Status of Tennessee Baseball

Orange&White

While Tennessee is not a baseball juggernaut, we have fielded some great teams and players. With our resources and fan base, there is no reason why we cannot field a competitive team each and every year. We should be able to win some SEC championship and obtain NCAA tournament births.

However, after reading this article I feel like there is a lot that can be improved on for Tennessee baseball. The gist of the article is discussing the revenue and profits of SEC baseball teams. We paid our head coach $679,000 (With bonuses and benefits). It shows our baseball program at a $4+ million deficit. Plus when you look at the facilities throughout the SEC, I think we can improve Lindsey Nelson.

Here's the article: http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_5edd22c0-465c-11e7-8b99-c709d5eb08c1.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
While Tennessee is not a baseball juggernaut, we have fielded some great teams and players. With our resources and fan base, there is no reason why we cannot field a competitive team each and every year. We should be able to win some SEC championship and obtain NCAA tournament births.

However, after reading this article I feel like there is a lot that can be improved on for Tennessee baseball. The gist of the article is discussing the revenue and profits of SEC baseball teams. We paid our head coach $679,000 (With bonuses and benefits). It shows our baseball program at a $4+ million deficit. Plus when you look at the facilities throughout the SEC, I think we can improve Lindsey Nelson.

Here's the article: http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_5edd22c0-465c-11e7-8b99-c709d5eb08c1.html

Great an eye opening reading!!:p

My first take is that it's hard to believe those salary numbers for the HC and assistants as far as the Tennessee #'s...

Reactions: 2 people
My first take is that it's hard to believe those salary numbers for the HC and assistants as far as the Tennessee #'s...

Yes, I think it shows that we are willing to pay, or at least have paid enough, to attract a successful coach. It's sad to see how we are among the top in coaching salaries, but at the bottom for results on the field and revenue. Hopefully we can get us a coach who will turn this program around and get us back on track for competiting to win championships.

numbers may be off a bit or they may be decently accurate....bottom line is it starts at the top and the UTAD is/was horribly managed and the past administration(s) were awful at their job.

Reactions: 3 people
getting right coaches in place, hopefully, puts us on the road to more success...issues will rectify themselves by winning, as always...IMHO facilities and salaries aren't the issues...:)

GBO!

Those are salaries and all benefits to go with positions I think. That still seems a little high to me however!:)

I'm not all that UP on the subject but doesn't the way UT handles scholarships have something detrimental to do with the program?

As I have stated before, take a tour of the locker room, team room, video room, batting cages and weight room. Those are equal to almost any facility in the SEC. The stadium is nice, but obviously they have not attracted enough fans to justify a major expansion. Seating capacity is similar to UGA, Kentucky, Florida, Missouri and Vandy. Other than South Carolina, our facilities are not the problem in the SEC east. Just have not been able to create a culture of winning baseball. Because the SEC is such a superior conference to any other, I have to think the right staff could make this work. I thought Serrano could do it and I think he tried, but whether it was his west coast small ball or his inability to recruit SEC caliber pitching/depth, it just didn't work. I think the local community will support baseball if they win.

I'm not all that UP on the subject but doesn't the way UT handles scholarships have something detrimental to do with the program?

NO!

This is probably the worst argument people can make about UT being bad at baseball.

Private schools can offer more scholarship money than public schools. That's the jest of the whole thing.

That argument gives 0 attention to why schools like: LSU, Florida, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Clemson, Louisville, Virginia, South Carolina, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, etc excel at baseball.

It focuses mostly on why Vanderbilt has done so well recently.

NO!

This is probably the worst argument people can make about UT being bad at baseball.

Private schools can offer more scholarship money than public schools. That's the jest of the whole thing.

That argument gives 0 attention to why schools like: LSU, Florida, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Clemson, Louisville, Virginia, South Carolina, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, etc excel at baseball.

It focuses mostly on why Vanderbilt has done so well recently.

YES!

All public schools don't offer the same deals as others.

YES!

All public schools don't offer the same deals as others.

True, it is possible that this is a minor issue, but it's not the biggest issue.

This and facilities are talked up way more than anything else and they are 2 reasons that shouldn't be of major concern.

Yes, I think it shows that we are willing to pay, or at least have paid enough, to attract a successful coach. It's sad to see how we are among the top in coaching salaries, but at the bottom for results on the field and revenue. Hopefully we can get us a coach who will turn this program around and get us back on track for competiting to win championships.

Hire Bruce!

VN Store

Back