John Adams: Serrano should be next

I had high hopes for Serrano when UT hired him. If he is fired I hope they find a quality replacement.

Remember some didn't want to hire him because he didn't have a college degree. Lol. We should've listened to them

so he joined a long line of people who have said that, maybe currie can find a coach

It's amazing the guy had Cal-State Fullerton at an elite level every year but didn't do squat here at UT. :mega_shok:

Reactions: 1 person
Don't have to fire him. His contract expires at the end of the season. Currie can simply not renew it.

Reactions: 2 people
I was leaning toward replacing him until Adams wrote this column. Now, I say keep him.

:eek:lol:...always gotta be different, huh...:)...but, seriously, I doubt AD Currie will keep Coach Serrano...he's already started putting his thumb print on UT (see UT tennis)...wouldn't doubt he's already checking around...he likes hiring and firing...:whistling:...:yes:

GO BIG ORANGE!

What are the reasons why Serrano hasn't succeeded at UT?

Did Raleigh leave it that bad where it took 6 years to overcome? Did he inherit facilities that were below competing SEC schools (this has been suggested by a couple of summer ball coaches), injuries, bad luck, recruiting?

Some of the wealthiest people in this country didn't get a college degree. :question:

True, but wouldn't it be a bit hypocritical for the state's flagship institute of higher learning to have someone leading a major program that doesn't at least have an undergraduate degree?

Reactions: 4 people
I like Adams, but he is always trying to get people fired.

I don't like Adams, except for that one article a year where he actually has a coherent thought/article with substance, without the basis of trying to get someone fired.

....did Raleigh leave it that bad where it took 6 years to overcome? Did he inherit facilities that were below competing SEC schools (this has been suggested by a couple of summer ball coaches), injuries, bad luck, recruiting?

yes and more to it, especially from an Athletic Department standpoint.........there is no single reason, just a combination of everything.

It's hard to quantify since we assume Serrano didn't forget how to coach or recruit.

Too many variables and possibilities to nail it down.

An interesting point that rarely gets discussed about Serrano is that he didn't have the reputation as a "program builder" before he came here. He inherited a GREAT situation and Cal St. Fullerton and just kept a good thing going. At UC Irvine, he took over a team that had been to a Regional and already experienced success.

For the Vols, he has been asked to build a program that was in the dumps. It was his first experience with this and he has struggled mightily. While he may be a great coach, he hasn't show to be a good builder of a program and that's what we need right now.

What are the reasons why Serrano hasn't succeeded at UT?

Did Raleigh leave it that bad where it took 6 years to overcome? Did he inherit facilities that were below competing SEC schools (this has been suggested by a couple of summer ball coaches), injuries, bad luck, recruiting?

Some of these things may be legit reasons for why Tennessee isn't a baseball powerhouse.

However, they are not legit reasons to be finishing 12th in the SEC standings every season.

What is in place at Tennessee, IMO, is good enough to go to a regional periodically.

It's one thing to point to some issues and use it as a reason for why Tennessee can't make it to Omaha or win the league or something of that sort, but that's not what we are talking about here.

The bar is low and there is no reason to fall short of that low of a bar

Coastal Carolina won the championship. It is possible for TN to do the same thing one day. As far as facilities we are in the bottom part of the SEC. I have seen them all and I would rank us ahead of MO, UK, FL and GA. KY getting ready to pass us up once their new stadium is built. Recruiting...we have some excellent players in the freshmen class but we have let a LOT of really good TN players get away from us over the past few years. I believe you can win with players from this region with the base being from TN. I have listed a bunch of TN players on other posts that have excelled at programs in the SEC and ACC that we have missed out on. I know our recruiting coordinator is highly thought of but I don't see it. I know a current Friday night starting pitcher that was not offered until after he committed to another SEC school. Actually wasn't even recruited until then. Will be a first rounder pretty soon. I would keep CDS and Simcox. Aric Thomas would have to go and I would replace him with a PITCHING COACH / recruiter. CDS cannot be HC and pitching coach successfully.

Coastal Carolina won the championship. It is possible for TN to do the same thing one day. As far as facilities we are in the bottom part of the SEC. I have seen them all and I would rank us ahead of MO, UK, FL and GA. KY getting ready to pass us up once their new stadium is built. Recruiting...we have some excellent players in the freshmen class but we have let a LOT of really good TN players get away from us over the past few years. I believe you can win with players from this region with the base being from TN. I have listed a bunch of TN players on other posts that have excelled at programs in the SEC and ACC that we have missed out on. I know our recruiting coordinator is highly thought of but I don't see it. I know a current Friday night starting pitcher that was not offered until after he committed to another SEC school. Actually wasn't even recruited until then. Will be a first rounder pretty soon. I would keep CDS and Simcox. Aric Thomas would have to go and I would replace him with a PITCHING COACH / recruiter. CDS cannot be HC and pitching coach successfully.

Might want to check your calendar before using will Crowe as an example of why you don't like Thomas. He wasn't even at Tennesse during that time. That was the fool Bergeron.

Might want to check your calendar before using will Crowe as an example of why you don't like Thomas. He wasn't even at Tennesse during that time. That was the fool Bergeron.

No. Actually, Wil Crowe's recruitment is one of the main reasons that Bill Mosiello is no longer with the program.

VN Store

Back