Just like with Holly, it's time to turn the page with

UTandUNC

Serrano. He absolutely hasn't gotten it done. We're on track to finish next to last or last in the east in every year of his coaching stint. Time to make a change.....

Reactions: 2 people
Was just thinking the same thing. Both had their chances, didn't work out. Move on.

Listen to post game interviews and you'll hear cliches like we've heard from other coaches. I'm over him. Good coach but has no answers in the SEC once again.

I like Serrano. I think he's a good coach, but for whatever reason he hasn't been able to get it done. Is it his coaching philosophy, talent level, or just a perfect storm of a lot of things? If he can't win at UT, who can? Is the commitment of the UT administration towards baseball to blame? I don't know the answers to these questions, but standing pat and not making a change if things keep going downhill after this season shows total apathy on UT's part.

I like Serrano. I think he's a good coach, but for whatever reason he hasn't been able to get it done. Is it his coaching philosophy, talent level, or just a perfect storm of a lot of things? If he can't win at UT, who can? Is the commitment of the UT administration towards baseball to blame? I don't know the answers to these questions, but standing pat and not making a change if things keep going downhill after this season shows total apathy on UT's part.

Let's please DON'T fire another coach and further degrade the program's perceived stability until we have real answers to those questions. Is administrative commitment the problem? Is it a budget issue? How do our facilities compare today with our competitors? When will there be money available to improve UT baseball?

You can't afford to fix every sport at once. More importantly, most people think higher education is about to hit a financial wall everywhere. The price of a college degree keeps going up, even as its value in the marketplace goes down. How many degrees even allow graduates to earn enough to pay off their student loans?

For answers, I'd go to the coaches who turned down the offer last time around. What did they know? Next I'd ask the parents of players we recruited but couldn't land. What did they know? What did they perceive was missing for professional and individual success at UT?

Reactions: 5 people
Head coach & pitching coach does not equal winning.
I was at the SC games. He does not even watch pitchers warm up. Some young kid with a radio says I think they are ready. This is not travel ball this is the SEC!!!!

Same thing today

Last edited:
Head coach & pitching coach does not equal winning.
I was the SC games. He does not even watch pitchers warm up. Some young kid with a radio says I think they are ready. This is not travel ball this is the SEC!!!!

Lol

You want the head coach to be in the bullpen?

You do realize pitching coaches that aren't head coaches don't even do that?

Reactions: 1 person
Let's please DON'T fire another coach and further degrade the program's perceived stability until we have real answers to those questions. Is administrative commitment the problem? Is it a budget issue? How do our facilities compare today with our competitors? When will there be money available to improve UT baseball?

You can't afford to fix every sport at once. More importantly, most people think higher education is about to hit a financial wall everywhere. The price of a college degree keeps going up, even as its value in the marketplace goes down. How many degrees even allow graduates to earn enough to pay off their student loans?

For answers, I'd go to the coaches who turned down the offer last time around. What did they know? Next I'd ask the parents of players we recruited but couldn't land. What did they know? What did they perceive was missing for professional and individual success at UT?

Excellent post!!!
Commitment is a big question.

Statement on "higher education" is very much to the point.

For "answers ", I just wonder if any school has a committee or some department that does this type of follow up. To me, this would be a great use if time and money. I remember some time ago hearing about a kid going to a school because he like a eatery on the campus better than others offered. ( to Clemson I think) Knowing what trips a kid's or his family's trigger could be real good information.

Logical and level headed post. I've asked similar questions several times myself and to date, they remain without answers. Still we can't do much worse. Standing pat simply isn't an option. He certainly could get this team rolling and make some noise, but it sure looks like every other DS year in the making. If that turns out to be the case, I'm ready for change...Even if it's for the sake of making one. I'm just fatigued with UT baseball and UT sports in general. Do we really have to suck at everything and every year? Has the curse no end? Damned depressing being a UT fan.

I know LN isn't as nice as the place in Columbia, SC. I'd be willing to bet there are more than a few that would be better.

I think other schools have a more vested interest in baseball (Vandy, SC, FL, LSU). I don't think the old admin really cared. It'll be interesting to see what the new one does.

I really hate it for Serrano as I think he's a very good coach. I don't know what the answer is there.

I kept thinking Dave would make it work. Year after year I believed things were getting better and in fairness, this year may get better yet. However, as every series comes and goes it's getting harder and harder to believe in Coach Serrano. I no longer have the desire to argue with those that want him replaced after the season. UT has been very fair with him. I suspect it is time for a change although I hate to think that as I like Dave a lot.

Aside from its pathetic defeatist attitude, the problem with the "If he can't win here, who can?" meme is it ignores the fact that CDS's current job description asks him to do two things he has never done before:

--Rebuild a losing program in an extremely competitive conference.

--Sustain a winning program through multiple cycles of recruiting and development.

I hope he adds these skills to his resume real soon, but his lack of success at them so far does not mean nobody else can ever succeed here.

Last edited:
Aside from its pathetic defeatist attitude, the problem with the "If he can't win here, who can?" meme is it ignores the fact that CDS's current job description asks him to do two things he has never done before:

--Rebuild a losing program in an extremely competitive conference.

--Sustain a winning program through multiple cycles of recruiting and development.

I hope he adds these skills to his resume real soon, but his lack of success at them so far does not mean nobody else can ever succeed here.

Amen. It's not like anyone has had an itchy trigger finger. 6 years.

Serrano has had success and if he felt like UT wasn't supplying him with what he needed to win, he could have left. He begged to stay. Request granted. Failure.

I haven't followed the team closely--except to take note of all our SEC losses--but one must assume DS simply hasn't recruited sufficient talent to win in this conference. Before the season he talked positively about the pitching, and pitching depth, yet the pitching isn't good enough-and pitching is where it all starts in baseball. Of all our problems, you have to think recruiting is top of list.

Serrano has had more than enough time to show what he can do, and his teams do not compete in the SEC. I don't think he has any more time after this year on his contract. I think the facilities are acceptable, the real question is can we get a capable coach to come to Tennessee in the most competitive baseball conference in the country? I think there is someone out there who could make us successful, the real issue is identifying that person and getting them to come to UT. I guess we may soon see what the new AD is capable of. And by the way, I think Holly will get another year.

Reactions: 1 person
Serrano knows what he is doing but hasn't recruited well enough to compete in a very tough conference. Warlick doesn't know what she's doing and has been out of her depth from day 1.

Serrano knows what he is doing but hasn't recruited well enough to compete in a very tough conference. Warlick doesn't know what she's doing and has been out of her depth from day 1.

Serrano may know what he's doing now but he spent the first four years trying to win in the SEC with soft tossing pitchers and playing small ball on offense.

Serrano may know what he's doing now but he spent the first four years trying to win in the SEC with soft tossing pitchers and playing small ball on offense.

Agreed on the first 4 years.
That why I am looking at this as we somewhat already made a change at HC and are in year two of the new regime.

CHW will get another year because of her number one ranked recruiting class.

I think Currie should look at a coach from a school like Coastal Carolina which won the College World Series last year or a top assistant from an SEC school like Florida or South Carolina or Texas A%M who is ready to build his own program.

Agreed on the first 4 years.
That why I am looking at this as we somewhat already made a change at HC and are in year two of the new regime.

A four-YEAR mulligan? That's quite a generous earn-while-you-learn program.

I kinda doubt the theory that it took a two-time CWS coach 200 games to figure out they throw hard and hit hard in the SEC. I don't think he every turned away power arms or bats in favor of soft tossers or punch-and-judy hitters. He made do with what he had and what he could get.

Also, CDS v2.0 hasn't been any better in conference play than v1.0.

John Wilkerson mentioned the other day that Vandy had some advantages as far as benefits to players that Tennessee did not have. He said it was out side of scholarships. Not sure what he meant by that. Is there something that they can offer that we can't?

John Wilkerson mentioned the other day that Vandy had some advantages as far as benefits to players that Tennessee did not have. He said it was out side of scholarships. Not sure what he meant by that. Is there something that they can offer that we can't?

No unless he is talking about facilities or support staff.

VN Store

Back