Official Eat Crow Thread

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
It's time. I guess, technically, I could wait till after the final out...maybe I should.

I remember the last time like it was yesterday. The Burke camp, the lobbying Tony Basilio did for him. Later in the game there was the Holbrook camp. There was a very small but vocal Ash Lawson camp, I see on another site his name is popping up again. Obviously the drive by guys would throw out Helton or anyone else's name that had anything to do with Vols Baseball, the only requirement...they had to be alive.

I was in the Serrano camp, when Holbrook got thrown into the mix and it appeared it might be down to those two, I said I'b be fine with either, but deep down I wanted to go with the proven guy over a guy that hadn't been a HC before. (looks like I am going to be wrong on both fronts).

Welp, I was wrong. It hasn't worked out. There's a bunch of guys (I guess) that aren't around anymore, or at least they don't post much anymore, but there were a bunch who thought CDS was the wrong move and they made good arguments against CDS and for their choices.

So, this is for all those guys.

Serve it up fellas, I'll take it medium well.

:hi:

Reactions: 4 people
I still can't understand how this didn't work. If not for his ties to Tennessee, we would never have been able to hire a California guy like him from Fullerton.

Reactions: 1 person
There's no guarantee that Holbrook would have been successful here taking over under the same circumstances.

Reactions: 1 person
There's no guarantee that Holbrook would have been successful here taking over under the same circumstances.

If they don't make a regional he might be out at SC. In other words, he might not last as long there as CDS did here.

The bright side is, we can take another run at him!

I kid. :p

If they don't make a regional he might be out at SC. In other words, he might not last as long there as CDS did here.

The bright side is, we can take another run at him!

I kid. :p

LOL!

I just hope more changes than just the coach. I'm tired of saying "next year" until we say "next coach".

No crow dished from me 66, I was right there with you. Most baseball people know it was a good hire that had every appearance of proving successful.

I agree with a few on here, it's just not a good job today. Back in the 90's the facilities did not matter as much and the SEC competition was limited to a few programs. Not now. The facilities are bottom tier and the SEC is pushing the product harder. If they want to play big boy ball they are going to have to jump in with both feet and make all the moves that are needed; or limp along as they have.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't think there is any crow to eat; it was a home run hire at the time, it just hasn't worked out.

Reactions: 3 people
So now the AD must find a willing competent coach for UT baseball. Don't see it with the shabby UT athletic dept. & its lousy history of supporting & promoting the sport. I will be in Hoover ALL next week with no answers as other SEC fans ask what is next in Knoxville. Meanwhile, CDS will land on his feet & be a success somewhere else. Bashers flame away. :whistling:

Reactions: 5 people
I was with you guys too. I'm still a Dave Serrano fan. I love that he wanted this job and proudly proclaimed it. I was present when they swept Mississippi State year before last to make their way into the SEC tournament and it was one of my great Tennessee sports memories. At the very least, he has elevated the program academically and hopefully that will set the table for the next guy to come in a have some success on the field. We also shouldn't forget about last year (I think it was last year) when he had about 8 guys get their degrees. That is an academic Championship even if not as celebrated as winning on the field. Thank you Dave Serrano.

Reactions: 4 people
what makes this coding search such a crapshoot is the CDS hire was golden! Who wouldn't have bet the farm he wouldn't have turned it around. Not CWS births every year but back to a solid program competing for SEC titles.

I was in the Serrano camp as well. It was in my opinion, a great hire at the time. I for sure thought it would work out.

So now the AD must find a willing competent coach for UT baseball. Don't see it with the shabby UT athletic dept. & its lousy history of supporting & promoting the sport. I will be in Hoover ALL next week with no answers as other SEC fans ask what is next in Knoxville. Meanwhile, CDS will land on his feet & be a success somewhere else. Bashers flame away. :whistling:

I'll bet he doesn't do it in a conference like the SEC.

I don't think there is any crow to eat; it was a home run hire at the time, it just hasn't worked out.

Ditto...:thumbsup:...hell, we would have taken just about anybody after (can't say his name publicly)...CDS seemed as good as anyone at the time....

PS. I want me some Orange blood running the program and we need some youth that can coach and relate more to the kids these days...heck, where is the energy you expect to see from a team loving the game and enjoy playing for each other...to me it just hasn't been there the last few years...just saying...

PSII...also, thanks to Coach Serrano...for many reasons...it just didn't work out...:salute:

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 2 people
I am at the table with 66 and will have a nice heapin helpin of crow. Disappointed that it did not go better for CDS, I think he is a genuine good man.

So perhaps we should have kept him and addressed the other issues or factors that keep us from succeeding....I know 'that's not the way its done'...I know the same thing can be said for my line of work, a person is let go and you know he's not the problem and it'll be difficult to find someone better to replace him....Is he a worse coach than when he was hired...who knows maybe this experience didn't break his spirit or resolve but actually strengthen it?

VN Store

Back