Tony Vitello's Staff Questions and Comments

Volunteer08

I went through the announcement thread and saw some questions, but thought it would be easier to start a new thread.

Anyone close to the program know when his staff will start coming together? How will Todd Helton fit in with the program moving forward?

Reactions: 1 person
I went through the announcement thread and saw some questions, but thought it would be easier to start a new thread.

Anyone close to the program know when his staff will start coming together? How will Todd Helton fit in with the program moving forward?

If you watch the video of Vitello's welcoming again, I believe he said something about some he might have in mind still being involved in trying to get to the college world series. So, if you have time on your hands, look up the teams still in it, and look at who is on their staffs.

No idea about Todd Helton. Ask somebody who knows him, but they might not tell you. I know one person who has had dealings with him, and he tends to be tight lipped about things.

Last edited:
CTV said he wanted a former HC on his staff. Hiring Larry Simcox would accomplish the same thing. Simcox ran the program for a lot of the time Delmonico was the HC, he is well respected in the area, has contacts with coaches, and knows the SEC as well as anyone.

How will Todd Helton fit in with the program moving forward?

WHY all these questions about Todd Helton. What makes anyone think he could or would be willing to give advice or Coach in ANY form. It is the same crap about Manning coming back.
Here is what Helton should do, raise money for the program and assist in recruiting.......and enjoy retirement. :hi:

Reactions: 5 people
WHY all these questions about Todd Helton. What makes anyone think he could or would be willing to give advice or Coach in ANY form. It is the same crap about Manning coming back.
:hi:

I didn't mean from a coaching standpoint. I just think it's good for the program to keep someone like that around...even if he's just raising money.

I just hope he sticks around.

Here is what Helton should do, raise money for the program and assist in recruiting.......and enjoy retirement. :hi:

Um not really seeing as Helton has actually been involved with the program, taking the volunteer role of director of player development.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor.../?hootPostID=86d765e1dd019967c2ee93f926ef2dca

If you watch the video of Vitello's welcoming again, I believe he said something about some he might have in mind still being involved in trying to get to the college world series. So, if you have time on your hands, look up the teams still in it, and look at who is on their staffs.

No idea about Todd Helton. Ask somebody who knows him, but they might not tell you. I know one person who has had dealings with him, and he tends to be tight lipped about things.

I like this - bringing in guys who know how to win.

CTV said he wanted a former HC on his staff. Hiring Larry Simcox would accomplish the same thing. Simcox ran the program for a lot of the time Delmonico was the HC, he is well respected in the area, has contacts with coaches, and knows the SEC as well as anyone.

I really like Simcox but being a local-respected guy doesn't mean he'll fit Vitello's philosophy of hitting and player development. I'm going to bet with a new pitching coach we'll see a new hitting coach and staff.

I really like Simcox but being a local-respected guy doesn't mean he'll fit Vitello's philosophy of hitting and player development. I'm going to bet with a new pitching coach we'll see a new hitting coach and staff.

This.

Just don't see Simcox being retained. It's time for new blood all the way around with the coaching staff.

I don't expect him to retain Simcox but if he was looking for someone to rely on for experience in running a program, this program, then he'd fit the bill.

However, all coaches have to be given the right to put their own staff together as they see fit. And, Vitello surely has a good idea as to who he wants on his staff.

Vitello is on with Russell W. Smith on FoxSportsRadioKnoxville as I type.

Vitello just teased that he is close to getting his pitching coach hired - hopefully this afternoon - and while not giving a name, he said he was a former head coach in the Big 12.

Last edited:
And it is pure speculation, but the pitching coach could be former Oklahoma State head coach and current University of Houston pitching coach Frank Anderson. He certainly does fit the description that Vitello hinted at.

And it is pure speculation, but the pitching coach could be former Oklahoma State head coach and current University of Houston pitching coach Frank Anderson. He certainly does fit the description that Vitello hinted at.

[Twitter]https://twitter.com/kendallrogersd1/status/874361488374460416[/Twitter]

well, I just hope he brings a big fence with him...and some help to put it around the state...at least, for now...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

I like this - bringing in guys who know how to win.

Well, take that with a grain of salt. Every team not trying to make the series usually waits until it's all over to start inquiries. If Vitello is married and has kids, he needs time to relocate without every jackass journalist wanting to tail him asking dumb questions. So, that statement's intent might just be as a call for patience as much as anything.

He may bring some of those guys in, but nobody needs to panic if the hires aren't made in a week or two.

Well, take that with a grain of salt. Every team not trying to make the series usually waits until it's all over to start inquiries. If Vitello is married and has kids, he needs time to relocate without every jackass journalist wanting to tail him asking dumb questions. So, that statement's intent might just be as a call for patience as much as anything.

He may bring some of those guys in, but nobody needs to panic if the hires aren't made in a week or two.
This is VolNation...Panic is what they do...

Haven't seen one poster complain about the timing of assistant hires. Also he has no family. Relax my friend. Nothing like an uniformed rant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Wonder if Brian Hochevar is in play as pitching coach?

He should be. That's a big opportunity to develop the current pitchers and eval /recruit the next ones.

Also, just can't pass it up BV.

VNBaseball CTV Staff Uninformed Rant #1...

Sure hope we get some info on the new staff this week. Just haven't got much to go on yet.

Sorry. Didn't mean to go off like that.

Vitello is single with no kids.

VN Store

Back