CDS Departing

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
Apparently announced to his teams he's not returning at the end of the year

It's going to be interesting who Tennessee can attract.

Can't wait to hear the ignorant radio callers and such calling for guys with no collegiate coaching experience just because they no where Gus's is located.

Would like to see the team close out with a good weekend.

I'm not going to really follow this coaching search
I'm tired

Just need to trust the process and that our new AD truly wants to win in the sport.

I'm sure the new coach will want all the home games streaming or on TV.

Reactions: 2 people
All the best to CDS. Great guy and I really think a good baseball coach. It just didn't work out here.

Interested to see the direction UT goes in.

Reactions: 6 people
Do we go young up and comer, or spend the money and get a proven guy. CDS was a proven guy, that didn't work. Todd R before him was unproven, that didn't work. I wonder who we target.

All the best to CDS. Great guy and I really think a good baseball coach. It just didn't work out here.

Interested to see the direction UT goes in.

Agreed. It is unfortunate it did not work out. He is the kind of guy you root for to succeed.

Reactions: 3 people
Thoughts about:

Mark Kingston - USF
Scott Berry - Southern Miss
Gary Henderson - Former UK skipper
Tony Vitello - Arkansas

Do we go young up and comer, or spend the money and get a proven guy. CDS was a proven guy, that didn't work. Todd R before him was unproven, that didn't work. I wonder who we target.

99.9% sure it will be a younger guy that is coming up the ranks. Doubt that an older, successful coach would even come.

Reactions: 2 people
Good luck to Dave. I have no doubt he can do well somewhere else and perhaps back on the west coast. Also, good luck to Kyle that he can piece things back together in his career.

I've been hard on Dave but he seemed like a good man. It's time to make the Vols an Omaha contender once again and Currie needs to make it happen with a great hire and investing resources.

Reactions: 1 person
Photo by Kim Klement/USA TODAY Sports
Hot Board: Tennessee baseball head coach

INSIDETENNESSEE STAFF
2:31 PM
Tennessee baseball will have a new leader in time for the 2018 season. But, who will it be? InsideTennessee takes a look at the hot board here.

Tennessee director of athletics John Currie has his first major hire at hand after the resignation of Dave Serrano on Wednesday.
What direction will he turn?

InsideTennessee takes a look here:
Likely to get a look

BRAD BOHANNON
Bohannon is currently an assistant coach at Auburn. If Currie goes the route of hiring an assistant, the 2015 national assistant coach of the year makes a lot of sense. Bohannon has enjoyed success at both Kentucky and now Auburn. With the recent success of hiring former assistants as head coaches in the SEC, Bohannon looks to have a great shot at the job.
BRAD BOHANNON BIO
MARK CALVI
Calvi is presently the head coach at South Alabama. The former South Carolina Assistant has made South Alabama a consistent winner since being named the head coach in the summer of 2011. The relentless recruiter might be exactly what the Vols need going forward.
MARK CALVI BIO
ALAN COCKRELL
Cockerel is the current hitting coach for the New York Yankees. The former Tennessee two-sport star will get a lot of support from loyal Tennessee fans. He has MLB experience but will the lack of college coaching experience hurt him in the question.
ALAN COCKRELL BIO
BRIAN GREEN
Green is the head coach at New Mexico State. Green has SEC experience at Kentucky until being named the head coach at New Mexico State in the summer of 2014 where he has quickly turned that program around. Green was the runner up for the Kentucky job last summer and will certainly be a candidate to follow closely.
BRIAN GREEN BIO
JOHN SZEFC
Current head coach at Maryland. Before being named the head coach for the Terps in the summer of 2012 he was an assistant coach at Kansas State, which means a connection to Currie. Expect Szefc to be firmly in the mix.
JOHN SZEFC BIO

Candidates that make sense

Craig Gibson - Mercer head coach — BIO
Cliff Godwin - East Carolina head coach — BIO
Chris Linwood - Old Dominion head coach — BIO
Mike McGuire - Morehead State head coach — BIO
Other names that will be mentioned are Chris Burke, Todd Helton, Gary Henderson and Ashley Lawson.

Thoughts about:

Mark Kingston - USF
Scott Berry - Southern Miss
Gary Henderson - Former UK skipper
Tony Vitello - Arkansas

Kingston will be in the mix for the Miami job when it opens after next season. Berry is in his comfort zone at Southern Miss. No to Henderson. Vitello can coach but would be somewhat of a long shot.

Chris Burke‏Verified account @ChrisBurke02 8m8 minutes ago
More
Sad that it didn't work for Coach Serrano. He always handled himself with dignity and class. Never dodged a bullet, never made an excuse

Serrano will doubtlessly go back west and be successful again.

I swore I wouldn't post something like this but don't be surprised if Matt Bragga at Tennessee Tech gets some play

From those listed, Mark Calvi makes the most sense to be next HC. Knows the SEC and success as a HC already. Great recruiter and was one of the better pitching coaches in the country while at S. Carolina. Only drawback would be if he bolted back to SC when Holbrook is ousted.

Chris Burke is polishing up the resume' and no doubt wants this job. It would be good to find someone that really understands what it takes to win in the SEC. I think have to control Tennessee in recruiting and get creative out of state, think going north.

VN Store

Back