Catcher's Gear Questions

baseballdad

Hey there, have a question about the rules pertaining to catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!

Hey there, have a question about the rules pertaining to catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!

3 questions. How old is your son? Is he playing in TN? If he is not high school age, what is the league he is in?

My son has played catcher for most of his baseball career. He is now 17. I have spent many exhaustive hours reading about the masks.

He has had two sets of catchers gear. First was Mizuno Samurai and current is Easton Mako (awesome gear). Both with hockey style masks.

He has suffered a concussion from a foul ball off of his mask. The hockey style mask does not provide as much protection as the old style mask because of the amount of cushion. There are many articles about pro athletes choosing the old style mask for concussion reasons. The velocities in the pros are much greater than youth ball of course.

Hockey style masks do provide full coverage of the ears and partial neck. However my opinion is, if you train your young catcher to use his gear properly you will minimize or eliminate the chances of getting hit in the ear by a ball (i.e. tuck your chin and always look at the ball, don't turn your head, use your gear that is what it is for). That will not prevent a batter from hitting them in the side of the head though. Young batters do cast when they bat. My son got hit in the back of his catching hand during a game from a batter casting, luckily no broken bones.

Concussions were not an issue until the pitchers started throwing 80 plus. So at a young age it was not as big of an issue for my son.

Our high school governing body will not allow high school players to wear two piece masks. They must be a hockey style to cover the ears. But, his show case league allows the use of masks. I am sure this will vary from league to league and state to state. I am in Texas, the governing body is UIL.

The internet is your friend. There are many articles about the pluses and minuses. However the governing bodies rules don't always match what you might believe.

Catching is a tough position but a rewarding one. Get ready for injuries. My son has had a concussion, broken wrist, and a meniscus clean out. The broken wrist happened while catching a bullpen in practice. A pitcher next to him threw a wild pitch (curve ball). Instead of bailing he tried to catch his pitcher and the other ball hit him in the wrist.

Wilson does make a shock absorbing mask. Wilson Shock FX 2.0. The only feed back that I have heard is that a girl softball catcher had hers break from a foul ball.

Hope this helps you and your son. NO E2's.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
High school and many organizations below (Little League for certainty) require the full helmet. High school has required for almost 10 years now. That's part of the reason you see so many more college catchers with it now. They've grown up with it.

That being said, I umpire with a traditional mask, mostly because that's all I've used, and the full helmets are so much more expensive. I have tried on a full helmet and the vision line is much better in the full helmet, believe it or not. The vision hole/slot wraps around the head farther than the ones on traditional masks.

Edit: all public high schools in all states fall under the NFHS, regardless of any other sub-organizations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

I have 2 sons that pitch but they have lots of friends on multiple teams that catch. Some of the highest praise I have heard from catchers is about the new Marucci catchers gear. I believe it has only been available for a year so you may not see it everywhere. Also, nothing Marucci makes is cheap but if you want the best protection it is probably worth a look. If my youngest starts catching I will buy it. Its on their web site.

VN Store

Back