Chad Holbrook?

Volsfaninva917

So who’s on Tennessee’s list? Sounds like South Carolina’s Chad Holbrook is Currie & Co.’s top choice, if the Gamecocks decide to go in a different direction. Holbrook may be meeting this week with USC A.D. (and former CWS-winning head coach) Ray Tanner about the future direction of the program. Holbrook’s next win would be career win No. 200, and he’s 14 games above .500 (81-67) in SEC play, despite losing records in two of the past three league seasons. Holbrook had an annual salary of $400,000 just a couple years ago, well below what Tennessee had been paying the fired Dave Serrano.

https://bricesviewsfromthetop.wordp...ges-football-salaries-soar-stipe-a-huge-hire/
:furious3::furious3::furious3:

Reactions: 1 person
Typical UT move.... Hire a never-was, that's getting worse.

Just drop baseball already. If THAT is the best we can do... just start up a lacrosse team or something.

If you are trying to catch up with South Carolina, why would you hire a guy they just fired (assuming they do) because he's not getting the job done there.:no:

If you are trying to catch up with South Carolina, why would you hire a guy they just fired (assuming they do) because he's not getting the job done there.:no:

Just playing devil's advocate here, but maybe Tanner isn't doing everything he can to help Holbrook succeed? Or maybe Tanner is micromanaging him and Holbrook is tired of it?

I'm not defending the job Holbrook has done the past couple seasons, but there could be circumstances we're not aware of.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but maybe Tanner isn't doing everything he can to help Holbrook succeed? Or maybe Tanner is micromanaging him and Holbrook is tired of it?

I'm not defending the job Holbrook has done the past couple seasons, but there could be circumstances we're not aware of.

Could be but do you really think this athletic department would do more than SC regarding baseball? Especially having a former baseball HC as the AD.

Could be but do you really think this athletic department would do more than SC regarding baseball? Especially having a former baseball HC as the AD.

From an historical perspective, no, we will not do more than SC. But I think the jury is out on Currie. Really it's going to take a few hires in a few different sports before we have an indication of which direction he will take the AD.

How about Dave Tollett from Florida Gulf Coast? Impressive wins against Florida, Florida State, USF, etc. Built program from scratch.

Is there not a rockies first baseman some where on campus
or is he not interested?

And never coached. Helton's max job, prior to gaining experience, should be as a hitting coach. As has been mentioned as nauseum there's so much more that goes into managing than knowing how to hit or throw a baseball.

On the plus side, he absolutely knows the lay of the land and what it takes to be competitive in the SEC.

On the negative side, if he can't win with the resources and recruiting advantages that he has at USC, what is his ceiling at UT as it's currently oriented?

How about Dave Tollett from Florida Gulf Coast? Impressive wins against Florida, Florida State, USF, etc. Built program from scratch.

I love Dave Tollett and would be excited if he came to Tennessee. However, I don't see him leaving FGCU until he retires.

Just watched a video on the State newspaper website [http://www.thestate.com/] in Columbia. They are supposedly reaching out to the coaches at the following schools to gauge interest: UVA, Louisville, Vanderbilt and Florida!!!! If none of those pan out, then target Calvi at S. Al and Lovelady an UCF.

Amazing to see the difference between these two athletic programs when it comes to baseball. C'mon Currie! GET WITH IT!

Just watched a video on the State newspaper website [http://www.thestate.com/] in Columbia. They are supposedly reaching out to the coaches at the following schools to gauge interest: UVA, Louisville, Vanderbilt and Florida!!!! If none of those pan out, then target Calvi at S. Al and Lovelady an UCF.

Amazing to see the difference between these two athletic programs when it comes to baseball. C'mon Currie! GET WITH IT!

Currie didn't make this job suck

Currie didn't make this job suck

No, you are correct but if he hires a coach that was just fired...cough, cough, resigned...then he is not helping it either. This is truly a make or break hire for UT baseball and he has to get someone in here that has passion and can turn this ship around. The coaches at UK, Miss State and now Bama should be the blue print. There are more out there but I just do not see Holbrook being the answer. Hopefully John Brice is incorrect.

No, you are correct but if he hires a coach that was just fired...cough, cough, resigned...then he is not helping it either. This is truly a make or break hire for UT baseball and he has to get someone in here that has passion and can turn this ship around. The coaches at UK, Miss State and now Bama should be the blue print. There are more out there but I just do not see Holbrook being the answer. Hopefully John Brice is incorrect.

I would rather have Calvi, Mazey or Szefc but I damn sure would rather have Holbrook over Burke or lawson.

I don't know a whole lot about college baseball, but there is no way they land the coaches at UL, Vandy, and UF. Those guys are in great jobs. I don't know enough about UVA.

VN Store

Back