New answers

Volsfriend

Danny parker credit given

It's time to return to the drawing board as Tennessee dropped all three of its first Southeastern Conference contests, courtesy the No. 10-ranked South Carolina Gamecocks.

Tennessee found out a lot about itself this weekend. Welcome to Southeastern Conference baseball.
The Volunteers crumbled in the late innings Friday in a 7-1 loss to No. 10-ranked South Carolina, couldn’t quite get over the hump in a 6-4 extra-inning loss Saturday and the sweep was completed with a 10-2 Sunday contest that may have been their worst effort of 2017.

http://www.scout.com/college/tennessee/story/1764225-vols-searching-for-answers-after-cocks-sweep

Last edited:
Yea, a lot of things change--they faced a good team. That's what happens every year. If you are very dependent on a freshman pitcher, you are likely to have problems when you/he face good teams--that's often the way it works.

Reactions: 1 person
Still in the race for that coveted 12th spot in the SEC. Goal remains to get past day one of the SEC tournament.

Last edited:
Still in the race for that coveted 12th spot in the SEC. Goal remains to get past day one of the SEC tournament.

13th and 14th has already been decided with Georgia and Alabama IMO. There must be a change made if this team can't beat those two teams.

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah, it only took 4 years.

Oh heck no. Im with BV. CDS finally has a class not completely gutted by the draft or poached by Vandy, SC, or you fill in the blank school and now he should go? No way. I will wish and moan for more random pitch selection and less loyalty to a set rotation when the pitcher needs relief. I will cross my fingers and hope our hitters have the restraints cut off at BP so they get even better than SC at wasting buckets of old balls, but thats it. CDS, AT, Slim, and TH are our coaches (regulatory edit...3 coaches and 1 noncoach Director of Player Development who does not coach but talks about baseball). They are just getting started...finally...but it is worth the wait.

Last edited:
I was at a couple games this weekend as well. I do like some of the new talent, and for the record I am a fan of this coaching staff and want no change. That said,

GET SOME DAME HEART! GET SOME DAMN FIRE! START A DAMN BRAWL! FIGHT LIKE HELL! EVERY DAMN PITCH IS IMPORTANT! STOP TAKING SO MANY DAMN FASTBALLS DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE PLATE!!!! WOULD IT KILL YA TO RUN A LITTLE? EVER HEARD OF THE HIT AND RUN FOR THE GUYS WHO ARE STRUGGLING AND NEED TO SWING THE BAT SOME?

Sheww.....I feel better now.

If Serrano is incapable of getting the job done then who can? Not many coaches out there with a better resume

Same story. Play good in pre-conference and then same ole ****.

Ain't like anyone got an itchy trigger on Seranno. He's had ample time. Don't get swept.

If CDS is replaced, Currie could look at the staffs of Vanderbilt, South Carolina or Florida for a possible replacement among the assistant coaches on those staffs.

Yea patience isn't our strong suit.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with this statement. However, CDS has had six seasons on the job. I'm not calling for his head, but if UT misses the SECT again this year, Currie needs to take a hard look at moving on, IMO.

Still a lot of ball to be played, though.

Find someone with better credentials than Serrano.

I agree that CDS has a great pedigree, but it doesn't appear to be helping UT win SEC games.

I don't ever expect UT to have the juggernaut programs of LSU, Vandy and USC, but we should make the SECT on the regular.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with this statement. However, CDS has had six seasons on the job. I'm not calling for his head, but if UT misses the SECT again this year, Currie needs to take a hard look at moving on, IMO.

I agree if he can't make it to Hoover he should be Gone. I don't think that is a problem with Bama and Georgia being awful

He's made the SECT in '14,'15 and '16 and lost each game by one run to Vandy, Arkansas and LSU.

I agree that CDS has a great pedigree, but it doesn't appear to be helping UT win SEC games.

I don't ever expect UT to have the juggernaut programs of LSU, Vandy and USC, but we should make the SECT on the regular.

We have.

I'm still confident we can make a regional this year. Last weekend was a wake-up call for a young team. Let's see how they respond.

This is Serrano's 6th season actually.

Yup, you are right. Baseball has been so lousy here for so long it all blends together into a hazy mess. I was thinking he had 4 and not counting the current season to make 5, but he's had 5 not counting the current to make 6.

Yea patience isn't our strong suit. I guess frank martin would have been fired after last year if your were the AD at South Carolina.

Nah, I'm not playing a game of hypothetical. I could do that all day long. But, what I will say is that you are wrong about fans not having patience. Apparently we do have fans with patience because we have you sitting in here defending a coach that's been here a long time and his teams haven't improved one iota. Serrano has been here long enough to criticize him for the results of the product we see on the field.

He's on a hot seat. When he gets swept or loses games the criticism is only going to get louder.

Yea patience isn't our strong suit. I guess frank martin would have been fired after last year if your were the AD at South Carolina.

Wat? Seriously?! This is his 6th year.
UT fans and admin have shown extreme patience with both Serrano and Holly.

Neither have produced. Yet 6 isn't the year to rebuild your roster.

Reaching Hoover should have been removed from the list of benchmarks for a successful season when they increased the field to 12.

Not making the field indicates an unsuccessful season.

Earning a top-eight seed is noteworthy. Just getting there is not.

Now that I have that off my chest, it's way too early to be talking coaching carousel.

I was ecstatic when Serrano was hired. I was mildly surprised when he was extended. That decision has been made. Now that he has been extended, I intend to refrain from commenting on firings or replacements until we know a lot more than we do now about the direction of this season.

VN Store

Back