Arkansas series

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
I think this is the most important series of CDS's UT career.

Arkansas is a top to middle team in the SEC
Game at home and this is ime of year that CDS's team are playing their best.

The Vols, I believe are currently the last team in the SEC Tourney now. They can get to 11th but any higher may be a bit of a reach.

To prove how serious the series is, I will likely not attend any games. (I'm an apparent jynx this spring)

I believe a series win likely keeps him on payroll. A series loss-especially a sweep likely spells his doom

As per prior comments here that the UTAD needs to make a big time hire. CDS was a big time hire. He was paid far more than Raleigh. Had taken 2 programs to Omaha. Had coached at a perennial power and built a program. The CDS hire proved UT was taking baseball more seriously, and UT has improved facilities which is saying something due to the financial problems the department was having likely limited what they could do.

I recall before the hire, I said UT could spend more on a coach like CDS as making a splash hire in baseball is far less expensive that basketball or football. And to their credit, the school pulled the trigger and made the hire. Even relaxing degree requirements that appear on nearly every other coaching position.

It just has not worked thus far.

I accepted what I thought was a "dream job" several years ago and it turned out to be a TERRIBLE fit. I'm doing much better in another job.

Sometimes it happens. I think Dave would again do well as a HC at another school- most likely on West Coast.

I think and hope that the Vols will go 6-3 in these last three series. They are 6-4 in last 10.

Reactions: 4 people
Of Missouri, Georgia and Tennessee battling it out for the last 2 spots in tourney

Georgia has the toughest schedule remaining and are already 1 spot out.
@Kentucky, Miss State, @ South Carolina

Missouri is not much easier
@Vanderbilt, South Carolina, @Tennessee

Tennessee
Arkansas, @Kentucky, Missouri

appears to be easies BUT for the 33rd straight season, that last weekend could possibly decide Tennessee's appearance in Hoover

BTW, last place Alabama will stay there
@Auburn, Florida, @Vanderbilt

They may set the SEC loss record. They are sitting at 2-19 now and have not won a conference game since April Fools Day (at home against Arkansas) They did win a game against South Carolina. Something the Vols couldn't do.

Reactions: 5 people
Of Missouri, Georgia and Tennessee battling it out for the last 2 spots in tourney

Georgia has the toughest schedule remaining and are already 1 spot out.
@Kentucky, Miss State, @ South Carolina

Missouri is not much easier
@Vanderbilt, South Carolina, @Tennessee

Tennessee
Arkansas, @Kentucky, Missouri

appears to be easies BUT for the 33rd straight season, that last weekend could possibly decide Tennessee's appearance in Hoover

BTW, last place Alabama will stay there
@Auburn, Florida, @Vanderbilt

They may set the SEC loss record. They are sitting at 2-19 now and have not won a conference game since April Fools Day (at home against Arkansas) They did win a game against South Carolina. Something the Vols couldn't do.

:hi:THIS! Got my tickets to Hoover & believe that the VOLs will be there!

The only thing....which has been kicked around all year ad nauseum.....is going to Hoover enough in year 6?

And is there any reason to believe an NCAA regional berth is coming any time soon?

Reactions: 1 person
The only thing....which has been kicked around all year ad nauseum.....is going to Hoover enough in year 6?

And is there any reason to believe an NCAA regional berth is coming any time soon?

99, we are setting the bar much higher this year!! Getting to the 2nd day of the SEC Tournament!!

I posed that question a couple of weeks ago, imo if they go to Hoover and go 1 and done he is gone but if they make some kind of run in Hoover I think he gets an extension, I'm thinking make it to the double elimination part of the bracket

I think UT needs to win at least 2 or 3 games in Hoover for CDS to get an extension and if he does land an extension, I think it needs to be at least a 4 year contract for recruiting purposes.

Reactions: 2 people
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if the local weather radar and forecast is correct we won't be playing baseball in Knoxville Thursday night after all. Forecast says the storms will begin about 7:00 and continue most of the night. :hmm:

I posed that question a couple of weeks ago, imo if they go to Hoover and go 1 and done he is gone but if they make some kind of run in Hoover I think he gets an extension, I'm thinking make it to the double elimination part of the bracket

If you are basing the decision on the outcome of one single game that is very faulty logic. This isn't football.

Reactions: 2 people
If you are basing the decision on the outcome of one single game that is very faulty logic. This isn't football.

100% agree. We have a 6 year body of work to judge Serrano by. Even if we want to toss out the first couple of seasons as Raleigh destroying the roster, we have 4 years of bad results.

100% agree. We have a 6 year body of work to judge Serrano by. Even if we want to toss out the first couple of seasons as Raleigh destroying the roster, we have 4 years of bad results.

And if you believe those bad years are going to continue you don't let a few days at Hoover change that and vice versa

Bruin, makes a good point. If you are judging Serrano solely on how the team has performed over his 6 years here, winning 3 or 4 games in Hoover shouldn't change that opinion. However, I do believe the future is brighter than it has been in 10 years with the roster that SHOULD return next year. With 4 freshmen playing a large role as position players and all of the returning pitching, including the freshmen weekend guys, an argument could be made to extend the contract.

On the flip side, there are several other factors including at least one unknown matter that would bother several on this board, the body of work, the discipline problems, the overall record (especially in SEC play), .......

Bruin, makes a good point. If you are judging Serrano solely on how the team has performed over his 6 years here, winning 3 or 4 games in Hoover shouldn't change that opinion. However, I do believe the future is brighter than it has been in 10 years with the roster that SHOULD return next year. With 4 freshmen playing a large role as position players and all of the returning pitching, including the freshmen weekend guys, an argument could be made to extend the contract.

On the flip side, there are several other factors including at least one unknown matter that would bother several on this board, the body of work, the discipline problems, the overall record (especially in SEC play), .......

To those of us who follow this program, one can certainly see that there is some encouraging signs for the future. Adjustments in recruiting and coaching have been made. A casual, even somewhat knowledgeable, observer of college baseball would look at a possible contract extension and conclude that if it happens then UT really is apathetic to baseball. Considering the body of work, in today's landscape, it would almost be unprecedented in college sports.

Should be a very interesting decision. I hope the Vols play the next few weeks will warrant an extension.

I don't believe that today's firing of Sam Winterbotham bodes well for a potential retention of Dave Serrano. John Currie proved that he isn't going to be gun shy when it comes to making needed moves.

Last edited:

no and no...and,

GO BIG ORANGE!

Next year is shaping up as a rebuilding year. Look at this year's stats. Cross out the players who won't be back (your guess on the suspended players), and see how many innings and how much offense is returning. Unless there's a major raid on JUCO's this summer, it will be a very young team.

Hunter Martin has Been the main reason our pitching has been excellent the past month. We absolutely can't start this game with the radar looking like this. We can't burn him with only 1-2 innings.

Hunter Martin has Been the main reason our pitching has been excellent the past month. We absolutely can't start this game with the radar looking like this. We can't burn him with only 1-2 innings.

I believe CDS once used a reliever instead of the scheduled starter in a similar weather situation and looked like a genius when we had our starter fresh after the rain delay while the opposing team went deep into their bullpen. Don't remember the year or the opponent, but I think he has finessed this kind of situation before.

I don't believe that today's firing of Sam Winterbotham bodes well for a potential retention of Dave Serrano. John Currie proved that he isn't going to be gun shy when it comes making needed moves.

Had the EXACT same thoughts when the news broke Thursday afternoon.

I have to believe there was some other things going on in tennis that we do not know about. Sam won SEC titles and even made deep runs into NCAA tourney (finals appearance) and the last few years was the victim of injuries, deaths and early leaving.

I wonder if Woodruff gets the job or they might combine the women's and men's program under a single coach. That would not be as easy to do as in track.

If it was about on the court performance then Currie just fired a shot over the bow of quite a few coaches.

Had the EXACT same thoughts when the news broke Thursday afternoon.

I have to believe there was some other things going on in tennis that we do not know about. Sam won SEC titles and even made deep runs into NCAA tourney (finals appearance) and the last few years was the victim of injuries, deaths and early leaving.

I wonder if Woodruff gets the job or they might combine the women's and men's program under a single coach. That would not be as easy to do as in track.

If it was about on the court performance then Currie just fired a shot over the bow of quite a few coaches.

I fine politician once told me that the general news media and public only hear about 25% of the truth and facts.....

I fine politician once told me that the general news media and public only hear about 25% of the truth and facts.....

I agree. Word was the tennis coach was VERY difficult to work with and wasn't very popular among the Ath. dept.
A couple of bad years gave them a good opp to pull the plug on him.

I agree. Word was the tennis coach was VERY difficult to work with and wasn't very popular among the Ath. dept.
A couple of bad years gave them a good opp to pull the plug on him.

And, we sure know how that approach to changing coaches has worked so well for the UT Athletic Dept. (See Fulmer & Delmonico.:)

Game Suspended.

We will pick up Game 1 tomorrow and then play 1 seven inning game after.

VN Store

Back