Next year - new coach or not

TNSportsman

We have some major gaps to fill. I know some on here think we are right on the cusp of breaking through with this roster and coaching staff, but I struggle to see it when I look at the pieces leaving from this team.

Our best (& most consistent) two hitters - Moberg and Rodgers are gone.

Pitchers:
Martin
Lipinski
Warren (I assume he heads to the draft)

I really like some of the young guys but losing those 3 arms is going to be hard to overcome.

We gave him a good amount of time. He just for some reason has not worked out. Currie needs a good hire here.

Finish 6-6 in sec play and they must stay

6-6 down the home stretch would bring us to 10-20.

That's a step backward, especially if 2 or 3 of the wins come against fast-fading Mizzou on the last weekend.

Six years without sniffing a regional.

Has any coach ever had so many high draft choices and future MLB players with so little to show for it?

I think the book is already written.

Reactions: 1 person
6-6 down the home stretch would bring us to 10-20.

That's a step backward, especially if 2 or 3 of the wins come against fast-fading Mizzou on the last weekend.

Six years without sniffing a regional.

Has any coach ever had so many high draft choices and future MLB players with so little to show for it?

I think the book is already written.

6-6 would be a 2 game improvement over last year with a younger roster.

It also would show a decent run at the end of the year where the Vols would have finished 11-13. Not bad at all IMO.

Overall record would be better as well.

Last edited:
6-6 would be a 2 game improvement over last year with a younger roster.

It also would show a decent run at the end of the year where the Vols would have finished 11-13. Not bad at all IMO.

Overall record would be better as well.

Well, yes, technically, it would be better than last year, but only because last year was a step backward from the two previous years.

Seriously, what reason does anyone have to believe we're about to turn the corner? When CDS arrived, we overlooked much because he inherited an "empty cupboard."

He has had ample time to stock the cupboard with his own recruits, who have now graduated and been replaced with more of his own recruits.

Each year is still a scramble for 12th place and a one-and-done trip to Hoover.

You're okay with that as the status quo?

Be honest with me here, because I'm not going to act like I follow college baseball with a microscope, I don't. I was thrilled with the CDS hire and truly thought this guy would get it done. Now I hear people saying we need to can him and make a big time hire. I get it, I really do. But with that said, is it possible to make a better hire than CDS?? Give me some names and maybe a little background because I honestly don't know. I thought CDS was going to be the saviour of Volunteer baseball. Is it possible that just maybe this is as good as it gets for Tennessee baseball(playing in an extremely tough league) and we should hang on to what we've got until LSU or FSU or the Braves come calling with a buyout? I think this guy has too good of a reputation around baseball period, to not land a pretty good job after Tennessee. Again, I'm genuinely asking and just putting my worthless opinion out there.

Reactions: 5 people
Well, yes, technically, it would be better than last year, but only because last year was a step backward from the two previous years.

Seriously, what reason does anyone have to believe we're about to turn the corner? When CDS arrived, we overlooked much because he inherited an "empty cupboard."

He has had ample time to stock the cupboard with his own recruits, who have now graduated and been replaced with more of his own recruits.

Each year is still a scramble for 12th place and a one-and-done trip to Hoover.

You're okay with that as the status quo?

No I am not ok but I see a roster that is finally on the verge of being SEC ready. We did finally have a few arms they can win in the SEC and even though I have some doubts about the offense there are four freshmen hitters doing really well. I just think if blowing it up is to be done it should have been done last year. A year later it appears to be a core group of real sec players is in place

Reactions: 2 people
No I am not ok but I see a roster that is finally on the verge of being SEC ready. We did finally have a few arms they can win in the SEC and even though I have some doubts about the offense there are four freshmen hitters doing really well. I just think if blowing it up is to be done it should have been done last year. A year later it appears to be a core group of real sec players is in place

Do you share my concerns about the pitching next year? I'm not sure Stallings and Neely are ready to shoulder the weekend load in SEC play.

Do you share my concerns about the pitching next year? I'm not sure Stallings and Neely are ready to shoulder the weekend load in SEC play.

Will has looked a lot better as of late, Lingo has been nasty, and Stallings will be fine. Pitching won't be our problem next year, it'll be replacing Rodgers and Moberg at the plate. We have ammo and alip as solid hitters, but can we build a lineup around that capable of producing in the SEC. Derkay seems to be seeing the ball better, but we need some hitters to step up in a big way next year.

SEC-ready? I don't see it.

My concept of SEC-ready involves intense competition for every spot in the lineup, every spot in the rotation, and every meaningful relief role.

It means having more people on the bench ready and able to contribute than there are game situations to put them into.

It means having a stable of young arms getting conference experience in set up roles and match-up and help situations--being groomed for bigger things next year.

We're not even close.

SEC-ready teams are all hand on deck for the weekend. We extend our weekend starters out of necessity to avoid exposing our bullpen, and we try to use as few relievers as possible each weekend except in games that are already out of hand.

How many pitchers do we have who don't put a knot in your stomach when they come in? How many of those will be back and ready to assume larger roles next year? If the answer to your second question is less than six, you don't have an SEC-ready pitching staff.

Offense, as you note, is even weaker. Depending on what happens with the suspended players, we might return only 6 or 8 HR, and only 5 or 6 hitters with 50 AB, all but one of them underclassmen.

We're going to be young again on offense. SEC-ready teams are young because their freshmen are such studs that they win spots. We're young because we have holes to fill and no one groomed to fill them.

I don't see a reason to believe next year will be any better. We're six years into the Serrano era, and this is what we get: just enough good players to give hope, not enough to compete in the SEC. I'm not sure what it is you think we'd be blowing up if we change coaches.

Reactions: 3 people
Hearing some coaches think they will be back next year. Some thoughts are that Currie may not make any changes on such a short time on the job. This will be interesting to follow.

UTAD has to either give an extension or fire them. Recruiting is definitely hamstrung under current set up.

If they give them a one year deal, I am going to be furious. Either say we are going to live with crappy results for 3+ years in hopes of a turnaround or fire them.

I like CDS and I'm considered a pumper but I think we have to make a change even if we make the SEC tourney...now are we willing to invest the money to hire a proven coach in a non-revenue sport?

...now are we willing to invest the money to hire a proven coach in a non-revenue sport?

if we go that route there will be no "proven coaches"......it will be a top assistant with "potential" as a great coach or a coach from another conference which isn't "SEC proven". Its going to be a crap shoot in which ever direction we go. IMO

Reactions: 2 people
if we go that route there will be no "proven coaches"......it will be a top assistant with "potential" as a great coach or a coach from another conference which isn't "SEC proven". Its going to be a crap shoot in which ever direction we go. IMO

Also, if we make a change in coaches we better be prepared to make some changes in facilities and AD support for baseball. Just firing Dave, by itself, won't fix this , imo.

Also, if we make a change in coaches we better be prepared to make some changes in facilities and AD support for baseball. Just firing Dave, by itself, won't fix this , imo.

Thought you had left the building. :crazy:

I agree...hopefully the new coach (if changed) would insist
on a commitment to baseball.

UT needs to make it to Hoover and win a couple of games there for CDS to get an extension in my opinion.

I disagree somewhat that we are not competing in the SEC. There are very few games where we are not in a position to win. We have several 1-run losses I believe. We are a few clutch two-out hits away from having a respectable conference record. Not making excuses, just an observation. I think it would be a different story if we were losing most of our games handily, but we're not.

I'm also not convinced that baseball is one of the things at the top of the AD's list right now. Could be wrong. But the program is graduating its players, I saw where they have the highest GPA for a male team sport at UT, and there doesn't seem to be a slew of off field controversy with the players. Plus, the players fight and play hard for him. They don't give up and they haven't quit. So it will depend on the AD's priorities.

I disagree somewhat that we are not competing in the SEC. There are very few games where we are not in a position to win. We have several 1-run losses I believe. We are a few clutch two-out hits away from having a respectable conference record. Not making excuses, just an observation. I think it would be a different story if we were losing most of our games handily, but we're not.

I'm also not convinced that baseball is one of the things at the top of the AD's list right now. Could be wrong. But the program is graduating its players, I saw where they have the highest GPA for a male team sport at UT, and there doesn't seem to be a slew of off field controversy with the players. Plus, the players fight and play hard for him. They don't give up and they haven't quit. So it will depend on the AD's priorities.

I agree. This team has been very competitive. When teams play us they don't view us as the same as Georgia or Bama IMO.

I agree. This team has been very competitive. When teams play us they don't view us as the same as Georgia or Bama IMO.

Agree as well. Provided they can keep their head above water this weekend they have a chance to make a statement next weekend vs Arkansas. The SEC is great as usual this season but there are no elite clubs at this point. From what I have observed the Vols tend to play tighter at home and are more comfortable as an underdog. That needs to change.

VN Store

Back