Chris Burke, ESPN Analyst:

Erik Bakich, Michigan:

John Sfecz, Maryland:

Cliff Godwin, East Carolina:

Rick Honeycutt, Los Angeles Dodgers:

Randy Mazey, West Virginia:

Mark Calvi, South Alabama:

Brad Bohannon, Auburn:

As a disclaimer, D1 Baseball is a great service and well worth the subscription. Could also be part of the Pick'em Grand Prize..........:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I want Kevin McMullen or Eric Bakich

I don't think Helton is a real candidate

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm doubling up for Burke and don't let my Pick'em points sway you.... I like going outside the box. He knows talent, he knows the game, from what I've been told an excellent instructor and can sell himself and the program to any recruit out there. As mentioned, needs to accompany himself with the right staff, which shouldn't be a problem. Flame away....

Reactions: 4 people
Need to hire Alan Cockrell, former Vol QB/Baseball player, coach with Rockies and Current Yankees hitting coach. He's probably more than ready to jettison out of the Big Apple for friendlier confines!

He can get the Vols hitting again to go with promising young pitchers.

I met the guy when he was coaching the Colorado Springs Sky Sox at the Pueblo Zoo of all places...in the Spring of 1998 where we talked about the Vols and that turned out to be a magical season!

Just Hire the Dude!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Need to hire Alan Cockrell, former Vol QB/Baseball player, coach with Rockies and Current Yankees hitting coach. He's probably more than ready to jettison out of the Big Apple for friendlier confines!

He can get the Vols hitting again to go with promising young pitchers.

I met the guy when he was coaching the Colorado Springs Sky Sox at the Pueblo Zoo of all places...in the Spring of 1998 where we talked about the Vols and that turned out to be a magical season!

Just Hire the Dude!!!

Yanks are playing and hitting well. The money won't come close. It's the Yankees, not the Athletics.

admit...I am biased...bring on Burke, keep Todd...ask Coach Simcox if he would like to stay on...and I would talk to Rusty also...just saying...want some Orange blood running the show for a change...:)

PS. Thanks OT!

GO BIG ORANGE!

I heard from a couple of former UT Baseball players that Chris Burke really wants the job badly.

Kendall Rogers just added Bohannon to the list,

Brad Bohannon, Auburn: While the Volunteers are likely to go to the head coach route for a new coach, there is some buzz about the second-year Auburn assistant. Bohannon earned a stellar reputation on the recruiting trail during his 12 seasons in Lexington, and has done a nice job at Auburn during his two campaigns as well. Bohannon also spent two seasons as an assistant at Wake Forest, so he clearly has ties and knowledge of the recruiting areas in Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina, among other regions.

EDIT:
added his twitter........

Kendall Rogers‏Verified account @KendallRogersD1 3h3 hours ago
More
COACHING BUZZ: We've added an eighth candidate to our @Vol_Baseball hot board. Info is flowing in.

Curious as to what info is flowing in........

Last edited:
Kendall Rogers just added Bohannon to the list,

Brad Bohannon, Auburn: While the Volunteers are likely to go to the head coach route for a new coach, there is some buzz about the second-year Auburn assistant. Bohannon earned a stellar reputation on the recruiting trail during his 12 seasons in Lexington, and has done a nice job at Auburn during his two campaigns as well. Bohannon also spent two seasons as an assistant at Wake Forest, so he clearly has ties and knowledge of the recruiting areas in Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina, among other regions.

EDIT:
added his twitter........

Curious as to what info is flowing in........

Rogers adds names to his list for favors in return. Not saying that is the case here but I have heard that is how he does things.

Rogers adds names to his list for favors in return. Not saying that is the case here but I have heard that is how he does things.

FYI, I just read Brice's Views from the Top, and he says that sources told him that they have vetted Bohannon and even unofficially gauged interest. Rogers may have gotten it from that. Other than Burke, the other names seemed to be new: Clay Greene (Memphis assistant and former UT player); Matt Riser (SE Louisiane coach); and Ash Lawson (Mets scout who was an assistant at UT and formerly coached at Tennessee Wesleyan).

FYI, I just read Brice's Views from the Top, and he says that sources told him that they have vetted Bohannon and even unofficially gauged interest. Rogers may have gotten it from that. Other than Burke, the other names seemed to be new: Clay Greene (Memphis assistant and former UT player); Matt Riser (SE Louisiane coach); and Ash Lawson (Mets scout who was an assistant at UT and formerly coached at Tennessee Wesleyan).

I've never understood the Ash Lawson intrigue. :dunno:

Let's see: An asst from Memphis, HC at a directional school in Louisiana, and a former coach from Tenn Wesleyan!

Wow! That's exciting!!:ermm:

Reactions: 4 people

Brice said Clay Greene was a candidate?

Bohanon should be a candidate. I posted about him last week. I like him

Brice said Clay Greene was a candidate?

Bohanon should be a candidate. I posted about him last week. I like him

Greene knows a lot about hitting. I don't know that he is ready to go from asst at Memphis to UT HC though.

Let's see: An asst from Memphis, HC at a directional school in Louisiana, and a former coach from Tenn Wesleyan!

Wow! That's exciting!!:ermm:

I don't follow college baseball coaching that close to really know. But it's just like other college sports- do you go with an assistant at a power 5 school or a head coach at a mid-major? That's why Currie gets paid the big bucks.

I understand the concern for Burke, but I went to school with him, and he really intrigues me. I don't believe that UT is going to invest the money to sway a current power 5 coach, so it's a little gamble either way you go.

I don't follow college baseball coaching that close to really know. But it's just like other college sports- do you go with an assistant at a power 5 school or a head coach at a mid-major? That's why Currie gets paid the big bucks.

I understand the concern for Burke, but I went to school with him, and he really intrigues me. I don't believe that UT is going to invest the money to sway a current power 5 coach, so it's a little gamble either way you go.

IMO, Burke needs to get some coaching experience on his resume to be considered. Too risky of a pick right now.

As far as head coach, the biggest factor is prior experience in the SEC. IMO, Calvi and Bohannon should be top of the list.

IMO, Burke needs to get some coaching experience on his resume to be considered. Too risky of a pick right now.

As far as head coach, the biggest factor is prior experience in the SEC. IMO, Calvi and Bohannon should be top of the list.

Exactly. ANY coaching, preferably at a college somewhere, and I'd be good with Burke. But damn, he's got nothing on his resume that says he can do the job.

Exactly. ANY coaching, preferably at a college somewhere, and I'd be good with Burke. But damn, he's got nothing on his resume that says he can do the job.
Very true. Just because someone knows the game, is a good analyst, and was a good player with MLB experience...doesn't automatically mean that person would be a good coach. As far as his name helping on the recruiting trail, I'm not so sure. Most on this board know who he is....but kids and recruits live in the here and now. I would be willing to bet that 95% of 16-17 year olds have no idea who he is or remember him playing. I'm not bashing at all. I like Burke. I just think that would be risky at this point.

Very true. Just because someone knows the game, is a good analyst, and was a good player with MLB experience...doesn't automatically mean that person would be a good coach. As far as his name helping on the recruiting trail, I'm not so sure. Most on this board know who he is....but kids and recruits live in the here and now. I would be willing to bet that 95% of 16-17 year olds have no idea who he is or remember him playing. I'm not bashing at all. I like Burke. I just think that would be risky at this point.
His name would mean next to nothing on the recruiting trail.

Get somebody with SEC experience who has a record of finding and developing good pitchers. Improving the program starts with getting good pitchers.

VN Store

Back