Dave Serrano resigns

Kendall Rogers‏Verified account @KendallRogersD1 26m26 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: @Vol_Baseball HC Dave Serrano has resigned as head coach at #Tennessee, Serrano tells @d1baseball. More coming. #Vols #SEC

Reactions: 1 person
Kendall Rogers‏Verified account @KendallRogersD1 25m25 minutes ago
More
Who are potential candidates to watch at #Tennessee? Working that up now ...

Calling OT, Calling OT!

So basically instead of get fired....resign. Nice. Serrano I felt like had a lot of promise when hired, but just hasn't delivered. So, baseball and tennis.....let the house cleaning continue! Make Tennessee Great Again!

Aaron Fitt‏Verified account @aaronfitt 26m26 minutes ago
More
Aaron Fitt Retweeted Kendall Rogers
Serrano still has plenty of good coaching days ahead of him. Whoever gets that job will win quicker than you think; really good young core.

CDS will be on AM 990, FM 99.1 at 5:30 to talk about the resignation...

http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2017/05/17/dave-serrano-announces-resigns-at-tennessee/

Tennessee Head Baseball Coach Dave Serrano has notified Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics John Currie of his intention to resign at the conclusion of UT’s season.

Serrano informed the Tennessee baseball team of his decision Wednesday. He will continue to coach the team through the end of the regular season as well as any postseason tournaments for which the team may qualify. Assistant Coach Larry Simcox will then serve as interim coach during a national search for Serrano’s replacement.

“On Monday evening, John and I had what I felt was a very honest and productive conversation about the Tennessee baseball program,” Serrano said. “My decision to step aside at season’s end is based off what I believe is in the best interest of our student-athletes and this program.

“I have no regrets about taking on this challenge six years ago. It was a job I always coveted. My time living in this great community includes some of the best days of my life. My only disappointment is that we didn’t reach the expectations of success that I’ve strived to achieve for our fans, alumni and players.”

One of only 12 coaches in NCAA history to lead two programs to the College World Series, Serrano was introduced as Tennessee’s head coach on June 15, 2011, and this marks his sixth season guiding the program. In his 13 years as a head coach, he owns a 446-299-1 record. He is 157-160 at Tennessee.

“This program clearly means a great deal to Dave, and I appreciate that,” Currie said. “He steps away with plenty to be proud of. The program possesses a talented and promising young core. And the culture of academic achievement he and his staff fostered yielded positive results in terms of APR scores and graduation success rates.

“We are thankful to him for his service to the University of Tennessee, and we wish him and his family all the best moving forward.”

The most recent graduation success rate data, released in November, reflected a three-year improvement of 18 percentage points for the baseball program, from 50 percent in 2013 to a program-record 68 percent in 2016.

Under Serrano’s leadership in 2015, Tennessee baseball posted its highest team GPA in program history, at 3.12. He also was at the helm when UT baseball posted a program-record 1.000 single-year APR for 2014-15.

And just last week, Tennessee baseball recorded its highest-ever multi-year APR score with a 979. That stands as a 14-point improvement from the previous year and a 45-point improvement from three years ago, when it was at 934.

During his six seasons guiding the Vols, Serrano coached 14 Tennessee baseball players who went on to be selected in the MLB Draft, including first-round picks Nick Senzel (Cincinnati, 2016) and Christin Stewart (Detroit, 2015) as well as current Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Zack Godley.

Serrano also signed six consecutive top-20 recruiting classes from 2012 to 2017.

“I’m very proud of what we accomplished with the program internally, but I realize it ultimately comes down to wins and losses,” Serrano said. “I will always be a big Vol fan and will continue to support and cheer on this great university.”

It is the release from UTSports...

Reactions: 2 people
Nick Senzel‏Verified account @LilSenzii 39m39 minutes ago
More
Had the privilege to play under a great coach, mentor and close family friend @DaveSerranoUT wish nothing but the best for him

I'm liking AD JC more every day. If he continues cleaning house for sub par, mediocre, failing results, especially regarding men's and women's basketball, softball and football, I will be one happy alum / supporter. Keep it up John!

It's time. Don't understand why Dave couldn't make it work here but he never did. Good man and a good coach, he'll find another gig and he'll do well. Hate to see him go but I wish him all the best.

Reactions: 5 people
I respect Currie for letting CDS leave with his head held high, but this cover letter in the guise of a press release is over the top in its "put on a happy face" approach.

I think they made one mistake in proofreading this lengthy tribute to CDS's recruiting and the program's academic success, because it does include a short sentence at the end of the fifth paragraph that makes a passing reference to something that happened on a baseball field. Probably an oversight.

I respect Currie for letting CDS leave with his head held high, but this cover letter in the guise of a press release is over the top in its "put on a happy face" approach.

I think they made one mistake in proofreading this lengthy tribute to CDS's recruiting and the program's academic success, because it does include a short sentence at the end of the fifth paragraph that makes a passing reference to something that happened on a baseball field. Probably an oversight.

I'm not following you. What is the problem with this release?

It's time. Don't understand why Dave couldn't make it work here but he never did. Good man and a good coach, he'll find another gig and he'll do well. Hate to see him go but I wish him all the best.

Found it strange too, he was successful at CS Fullerton. Was happy with the hire.

A good man who wanted to win but--for various reasons (recruiting)--couldn't. Funny that we beat florida two of three in gainesville but couldn't beat anybody else. Typical craziness.

This reminds me of the Buzz Peterson firing. A genuinely good guy who just didn't win enough. Wish CDS nothing but the best.

No bashing here from me. It didn't work out, I get it, but he is a class act, and when he is in the dugout again, hopefully winning somewhere else, he will not have a bigger fan than me! So, now it is up to our hotshot AD to fix the problem, the facilities, etc, and get Tennessee out of the basement of the SEC in Baseball!!!

I'm not following you. What is the problem with this release?

The problem is that it sugar coats so much that it hides the truth that he had to go because he didn't do what coaches are paid to do--win games, contend in the conference, make or host a regional and do some damage in the postseason.

He had 6 top 20 recruiting classes in a row, had 14 drafted players including 2 first rounders, and couldn't get out of the SEC basement. Yet they publish a press release that sounds like a nomination for Coach of the Year.

It's great that the players are doing well in class but that should be ops normal, not the crowning achievement of a coach's tenure.

It's the same "focus on the positive and ignore the context" the UT sports information staff gives all the time, such as when we lose a game and the press release is about positive individual accomplishments that didn't affect the outcome. If the offense sputters, the headline will be how well Hunter Martin threw. If the pitching collapsed, they'll write about Moberg and Rodgers' hitting. Never tell the story of the game when we lose.

It gets old.

Need to hire Alan Cockrell, former Vol QB/Baseball player, coach with Rockies and Current Yankees hitting coach. He's probably more than ready to jettison out of the Big Apple for friendlier confines!

He can get the Vols hitting again to go with promising young pitchers.

I met the guy when he was coaching the Colorado Springs Sky Sox at the Pueblo Zoo of all places...in the Spring of 1998 where we talked about the Vols and that turned out to be a magical season!

Just Hire the Dude!!!

The problem is that it sugar coats so much that it hides the truth that he had to go because he didn't do what coaches are paid to do--win games, contend in the conference, make or host a regional and do some damage in the postseason.

He had 6 top 20 recruiting classes in a row, had 14 drafted players including 2 first rounders, and couldn't get out of the SEC basement. Yet they publish a press release that sounds like a nomination for Coach of the Year.

It's great that the players are doing well in class but that should be ops normal, not the crowning achievement of a coach's tenure.

It's the same "focus on the positive and ignore the context" the UT sports information staff gives all the time, such as when we lose a game and the press release is about positive individual accomplishments that didn't affect the outcome. If the offense sputters, the headline will be how well Hunter Martin threw. If the pitching collapsed, they'll write about Moberg and Rodgers' hitting. Never tell the story of the game when we lose.

It gets old.

I see and I understand...to me the absolute worst are the post game interview questions. Every now and again there is a situation that deserves to be asked about, whether he actually answers or not. For instance, last night...Where has Benito Santiago been?

I hate it...because I watch Tim Corbin, Chad Holbrook, Paul Mainieri, etc...

But this is the stone cold truth...there are not enough people that care about Tennessee Baseball and that allows them to get off the hook. Not just the coach, but even Wilkerson and whatever student reporter, SID they wheel out there to do their two minute BS.

However, all that said...there was this from the UT Release...

...but I realize it ultimately comes down to wins and losses,” Serrano said.

He said the same today on the radio, he knows the deal and it's all on him. He's never shied away from it that I've heard. In fact Hyams gave him a couple of chances to take a swing or a shot at the shortcomings of the job we all talk about and he just would not take the bait.

The people that spin the stuff over there, that's there job. I agree it could be little more genuine, but it's their job to keep a positive spin. I'm with you that it seems fake as all get out, so I just don't read that stuff much...the post games are unbearable enough.

PS. The summer coverage is actually worse, it's a retweet or straight up stats, even TEAM USA...they literally don't watch any games...because they don't care.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back