Did Currie blow it?

Too early to tell, IMO. Arkansas is a good model for Tennessee to emulate. Knows the SEC. Arkansas can hit the ball.

Yes It's too early to tell but if Calvi would have taken the job you have to go down that road imo

I assume South Carolina got involved with Calvi before we could get him signed. Obviously his comments say differently, but he's not going to publicly say he's talking to them either. So, no I don't think Currie blew it. JMO.

Reactions: 6 people
May have hit a homerun or added another name to his list of "not real impressive hires" only time will tell.

Agreed but that brings up timing.
Wrap him up sooner

Calvi's season ended Sunday night. I guess you could say two days may have been enough time to wrap him up, but I'm not so sure. Currie could've been ready to go as well and Calvi balked at signing, holding out for a possible Carolina opening.

Last edited:
Calvi's season ended late Monday night. I guess you could say one day (Tuesday) may have been enough time to wrap him up, but I'm not so sure. Currie could've been ready to go as well and Calvi balked at signing, holding out for a possible Carolina opening.

I don't disagree just food for thought. Bama hired their coach before his season was over

Reactions: 1 person
Sounds like Calvi shut things down when the
South Carolina job opened up.

Exactly. Tanner didn't have to contact him. He heard the news and knows in the back of his mind he will be a candidate at the least. Hard to interview for a better job if you just took a job 24 hrs earlier.

Reactions: 1 person
Calvi is awful talkative about the situation. Most coaches just say I'm where I want to be and I'm happy or whatever. To come out publicly and explicitly say you were approached and turned it down because you're not leaving for just any old job doesn't sit well with me. Maybe I'm a snowflake and get my feelings hurt but it comes off as arrogant and a bit classless. You don't need to spread your private dealings and $hit on UT while doing it.

Reactions: 9 people
I don't disagree just food for thought. Bama hired their coach before his season was over

This is why I give Mr. Currie a "B" here...Bama got their guy locked up ASAP...then he went after Calvi but didn't get him, for whatever reason...but he got off the mat and made a solid hire.

I had said all along a current SEC assistant that is a good recruiter is the way I would go if I had the power...we got that. It's still a crap shoot, just gonna have to back the hire and hope for the best.

GBO!!!

Reactions: 4 people
Calvi is awful talkative about the situation. Most coaches just say I'm where I want to be and I'm happy or whatever. To come out publicly and explicitly say you were approached and turned it down because you're not leaving for just any old job doesn't sit well with me. Maybe I'm a snowflake and get my feelings hurt but it comes off as arrogant and a bit classless. You don't need to spread your private dealings and $hit on UT while doing it.

I agree. I think he wants the world to know he turned it down waiting on usce

Reactions: 5 people
This guy already has a staff in place. Either we were after both of these guys equally, the Calvi story isn't 100% accurate OR our new coach is a great planner and knew his day was coming soon.

Like a man with a plan!

This guy already has a staff in place. Either we were after both of these guys equally, the Calvi story isn't 100% accurate OR our new coach is a great planner and knew his day was coming soon.

Like a man with a plan!

Who is on staff?

Who's to say that Currie didn't have Calvi ready to sign, but Calvi may have asked for a week to think about it and Currie said he couldn't wait?

If that's the case, and SC ends up hiring Calvi, then Currie probably made the right call to scoop up Vitello. Someone was eventually going to offer Vitello, and if you sit around waiting for Calvi and Vitello goes elsewhere, then you're really in a fix.

Reactions: 2 people
Who's to say that Currie didn't have Calvi ready to sign, but Calvi may have asked for a week to think about it and Currie said he couldn't wait?

If that's the case, and SC ends up hiring Calvi, then Currie probably made the right call to scoop up Vitello. Someone was eventually going to offer Vitello, and if you sit around waiting for Calvi and Vitello goes elsewhere, then you're really in a fix.

I agree, that's why I said, "for whatever reason"...too much we don't know about the situation with Calvi, probably will never know...solid hire. Pleasantly surprised, really.

VN Store

Back