VFL Todd Helton Joins Vol Baseball Staff

VN News

The Tennessee baseball program and head coach Dave Serrano announced today that former Tennessee All-American and Major League Baseball veteran Todd Helton will join the baseball staff as director of player development.

More...

Discuss.

Reactions: 13 people
Saw it said volunteer role. Anyone have an idea of what that means in terms of recruiting or on field coaching?

Really enjoyed watching him play. I was able to see him quite a few times in Denver and then in San Francisco after moving out here.

Saw it said volunteer role. Anyone have an idea of what that means in terms of recruiting or on field coaching?

Pretty sure it means NO recruiting or evaluation off campus. From what I understand he can help with coaching and advice during practice etc.

UT did a press release on it. Player development along with on campus recruiting.

Does that mean he can hang around recruits on visits & talk to them & show them around? Is that all this on campus recruiting means?

I would rather have him recruiting off-campus instead of on campus. His popularity itself would garner us some bigger hits on recruiting if he was the one out & about recruiting.

That would be the better choice in my opinion but maybe he's not allowed to do that with his job title. Maybe he has to stay on campus & not leave the UT campus to try & garner any recruits.

does this mean he can't coach any players ? on or off the field ?

I assume he will be able to talk to recruits only on campus

and I'm assuming again :) is he angling for an administration role ? as in a GM somewhere in a few years ? or something like that ?

and welcome aboard Mr Helton :)

Great deal for Serrano!

There were some on this board who vehemently argued that Todd wouldn't come back to Knoxville (when he already was visiting private schools on the area).

We have a pair of Todd Helton's pants (from when he played with the Asheville Tourists)! :redface:

VN Store

Back