Hardin Valley Coaches under investigation

Make no mistake about it, I'd be pissed if player of mine stepped out of the box to avoid being hit by pitch, so you just sit the kid down, you don't do something as asinine as the HV coaches did! They are idiots and deserve to be replaced the sooner the better. And if they are sued, then good enough for them, you can't do crap like that to kids!

Just give us our participation trophy. :cray:

I never played baseball at a high level, but I don't see how you can condone these alleged actions. You just can't do that, especially with the liability these days.

I don't know where these coaches come up with some of these ideas.

Reactions: 2 people
There are ways to communicate to kids that "we are going to be tough and aggressive" without physically abusing them. These sick "teachers," because that is essentially all that they are, get on an ego trip and think they are really something because they stand head and shoulders above their kids and win a game or two. Most of the time, it is not even the coach that gets a kid a scholarship, it is the work of the kid and his or her parent that spend the majority of time working on their own time. In fact, on most occasions, High School coaches are a hindrance to a kid getting a scholarship!

Reactions: 3 people
is tarred and feathered out of play these days...they deserve it...see, I remember those type of days from coaches...hated it then...hate it more now...wanna teach...teach, wanna be stupid, then you get what you deserve...just no place for that anywhere...:bad:

GO BIG ORANGE!

I know a lot of high school coaches that have a practice where they practice getting hit. There is a correct way to take one to keep you from getting hurt. I wonder what exactly was going on at this practice. The bear crawls on pavement sounds stupid and ridiculous for the coaches to even think about making the players do that.

The Bear Crawl stuff was down right ridiculous, they should be fired on that alone.

I don't agree with "hitting players" as punishment for stepping out of the box. It could have ended with a conversation of if I see you do it again you sit.

Last edited:
I know a lot of high school coaches that have a practice where they practice getting hit. There is a correct way to take one to keep you from getting hurt. I wonder what exactly was going on at this practice. The bear crawls on pavement sounds stupid and ridiculous for the coaches to even think about making the players do that.

True

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVI689-zNs0

I was always under the impression that if it was soft then let it hit you but if its a fastball smoking in there then get the heck out of the way especially if you are a good hitter. Bases loaded and two outs and tied in the state championship then take it. But even in the majors, they get out of the way if possible of a chapman fastball.

Reactions: 1 person
There are ways to communicate to kids that "we are going to be tough and aggressive" without physically abusing them. These sick "teachers," because that is essentially all that they are, get on an ego trip and think they are really something because they stand head and shoulders above their kids and win a game or two. Most of the time, it is not even the coach that gets a kid a scholarship, it is the work of the kid and his or her parent that spend the majority of time working on their own time. In fact, on most occasions, High School coaches are a hindrance to a kid getting a scholarship!

As a former high school coach and “just a teacher” as described by you, I'd like to offer a few remarks in response to your puzzling post. As I read it I couldn't help but wonder if you or your child had been mistreated by a coach at some point. I truly hope that is not the case.

First, as to your remark that coaches are “just teachers,” which I took as a comment intended to demean, I find that idea a bit confusing as well. I ask you, what is it that coaches do other than teach young people how to play the game. That is pretty much the definition of a coach...aka a teacher. Coaches do a lot of teaching and more than a little “unteaching” of things taught to young players by well intended parents who think they know a lot more about how to hit or throw a ball than they do.

Also, If you meant to say that teachers are incompetent and not worthy of respect for what they do, I challenge you to take a week off from whatever you do and volunteer to assist at your local high school. You might find it revealing. Tell me, do you look down on all teachers or just ones that take their free time to coach a school team?

But coaches get paid extra you say. Yes, they do and some of them make as much as two or three dollars an hour (based on hours worked per stipend paid) for their coaching duties but most make less than that. No high school coach coaches for the money. You could work as a pizza delivery guy and earn a lot more.

As to high school coaches and egos, yes many do have large egos. So do many parents, and preachers and politicians and so on. I have found that most high school coaches try very hard to help their players improve both on the field and in the classroom. What always fed my ego was seeing my kids graduate and in some cases earn a scholarship. Somehow I don't feel at all guilty for that.

You seem to think that all coaches coach so they can lord it over their players and take credit for their accomplishments. I very much disagree. Yes, there are a few idiots that make it into coaching, (the Hardin Valley duo springs to mind,) few last. Just like in your job.

Speaking of scholarships. Who led you to believe it was a high school coach's job to get scholarships for their players. While many coaches work very hard to do that at the end of the day, it's primarily the player and parents responsibility to put themselves in the position to be noticed, typically by attending camps and perhaps playing travel ball, and as a result earning a scholarship. I was always happy to see that happen.

Are you complaining when you say “Most of the time, it is not even the coach that gets a kid a scholarship, it is the work of the kid and his or her parent that spend the majority of time working on their own time.” You seem offended by the idea that a parent might have some responsibility to assist their kids. I think that is just as it should be. While most coaches do try to help, it's not their job and there is only so much they can do.

You say “In fact, on most occasions, High School coaches are a hindrance to a kid getting a scholarship!” I'm eager to learn how coaches do that. Do they fail to take a kid with average skills or a poor attitude and turn them into a college ready athlete with top level skills? If so, I guess you could say that coaches are a hindrance at times.

I'll conclude by saying that I am very proud to have been a teacher and a coach. I'm confident that along the way I helped several young people become better people that have respect for those that do their jobs and serve their communities well.

Reactions: 6 people

The coach should have supplied elbow and knee pads! Seriously though some things cross the line. :rolleyes:

Many high school coaches have the "big duck on the pond" syndrome.
I think if you have been watching the Tennessee championship games you can see the "Real" coaches. The cream rises to the top, their players really seem to love and above all respect them. That is not to say there are not good coaches that never make the championship level, sometimes they just don't have the players that some areas have. None the less, when you talk to their old players, you know how they rate.

As a former high school coach and “just a teacher” as described by you, I'd like to offer a few remarks in response to your puzzling post. As I read it I couldn't help but wonder if you or your child had been mistreated by a coach at some point. I truly hope that is not the case.

First, as to your remark that coaches are “just teachers,” which I took as a comment intended to demean, I find that idea a bit confusing as well. I ask you, what is it that coaches do other than teach young people how to play the game. That is pretty much the definition of a coach...aka a teacher. Coaches do a lot of teaching and more than a little “unteaching” of things taught to young players by well intended parents who think they know a lot more about how to hit or throw a ball than they do.

Also, If you meant to say that teachers are incompetent and not worthy of respect for what they do, I challenge you to take a week off from whatever you do and volunteer to assist at your local high school. You might find it revealing. Tell me, do you look down on all teachers or just ones that take their free time to coach a school team?

But coaches get paid extra you say. Yes, they do and some of them make as much as two or three dollars an hour (based on hours worked per stipend paid) for their coaching duties but most make less than that. No high school coach coaches for the money. You could work as a pizza delivery guy and earn a lot more.

As to high school coaches and egos, yes many do have large egos. So do many parents, and preachers and politicians and so on. I have found that most high school coaches try very hard to help their players improve both on the field and in the classroom. What always fed my ego was seeing my kids graduate and in some cases earn a scholarship. Somehow I don't feel at all guilty for that.

You seem to think that all coaches coach so they can lord it over their players and take credit for their accomplishments. I very much disagree. Yes, there are a few idiots that make it into coaching, (the Hardin Valley duo springs to mind,) few last. Just like in your job.

Speaking of scholarships. Who led you to believe it was a high school coach's job to get scholarships for their players. While many coaches work very hard to do that at the end of the day, it's primarily the player and parents responsibility to put themselves in the position to be noticed, typically by attending camps and perhaps playing travel ball, and as a result earning a scholarship. I was always happy to see that happen.

Are you complaining when you say “Most of the time, it is not even the coach that gets a kid a scholarship, it is the work of the kid and his or her parent that spend the majority of time working on their own time.” You seem offended by the idea that a parent might have some responsibility to assist their kids. I think that is just as it should be. While most coaches do try to help, it's not their job and there is only so much they can do.

You say “In fact, on most occasions, High School coaches are a hindrance to a kid getting a scholarship!” I'm eager to learn how coaches do that. Do they fail to take a kid with average skills or a poor attitude and turn them into a college ready athlete with top level skills? If so, I guess you could say that coaches are a hindrance at times.

I'll conclude by saying that I am very proud to have been a teacher and a coach. I'm confident that along the way I helped several young people become better people that have respect for those that do their jobs and serve their communities well.

I think you represent the majority of high school, or any young people coaches. The sad part as in most things we only hear the bad. However, many parents have no idea how to "sell" their young super star. (as many parents of these kids see them). Let alone have the money or time todo this "selling".
I have been under the impression coaches usually let college staffs know if they thought they had a potential college player. Guess I have been mistaken about this.

I think you represent the majority of high school, or any young people coaches. The sad part as in most things we only hear the bad. However, many parents have no idea how to "sell" their young super star. (as many parents of these kids see them). Let alone have the money or time todo this "selling".
I have been under the impression coaches usually let college staffs know if they thought they had a potential college player. Guess I have been mistaken about this.

No, you're not wrong. Most coaches market players to different schools many are very aggressive about it. I can't even remember all the calls I made to get players a chance nor the trips I made to take players to camps at UT, UTC and Mississippi State. Made a number of video discs when I could get good video from parents. Even had one guys that I could call to come out and make videos at practice so I had something to send to my contacts.

But again...it wasn't my job to do that. In most cases I took money out of my pocket to help kids I thought had a chance to play somewhere. I can name you dozens of other coaches in multiple sports that did the same thing and that's a lot for a guy or girl raising a family on a teacher's salary. Fortunately, I had already made my little pile before I took up my second career as a teacher/coach. But I was lucky in that way.

Reactions: 1 person
Am I the only one that read the part that said it wasn't a real baseball?? It was a rubber ball that the coach says was side signed for this drill. #crybabies #mommyhehitme

Using better judgement by these coaches certainly is recommended but the REAL problem today in sports, academics, drama, society etc is the parents or lack there of. The father is responsible for leading these boys into manhood and in many MANY homes he's not even there. Society wants to blame EVERYONE else for the out of control we see today especially in schools. But until dads return home and realize that their job AS A MAN is to lead that boy to become a calm, productive, responsible, loving young man so someday he can do the same for his boy. Until that happens the spiraling out of control we see today will only get worse! Bad coaches? Sure there's bad in every profession. Bad daddy's??? Epidemic!!!

Reactions: 3 people
There was a video posted somewhere showing the coach hitting the kids in practice. He was lobbing them in there at about 40mph. And keeping them low. Add in the info above about using a rubber ball and I don't see the issue.

There was a video posted somewhere showing the coach hitting the kids in practice. He was lobbing them in there at about 40mph. And keeping them low. Add in the info above about using a rubber ball and I don't see the issue.

Nor do I as far as throwing is concerned...the "bear crawls" on hot pavement make no sense at all. I can't imagine what they were trying to teach with that.

Am I the only one that read the part that said it wasn't a real baseball?? It was a rubber ball that the coach says was side signed for this drill. #crybabies #mommyhehitme

Actually, I think you are. I just kind of scanned through, and missed it. I am betting I was not the only one.

Quote from article in KNS:

Parks said the ball used in the drill was not a regulation baseball but a hard rubber ball used for drill.

"It is intended for this specific kind of drill," he said. "High schools and colleges around the country are known to teach this drill — not that everyone accepts it. But we don't have an issue with it and (the coach) was not trying to abuse my son."

I guess I should've anticipated my post being misunderstood. I know I wasn't clear. Maybe I didn't think it through before I posted it. I should've said in my original post that not all high school coaches are ego maniacs. There are some really good coaches/teachers out there, and I mean really good, people, not just coaches, and I implied that there weren't and for that I'm sorry. Yes, My son did get hurt in High School baseball. He was a left handed pitcher 6'1" 215. He was throwing 85 mph when he was a sophomore. Originally hurt his throwing shoulder doing "up downs" on the infield. Basically, this was a "drill" where the coach blows a whistle and you were instructed to dive face first in the dirt. Long story short, he never fully recovered from the multiple surgeries he received trying to "fix" his shoulder. He did play college ball, but never recovered his arm speed and never was able to throw again without pain. And how did the coaches react? They accused him of "faking" the injury, and wouldn't even talk to him anymore!! I guess the OP just touched a sore spot with me.

Reactions: 2 people
Using better judgement by these coaches certainly is recommended but the REAL problem today in sports, academics, drama, society etc is the parents or lack there of. The father is responsible for leading these boys into manhood and in many MANY homes he's not even there. Society wants to blame EVERYONE else for the out of control we see today especially in schools. But until dads return home and realize that their job AS A MAN is to lead that boy to become a calm, productive, responsible, loving young man so someday he can do the same for his boy. Until that happens the spiraling out of control we see today will only get worse! Bad coaches? Sure there's bad in every profession. Bad daddy's??? Epidemic!!!

The problem with your solution to this problem is your answer to it. If these "dads" were ever there for more than a short time, the fact that they are gone shows how responsible they are to begin with. Chances are if they return, the kid will be worse off for a role model or guide to manhood than they are in their present environment.

If your son is being abused right in front of your eyes and your first response is...

disclaimer: I am an old guy whose coach put cross ties around the box. You weren't backing out!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back