New conference

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
SORRY NEWS CONFERENCE

Whenever I see an introductory news conference at UT for a new coach.

I inevitable compare it to the worst media event I ever saw in Todd Raleigh.

It's not hard to win the news conference but sure as hell Todd Raleigh lost his. Raleigh is also the only coach in a generation whose name did not end with a "O"

That being said, nothing surprising in the news conference that I'm watching recorded now.

There is no doubt that CTV will have the best hair in the league.

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060917aaa.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
SORRY NEWS CONFERENCE

Whenever I see an introductory news conference at UT for a new coach.

I inevitable compare it to the worst media event I ever saw in Todd Raleigh.

It's not hard to win the news conference but sure as hell Todd Raleigh lost his. Raleigh is also the only coach in a generation whose name did not end with a "O"

http://www.utsports.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/060917aaa.html

I don't know. Donnie Tyndall's was pretty bad. Little no neck "Paul Bearer" looking yankee couldn't even pronounce Vols.

Reactions: 3 people
The worst was Rick Barnes' introductory presser when the microphone went out and nobody had a back up.

That was just bizarre. Pretty much like most everything within the UTAD is now.

This guy will be relentless on the recruiting trail and that was a good turnout at Lindsey Nelson Stadium for the press conference.

Not bad, not bad...married to the game...big time recruiter, recruiting already and with hair like that, I'd never where a hat...

Let's see what he can do!

GBO!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Not bad, not bad...married to the game...big time recruiter, recruiting already and with hair like that, I'd never where a hat...

Let's see what he can do!

GBO!!!

Lmao 😂 Vol66

Hmmm. Then maybe he is going to fight to have more than 11.7. If not I hate his answer.

The AD's answer felt like a slide step (avoid the topic) with direction towards using common market and in-state recruiting to counter the 11.7.

Here's his answer from the transcript:

“I’m not in favor of moderating any opportunities for young people. We have great
opportunities here at the University of Tennessee. We have an academic common
market with a number of 14 surrounding states, which several of our current players are
benefitting from. What we have to do is make sure to get the players in our state and
region who are fits for Tennessee. We have to do a great job of accentuating the
opportunities and advantages that come from attending this university.”

Sounds like a decision has already been made, at the conference or NCAA level, that that's not the way they're going to address that issue.

Of course, the real issue is title IX. If the NCAA would just bump the number up to something more reasonable, like 18 or 20, I think all would be fine.

Here's his answer from the transcript:

“I’m not in favor of moderating any opportunities for young people. We have great
opportunities here at the University of Tennessee. We have an academic common
market with a number of 14 surrounding states, which several of our current players are
benefitting from. What we have to do is make sure to get the players in our state and
region who are fits for Tennessee. We have to do a great job of accentuating the
opportunities and advantages that come from attending this university.”

Sounds like a decision has already been made, at the conference or NCAA level, that that's not the way they're going to address that issue.

Of course, the real issue is title IX. If the NCAA would just bump the number up to something more reasonable, like 18 or 20, I think all would be fine.

Lol. What a contradictory answer!!' He doesn't want to limit opportunities but he wants kids from out of state to be limited to common market majors just because of financing. That's bull **** and I would be damned if I would let my son go to a school where he had very little choice of what to major in. Massive fail of an answer

Lol. What a contradictory answer!!' He doesn't want to limit opportunities but he wants kids from out of state to be limited to common market majors just because of financing. That's bull **** and I would be damned if I would let my son go to a school where he had very little choice of what to major in. Massive fail of an answer

I'm not sure he won't consider doing what Vandy does, off that answer alone. The question was explicitly about meddling in Vandy's affairs and he said he's not for that. It was a tough question to be asked on the spot and he probably handled it the best he could given the circumstances. Having someone running your program who's used to waiving OOS tuition for all students, maybe that's something Vitello pushes for or at least hammers home. I'm sure Serrano learned as he got here but he had very little idea what he was walking into from a recruiting standpoint. He was in the most talent rich baseball state, at a school with great tradition and sub-par academics; it was like shooting fish in a barrel at CSFU.

I have a question after hearing the announcers on the Davidson TAM broadcast talking about Davidson only having less than 3 total scholarships for their baseball team. Is this because of the conference or size of the school?

I have a question after hearing the announcers on the Davidson TAM broadcast talking about Davidson only having less than 3 total scholarships for their baseball team. Is this because of the conference or size of the school?

Because of the resources the school decides to allocate to baseball scholarships, either because it has limited funds or because of the cost of offsetting additional baseball scholarships with women's scholarship opportunities.

My guess is that the Title IX squeeze is part of the reason because of how many men's sports the school offers. It is one of only 5 of the 14 A10 schools to offer all 9 A10 men's sports, plus it has football and wrestling teams that participate in other conferences. All those men's participation and scholarship opportunities need matching women's opportunities. At a school of only 2,000 students, that can put the squeeze on the baseball scholarship budget.

It may also be that their need-based financial aid and merit scholarship programs are sufficient to make it affordable for the players who fit at the school to attend.

VN Store

Back