SEC Tourney Talk

vols12345

So, as it stands (and we all surely realize)...the Vols probably aren't headed to Hoover.

The bottom 3 teams in the SEC are:

Georgia (9-18)
Tennessee (7-18)
Alabama (5-22)

Georgia won 2/3 games against us, which means that even if we are tied in wins & losses after next weekend, they beat us out for the last tourney spot.

That being said...our only path to Hoover is as follows...

Vols Sweep Mizzou this weekend AND Georgia loses 2 out of 3 to SC.

That would put Tennessee at 10-18 and Georgia at 10-20, securing the Vols's spot at Hoover. Any other outcome, and our season is over.

Thoughts? If CDS is fired, when do you think an announcement would be made?

Reactions: 1 person
So, as it stands (and we all surely realize)...the Vols probably aren't headed to Hoover.

Georgia (9-18)
Tennessee (7-18)
Alabama (5-22)

Georgia won 2/3 games against us, which means that even if we are tied in wins & losses after next weekend, they beat us out for the last tourney spot.

That would put Tennessee at 10-18 and Georgia at 10-20, securing the Vols's spot at Hoover. Any other outcome, and our season is over.

UT can also win 2, with UGA getting swept and get in. It won't happen, but that would work too.
UT- (9-19)
UGA- (9-21)

I actually think they need to get rid of conference baseball tournaments.

Most of the teams' main concern is making sure their pitching staff is set up for when regional play starts.

They aren't really trying to win

Reactions: 2 people

Most of the teams' main concern is making sure their pitching staff is set up for when regional play starts.

I agree especially in the major conferences. If they want to keep the revenue stream - send the best 8 teams down there and play single elimination so you don't play 5 games and wear out your arms in 95 degree heat.

You must never attended the tournament in Hoover. The competition & atmosphere is incredible, & your suggestion that teams aren't trying is ludicrous.:crazy:

You must never attended the tournament in Hoover. The competition & atmosphere is incredible, & your suggestion that teams aren't trying is ludicrous.:crazy:

The lower end teams are trying as they are trying to secure a spot. But the teams in the top half are usually not. They usually start throwing their top guys on Thursday or Friday if they make it that far.

Reactions: 3 people

I am sorry you disagree, but priority #1 is to get out of Hoover with your staff ready to go for the regional.

The #1 priority is not to win the tournament.

You see pitchers get innings they never would otherwise and you see coaches hook a guy or leave a guy in under circumstances they never ordinarily would.

One of the reasons Florida has done well in recent years is because they had ridiculous pitching depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I hope they let him go 5 min after last game!

Georgia (9-18)
Tennessee (7-18)
Alabama (5-22)

so...there is still a chance...so, heck yeah... (knew it already)...just playing...:)

PS. from what I've seen in the past six years...trust me...anything is possible...we've been sneaking in for a while...:)

GBO!

so...there is still a chance...so, heck yeah... (knew it already)...just playing...:)

PS. from what I've seen in the past six years...trust me...anything is possible...we've been sneaking in for a while...:)

GBO!

Well, excepting winning an SECT game....

I'd be surprised if we made it.

If they are going to move on from Serrano, they just need to do it sooner rather than later.

Looking in the Knoxville News Sentinel this morning, I was surprised to see that none of the games against Missouri are being televised with UT still having a chance to make the SEC Tournament field.

Looking in the Knoxville News Sentinel this morning, I was surprised to see that none of the games against Missouri are being televised with UT still having a chance to make the SEC Tournament field.

Yep. It is the only SEC series not being televised or streaming next weekend, and on top of that UT is the only home SEC team not streaming their midweek game. Ole Miss's game isn't being streamed but they are at Arkansas St.

As I said in the other thread, beyond pathetic.

“Every game’s televised. My parents can still watch me. It’s a great atmosphere and, really, the fans, I feel like, are unlike anything else, and that’s always something I’ve wanted to be a part of. I wanted to be a part of the best college football has to offer, and I really feel like the combination of what Tennessee has is able to offer me that.”

~ Adrian Martinez, QB - speaking on reasons he chose Tennessee.

Didn't we invest in the greatest ever SEC Network on-campus production studio, etc.? Someone should be calling the AD's bluff on this crap.

Georgia (9-18)
Tennessee (7-18)
Alabama (5-22)

Georgia's magic number and our tragic number is any combination of Georgia wins and Tennessee losses equaling 2.

I am sorry you disagree, but priority #1 is to get out of Hoover with your staff ready to go for the regional.

The #1 priority is not to win the tournament.

You see pitchers get innings they never would otherwise and you see coaches hook a guy or leave a guy in under circumstances they never ordinarily would.

One of the reasons Florida has done well in recent years is because they had ridiculous pitching depth.

But to say that teams don't try in the tournament? Your gators always put on great efforts, despite having one of the weakest fan supports. I will be in Hoover for the entire week (again) & look forward to seeing the best college baseball in America!

Georgia (9-18)
Tennessee (7-18)
Alabama (5-22)

So you're saying there's a chance?

But to say that teams don't try in the tournament? Your gators always put on great efforts, despite having one of the weakest fan supports. I will be in Hoover for the entire week (again) & look forward to seeing the best college baseball in America!

It's as much mental as it is physical. Some of it is on a sub-conscious level.

If you want an example....Logan Shore was Florida's #1 starter last year. He did not pitch in the SEC tournament until the championship game.

He pitched 1 inning.

The guy who pitched the semifinal. Scott Moss. Moss pitched 17 innings the entire season before his start in that game.

They lost game 1 with AJ Puk. They went with Brady Singer in game 2. The reason they did that. You lose, you go home, and Alex Faedo and Logan Shore never took the mound.

Again, no one who is competing is trying to lose. But, the team knows what's going on. They know who'd be taking the mound if it mattered. And that filters down to everyone.

But, again, why did Florida advance? Puk is a 1st round pick. Singer will probably be a 1st round pick. Faedo will probably be a first round pick. Scott Moss (who barely played) was a 4th round draft pick. Dane Dunning was a 1st round draft pick. Logan Shore was a second round draft pick. Jackson Kowar will be drafted in a high round and he wasn't even available.

So, Florida had the luxury of tossing out a "scrub", 4th round draft pick, lefthander who throws in the 90's in a semifinal game.

It's as much mental as it is physical. Some of it is on a sub-conscious level.

If you want an example....Logan Shore was Florida's #1 starter last year. He did not pitch in the SEC tournament until the championship game.

He pitched 1 inning.

The guy who pitched the semifinal. Scott Moss. Moss pitched 17 innings the entire season before his start in that game.

They lost game 1 with AJ Puk. They went with Brady Singer in game 2. The reason they did that. You lose, you go home, and Alex Faedo and Logan Shore never took the mound.

Again, no one who is competing is trying to lose. But, the team knows what's going on. They know who'd be taking the mound if it mattered. And that filters down to everyone.

But, again, why did Florida advance? Puk is a 1st round pick. Singer will probably be a 1st round pick. Faedo will probably be a first round pick. Scott Moss (who barely played) was a 4th round draft pick. Dane Dunning was a 1st round draft pick. Logan Shore was a second round draft pick. Jackson Kowar will be drafted in a high round and he wasn't even available.

So, Florida had the luxury of tossing out a "scrub", 4th round draft pick, lefthander who throws in the 90's in a semifinal game.

No argument that FL pitching is deep & quality. Old LSU coach would hold back his #1, too...but team always played hard. So do Gators. That's why the tournament is so well-attended & to lose it would be a blow to the entire conference. I'll be there all next week.

No argument that FL pitching is deep & quality. Old LSU coach would hold back his #1, too...but team always played hard. So do Gators. That's why the tournament is so well-attended & to lose it would be a blow to the entire conference. I'll be there all next week.

If you have never been, you need to go at least once. I would recommend going for the first two days so you can see every team (and their fans) in the SEC.

Unlike any other gathering of SEC fans, you hear very little, if any trash talk and everyone is respectful of the other teams and their fans. A great family atmosphere but also very enjoyable for real baseball fans.

VN Store

Back