R.A. Dickey to Braves

gburgvol

Braves sign R.A. Dickey | MLB.com

Yeah, this happened a couple days ago. Just haven't seen it mentioned on here yet. I know that there are quite a few other Braves fans here. Great veteran presence for all of the young pitchers that the Braves will have possibly making MLB debuts in 2017. Braves have also added Bartolo Colon for 2017. Great moves by Braves front office imo. Even if just for the combined knowledge they bring to a mostly young clubhouse.

Reactions: 2 people
Bless his heart

Hey,Braves won 20 of last 30 games of the 2016 season. Swanson seems as advertised. Markakis and Freeman finally getting healthy. Along with Kemp who, still has good power. If the Braves can add a catcher and a couple of bullpen upgrades, they can be at least in the mix 2017. Probably 2018 before real playoff threat but, it's baseball, you never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
He stinks. Needs to retire.

Only 4 years since he won the AL Cy Young. His 4.46 era in the AL east which, is full of hitter friendly parks, should translate to, jmo, about a 3.50 era in the NL East. Maybe these past few years of watching the Braves and VOLs has widened my vision looking for anything optimistic but, I think he will be serviceable and eat innings as a #3 or #4 starter.

Reactions: 3 people
2017 will be a year of improvement but 2018 will be the year we start to contend again.

Between him and Colon, we have the classic baseball cliches "Eating innings" and "veteran presence in the lineup". They're cliches because they've been said because this is a reality. Good short term moves IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Only 4 years since he won the AL Cy Young. His 4.46 era in the AL east which, is full of hitter friendly parks, should translate to, jmo, about a 3.50 era in the NL East. Maybe these past few years of watching the Braves and VOLs has widened my vision looking for anything optimistic but, I think he will be serviceable and eat innings as a #3 or #4 starter.

he won the Cy Young with the Mets in 2012

I'd take a trip to watch RA in the new ballpark if he gets a start.
As long as he is healthy, there's no reason he shouldn't pitch a minimum 130 innings next season. Most of the Braves huge surplus of young arms are not projected to make MLB debuts till late 2017 or 2018.

Between him and Colon, we have the classic baseball cliches "Eating innings" and "veteran presence in the lineup". They're cliches because they've been said because this is a reality. Good short term moves IMO.

Agreed. Innings eaters is the first thing I thought of when I heard about these signings. Good pick ups and they will help get through July and August by pitching deep into games but $8M seems a little high for Dickey.

Glad to see him heading to an outdoor field. I think he may surprise us..

Good pick up for the Cobb County Braves...seeing as it seems the Braves always found ways to lose when going against him.

VN Store

Back