But for baseball, it's going to take a few more years of diligent campaigning to effect the changes for which you speak.

But it isn't a travesty nor is it some hypocritical conspiracy. It is merely caused by how professional baseball built itself independently of the colleges and universities. However, if you are hoping it changes, I am on board with that. But I bet you and I are both long in the grave before it gets to the point I believe you hope for.

The issue isn't funding for scholarships, it's the NCAA's artificial limitations. I recently read that MLB has been trying to work with the NCAA to push for more baseball scholarship allowances, as well as funding some scholarships themselves. The NCAA's stance on "amateurism" and the obvious Title IX issues are the roadblocks.

In order to increase allowances to let's say 25 scholarships, each institution would be forced to make the necessary changes to comply with Title IX (offer equal number of scholarships to women). This may include cutting other men's sports - possibly baseball - or adding the necessary women's sports. In other words, instead of just adding the cost of 13.3 baseball scholarships, they would have to either cut other men's scholarships/programs or offer the same additional scholarships for women, for a total of 26.6 additional scholarships.

Reactions: 1 person
The issue isn't funding for scholarships, it's the NCAA's artificial limitations. I recently read that MLB has been trying to work with the NCAA to push for more baseball scholarship allowances, as well as funding some scholarships themselves. The NCAA's stance on "amateurism" and the obvious Title IX issues are the roadblocks.

In order to increase allowances to let's say 25 scholarships, each institution would be forced to make the necessary changes to comply with Title IX (offer equal number of scholarships to women). This may include cutting other men's sports - possibly baseball - or adding the necessary women's sports. In other words, instead of just adding the cost of 13.3 baseball scholarships, they would have to either cut other men's scholarships/programs or offer the same additional scholarships for women, for a total of 26.6 additional scholarships.

Is the number of softball scholarships 11.7?

VN Store

Back