Memphis Week

vol66

GBO!!!
Staff member
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/ne...eam-opens-vs-ut-and-ready-for-rebound-season/

University of Memphis Athletics - Experienced Tigers Open 2017 Baseball Practice

"We are a more experienced club, probably in every area. We have more guys coming back that had to play big roles the previous year than ever before," Memphis head coach Daron Schoenrock. "We threw a lot of freshmen on the mound. Those guys have made a jump and we'll see if they have made enough of a jump. We have to get better on the mound and I think we have."

Connor Alexander and Colton Hathcock will anchor the pitching staff again in 2017. The juniors each pitched more than 80 innings last season and were the team's strikeout leaders.

Five seniors will scatter the Memphis lineup this season. Infielders Andy Bowman, Brandon Grudzielanek, Zach Schritenthal and Trent Turner as well as outfielder Chris Carrier are all expected to make significant contributions.

Tigers baseball ready for season opener against Vols - WMC Action News 5 - Memphis, Tennessee

GBO!!!

Reactions: 1 person
posted this in the "Other" thread a few weeks back, more suitable for here now that we have an official Game Week thread....

Memphis Review:

Projected 2017 order of finish in The American Conference:

East Carolina
Houston
Tulane
Connecticut
Cincinnati
Memphis
South Florida
UCF

Projected Regional Teams (3): East Carolina, Houston, Tulane

Top Prospects, 2017 Draft
#4 Colton Hathcock RHP Memphis
#19 Drew Crosby LHP Memphis

Top Prospects, 2018 Draft
#5 Jonathan Bowlan RHP Memphis

Impact Freshman
#18 Alec Trela SS Memphis

Memphis followed up a 37-win 2015 campaign by falling flat in a 22-win 2016 season, but the coaches were encouraged by how their young players performed down the stretch last year and this fall, and they believe this has a chance to be their best team in the last six years. The most exciting thing about the roster is a collective of very intriguing power arms, giving the Tigers significant upside. RHP Colton Hathcock (5-8, 3.94) has a durable workhorse frame, a smooth delivery and a power arm that produces 90-94 mph heat, a good 82 mph slider, a solid changeup and a cutter that is new to his arsenal. LHP Drew Crosby has good angle that makes his 88-91 fastball play up, along with a promising high-70s slurve and a decent changeup that keeps righties honest. RHP Connor Alexander relies on his heavy sinker at 87-89, and the Tigers think he’s ready to take a step forward after replacing his poor curveball with a serviceable slider. The X-factor is So. RHP Jonathan Bowlan, a physical 6-foot-6 behemoth who showed 91-93 heat and a nice 82-86 slider in the Valley League all-star game last summer. If he harnesses his command, he could emerge as a front-line starter alongside Hathcock. So the Tigers feel good about their starting pitching, but they’re still looking for a couple of shutdown options to emerge in the bullpen. The leading candidates are quick-armed LHP Colton Neel and tall sinkerballer Alex Hicks.

The lineup is built around 2B Brandon Grudzielanek (.292/.321/.373), a mature gap-to-gap hitter with emerging pop, and RF Chris Carrier (.280/.351/.467, 6 HR), the team’s most accomplished run producer. The Tigers are predicting a huge year from Carrier, who is still tapping into his power potential. Juco transfer Tyler Webb proved even better than the coaches expected in the fall, and he looks likely to start in center field and serve as another key middle-of-the-order run producer. Catcher Jason Santana was one of Memphis’ most improved players in the fall; his calling card is his defense, but he also showed real signs of life with the bat. To be strong up the middle, Memphis will also need freshman SS Alec Trela to hit the ground running; he’s a physical infielder who lacks foot speed but makes up for it with good instincts and offensive upside.

Hope times have changed. In the old days, Memphis State used an umpiring crew for all non conference games. Called the game straight up with the exception of 3rd strikes. They would never call a 3rd strike on the Tigers.

Tigers beat Delta State really bad one day and DSU's HOF coach, Boo Ferris was livid about this. The Tigers went to Cleveland, MS and DSU beat them just as badly with the same type of umpires. I think they called a truce after that.

might get to go to my first baseball game in a few years! (was in cali last spring)

I'll check on ticket prices, but I don't imagine them being too much

EDIT: ok, just saw they're $10 since it's a Tennessee game lol

LINK

Attachments

• baseballtix.png
    baseballtix.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
might get to go to my first baseball game in a few years! (was in cali last spring)

I'll check on ticket prices, but I don't imagine them being too much

EDIT: ok, just saw they're $10 since it's a Tennessee game lol

LINK

Price gouging at it's finest. Sad thing is, this may keep a family of 4 with kids from coming to a game opening weekend. It just went from $10 to $40. That family could go see a minor league game in a fantastic park for cheaper than that.

Yep, and I just laughed thinking about them.

For those of us who would actually like to WATCH some baseball on Friday...

Auburn vs. George Washington - 3 PM ESPN3

Kentucky vs. (13)UNC - ACCN - 3 PM

Miami (OH) vs. Arkansas - 4 PM ESPN3

UNC Greensboro vs. South Carolina - 4 PM ESPN3

College of Charleston vs. Georgia - 5 PM ESPN3

(10) East Carolina vs. (24) Ole Miss - 5 PM ESPN3

(19) Texas Tech vs. Mississippi State - 5 PM ESPN3

Presbyterian vs. Alabama - 6 PM ESPN3

William and Mary vs. (2) Florida - 6:30 PM ESPN3

Bowling Green vs. (20) Texas A&M - 7:30 ESPN3

Air Force vs. (3) LSU - 8 PM ESPN3

Tennessee vs. Memphis - 5 PM
6a00d8341bf6cb53ef01348018cf91970c-320wi

GBO!!!

(This is what showing up top 10 in the country in football, MBB and WBB gets UT fans.)

Reactions: 2 people
maybe we should hire their athletic director....they are having some success in the three major mens's programs

anybody get to go to the game yesterday, or just know how much parking is?

Not sure if I can park farther away for cheap/free and walk, or if there's nowhere and I have to park in designated lots where they charge

anybody get to go to the game yesterday, or just know how much parking is?

Not sure if I can park farther away for cheap/free and walk, or if there's nowhere and I have to park in designated lots where they charge

We didn't pay for parking. You should be good.

VN Store

Back