I have a name for you one of Phil Garners coaches

3rdsac29

Doug Mansolino, 33 years of professional baseball, 13 in the major leagues, been in a World Series, all-star game both while with the Astros. Interim bench coach with 2008 Phillies, world Champions. Amer. League championship series with Chi WS, currently Field coordinator for the Phillies minor league system which won more games than any Org. in baseball last year. Has managed in the minor leagues, coached in college, was actually Chris Burke's coach in the Big Leagues and is a local resident. I believe he comes with Phil Garners endorsement. How come no one has mentioned his name? Has anyone even reached out to him.

Reactions: 1 person
Well 29, his kid went to Vandy, Cafego would not approve. :)

Kidding aside, what does he do now? I saw that he worked with the Phillies during spring training this past spring...

I don't know a lot about him, what college experience does he have?

Welcome to the board!

Reactions: 2 people
Oct. 9, 2005: Chris Burke's 18th-inning homer caps Game 4 of the NLDS

When Chris Burke headed for the batter's box with one out in the 18th inning of Game 4 of the 2005 National League Division Series against the Atlanta Braves, it had been four weeks to the day since he'd last driven in a run. He'd entered this game only because Houston Astros manager Phil Garner felt he needed a pinch runner for Lance Berkman in the 10th. And Burke wasn't a guy anyone would have nominated as Most Likely To Imitate Joe Carter.

But Braves rookie Joey Devine fell behind Burke 2-0 then threw a waist-high fastball that tailed right into Burke's best hack. And as the baseball flew toward the left-field scoreboard, Burke began sprinting up the line, not quite sure whether it was safe to pump his fists. And then the ball disappeared into the third row, 338 feet from the spot Burke had hit it. And Burke had just swatted himself into October history. It wasn't until he'd sprinted all the way to third base, and spotted third-base coach Doug Mansolino, that it began to seep in that "this was pretty big -- because [Mansolino's] eyes," Burke said, "were as big as his face." He disappeared into a mob scene at home plate, as fireworks exploded, a train whistle pierced the sky and confetti floated out of the upper deck. For the next 10 minutes, it was New Year's Eve. -Jayson Stark

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/happened-october-31-mlbs-memorable-moments/story?id=34631104

He is currently the Field coordinator for the Phillies which is basically the guy in charge of the on field development of every player and staff member. They had the best winning percentage of all 30 organizations in 2016 and currently have the best this year. He started out coaching in college for 4 years before he went into pro ball. I know he has a degree because he taught at the same college he was coaching. Great baseball man I listened to him at one of our luncheons a couple of years ago anyone that Phil Garner keeps as his 3rd base coach and Bench coach can't be all bad. What I like he deals with our age group kids every day. Would love to see Currie just interview him he might learn something. Has a lot of baseball experience. I think he should be on Curries list. Maybe Currie will reach out to Garner and get some more information.

Reactions: 3 people
He is currently the Field coordinator for the Phillies which is basically the guy in charge of the on field development of every player and staff member. They had the best winning percentage of all 30 organizations in 2016 and currently have the best this year. He started out coaching in college for 4 years before he went into pro ball. I know he has a degree because he taught at the same college he was coaching. Great baseball man I listened to him at one of our luncheons a couple of years ago anyone that Phil Garner keeps as his 3rd base coach and Bench coach can't be all bad. What I like he deals with our age group kids every day. Would love to see Currie just interview him he might learn something. Has a lot of baseball experience. I think he should be on Curries list. Maybe Currie will reach out to Garner and get some more information.

Certainly would not hurt to talk to him.

Especially after reading where Currie said he is not necessarily locked in to going the conventional way a college coach. Where has the conventional way got us so far. Maybe it's time to hire a true baseball man.

Especially after reading where Currie said he is not necessarily locked in to going the conventional way a college coach. Where has the conventional way got us so far. Maybe it's time to hire a true baseball man.

I would wonder if he wants to leave coaching at the level, I mean, that's the highest of levels. To come to Tennessee and have to recruit and do all of the NON-baseball stuff seems like a major change for a guy.

I only mentioned him because my wife meet his wife through a friend and said she has heard her husband talk about how much he would like to change the opinion the baseball world has of our baseball program. He's pretty much accomplished and experienced everything at the pro ball level and wants to take on the challenge of turning our program around. Interesting isn't it, baseball guys don't come around like this to often. Maybe between us we can get some more people involved and at least get Currie to consider him I think we owe it to our program. What do you think?

I only mentioned him because my wife meet his wife through a friend and said she has heard her husband talk about how much he would like to change the opinion the baseball world has of our baseball program. He's pretty much accomplished and experienced everything at the pro ball level and wants to take on the challenge of turning our program around. Interesting isn't it, baseball guys don't come around like this to often. Maybe between us we can get some more people involved and at least get Currie to consider him I think we owe it to our program. What do you think?

Well, I'm all for having a well informed AD. The fact that Rusty Ensor, who was on a committee six years ago when CDS was hired, said today that he's not sure there will be a committee this time was a bit concerning.

I hope Todd Helton is weighing in and anyone with baseball experience, including Mr. Mansolino should be heard if they have an opinion on a baseball program that has been irrelevant for 20+ years and hasn't really been very competitive in the sport of baseball in the SEC throughout it's history.

If thats as it sounds...

John Currie Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics (865) 974-1224
athleticdirector@utk.edu

And

Carmen Tegano Associate Athletics Director
(865) 974-2929
ctegano@tennessee.edu

Reach out. Its more than worth a shot if someone at that level would lead the program. If nothing else, the advice and potential relationships would be huge.

Vols, here is the deal, Tennessee was not competitive in the past--not that much, at least. We didn't have the horses in state to compete--now we do. What is the problem now? We have no mojo. Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, and (ugh) Vandy can clean up the great talent that has arisen in our state. Why? Commitment, facilities, creativity toward scholarship--mostly commitment toward guys who would commit to us.

Why would a blue chipper commit here if the field, locker room, and all surrounding environment is a lot less than LSU, SC, Vandy, etc I think the problem and solution begins in Curries' office.

I do know when Mansolino took over the minor league system it was was 29th out of 30 and in one year went to 7th than the next year went to number one I forgot to add that sounds like he knows what he's doing. What do you think. Let's go Vols I think it's time to get the right guy in place the conventional way hasn't worked opinions please.

I do know when Mansolino took over the minor league system it was was 29th out of 30 and in one year went to 7th than the next year went to number one I forgot to add that sounds like he knows what he's doing. What do you think. Let's go Vols I think it's time to get the right guy in place the conventional way hasn't worked opinions please.

All I can really add to the discussion is this...if he he is currently employed by an MLB team, it's going to be tough from a time line perspective isn't it?

Vols, here is the deal, Tennessee was not competitive in the past--not that much, at least. We didn't have the horses in state to compete--now we do. What is the problem now? We have no mojo. Kentucky, Alabama, Georgia, and (ugh) Vandy can clean up the great talent that has arisen in our state. Why? Commitment, facilities, creativity toward scholarship--mostly commitment toward guys who would commit to us.

Why would a blue chipper commit here if the field, locker room, and all surrounding environment is a lot less than LSU, SC, Vandy, etc I think the problem and solution begins in Curries' office.
Nailed it! :good!:

I couldn't disagree with this more. People here have an inflated view of talent in state. Friend of mine told me there was a 72 mph righty facing a 68mph lefty against each other in the AAA state tourney. Said it was the worst he had seen it in 20 years. Facilities aren't the issue. Tennesse has on par facilities with Programs doing well in the SEC.

I saw your post about the time line would be difficult to aquire Mansolino if that were the case. I don't know enough about it but asked a friend of mine and he told me Major League clubs have a policy if an employee feels like they can better themselves both financially and career wise they don't stand in their way at least interview him. I read a lot of good stuff about this guy not only from his peers but also from former and current players. Oh I might add he has been part of the coaching staff with 5 Hall of Famers. Fisk, Frank Thomas, Biggio, Bagwell, and Tim Raines. Not to shabby!

just hire Burke...keep Todd/assistant coach...Coach Simcox...hitting/3rd base coach...Rusty...I'll find a place for him...need some youth to generate some excitement in the clubhouse and recruiting...why not spread some love on players who actually played here...what has anything else done for us...go ahead Mr. Currie...pull the trigger...:)

PS... names mentioned above may or may not be interested, but hey, gotta start somewhere...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

Mansolino was Burke's coach why not at least interview the Teacher before the student maybe the teacher has good things to say about the student and maybe Mansolino wouldn't want to talk but least ask him heck he may want to groom Burke and sit right next to him and keep teaching, you can't manafacture experience it's worth it's weight in gold. Just a thought or maybe Burke is one of his coaches and learns from his previous teacher, and then takes over after a few years. Interesting thoughts.

I couldn't disagree with this more. People here have an inflated view of talent in state. Friend of mine told me there was a 72 mph righty facing a 68mph lefty against each other in the AAA state tourney. Said it was the worst he had seen it in 20 years. Facilities aren't the issue. Tennesse has on par facilities with Programs doing well in the SEC.

AA in Tennessee has several power 5 guys. Also, Team Tennessee won the Sunbelt tourney last year and a lot of those guys are back.

AA in Tennessee has several power 5 guys. Also, Team Tennessee won the Sunbelt tourney last year and a lot of those guys are back.

A is better as well but guess where all the good ones are going?

You guessed it

VN Store

Back