Nice article by Wes Rucker @ 24/7 about Dave

and his future. Hits the nail squarely, imo.

Pretty much what everyone here has been saying for some time.

I was about to type the same thing after reading the article....Currie can fire and hire whoever he wants but very little would change IMO unless priorities change at the top of the athletic department.

Reactions: 3 people
I thought the article had too much "woe is me" hand wringing about facilities and tried a little too hard to distance Serrano from accountability for his team's performance over the past six years.

I would like to see someone acknowledge a) that his CWS appearances might have blinded people to the advantages he had at CSF (reasonable tuition, accommodating admissions standards, and tons of SoCal talent that wants to stay home, playing in a non-power five conference against schools without his recruiting opportunities, perennial contender, long chain of successful coaches, enthusiastic fan base, being the premiere sport at a non-football school) and b) that CDS was hired to do something here he had never done before: namely, manage the turnaround of a cellar dweller in the toughest conference in the country.

Reactions: 5 people
Sure hope the BaseVols make a run that is good enough to save Serrano and his coaching Staff's jobs.

Reactions: 2 people
I believe Dave could be successful if he is given a chance. If I am Currie, I ask Dave what he needs next year to win. Take a look around at the SEC. Are we even trying right now to stay on par? No! Serrano is a proven guy, what is the issue? I believe it is more a support/ infrastructure issue than a coaching issue.

Reactions: 5 people
I believe Dave could be successful if he is given a chance. If I am Currie, I ask Dave what he needs next year to win. Take a look around at the SEC. Are we even trying right now to stay on par? No! Serrano is a proven guy, what is the issue? I believe it is more a support/ infrastructure issue than a coaching issue.

Given a chance? What do you call 6 years?

and his future. Hits the nail squarely, imo.

yk6z2.jpg

It details the problems and challenges but it doesn't answer questions like how in the heck is Kentucky winning in baseball with crappy facilities and crappy weather and UT can't?

I'll answer for you. Coaching and evaluating talent.

Reactions: 2 people

Proven guy? What he's proven is he can't raise UT out of the group scrambling for the last spot in the conference tournament.

There are lots of coaches who could lead us to 12th place finishes for much less than the $300K CDS earns. Most D1 coaches in the country make much less than half of that.

Every school has built in advantages and disadvantages. Coaches are paid to deliver the coaching, organization, recruiting skill, and leadership to overcome whatever institutional handicaps exist.

You can't hire a top name guy, pay him a big salary to turn the program around, watch him not succeed for six years and just say, "That's okay. It's not you. It's us. Tell us what you need to succeed, and you just keep drawing that pay until we fix everything for you."

Reactions: 1 person
It details the problems and challenges but it doesn't answer questions like how in the heck is Kentucky winning in baseball with crappy facilities and crappy weather and UT can't?

Let's not act like Kentucky is a traditional program. History shows their success is inconsistent.

Let's not act like Kentucky is a traditional program. History shows their success is inconsistent.

Certainly they aren't a traditional program but they do make the NCAAT on occasion and challenge in the East every 4 or 5 years.

We are working on year #13 without an NCAA tournament appearance OR finishing better than 4th (1 time) in our own division. Every other season has been 5th, 6th, or 7th in the East.

Kentucky has produced much better success in the last 15 years with equal or worse resources just because they've hired competent coaches. As a side note, I hate the "traditional programs" argument in college baseball. The landscape of college baseball has changed so much in the last 20 years now that more schools actually care about it. There are still what I consider the "bluebloods" of college baseball - LSU, FSU, Texas, UCLA, etc. - but more and more programs have positioned themselves to win titles (South Carolina, TCU, North Carolina, Vandy, Virginia, etc).

Who is out there that we would target to replace him?

The first person that says Phil Garner or Chris Burke should be banned from VN for life!!:machgun:

I can easily subtract 10 points if they are playing Pick'em.....Rules are subject to change!

FWIW, I'm in no implying that CB should be our next head coach however I do believe he will be a head coach somewhere one day..... I don't know what I don't know however I do know what I do know and I do know that I don't know.

Last edited:
Who is out there that we would target to replace him?

There lies the issue. There are no home run hires, you are taking a crap shoot on a "potential" great coach..... Is that worth the chance knowing what you have and where you might (and I said might) be heading? Honestly, I don't know.

-

Last edited:

One year of success doesn't prove much.

Agreed, but clearly Dave is clearly not working out. You'd expect to see some progress after year 6. Has he shown anything that would make us believe things will get better? I was very excited when he was hired, but to date has been a massive disappointment. Would an up and comer do any worse?

It sure doesn't. They have made the NCAA tournament 3 times about to be 4 since we made it last.

Fair enough but we're not much of a comparison in modeling for success. I don't think many would be happy with mirroring their last 20 years.

VN Store

Back