New SEC Baseball arms race

zachpack

KY just announced a new $49 million baseball stadium and FL, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt & Miss State will, or have already started, multi million dollar renovations. With all of this going on where will we stand in the SEC pecking order? Based on my visits around the conference and what I have seen on tv, I have to say we will be close to the bottom just above Missouri and possibly GA. Time for new AD to come in and get something moving around here too!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
lindsey-nelson-1.jpg
lindsey-nelson-2a.jpg
lns_aerial.jpg

These were the plans for LNS, however since the smokies may be moving back downtown these have since gone away on the tennessee fund website

Parity in facilities grows year by year esp in rich conferences like the SEC. That said it's critical to hire the best coaches available in each sport. Coaches recruits want to play for. :yes:

present AD...lame duck...new AD next year...:thud:...crazy azz amount of time to waste...somebody forgot the "six P's of planning"...proper planning prevents piss poor performance...:)

GO BIG ORANGE!

A multipurpose stadium would allow for baseball games and concerts as well as maybe a few high school games and a possible high school championship tournament.

A multipurpose stadium would allow for baseball games and concerts as well as maybe a few high school games and a possible high school championship tournament.

All good stuff for Knoxville, but UTK needs to step up the game for Basevols. IMO we need to have first class facilities to recruit and retain top players. I am not aware of other schools UT competes with sharing a facility. Bama did for a while...during the 50 million renovation they just finished. Another thought, Coastal Carolina's house as an example of nice facility and they don't have to share. Perfect example of "if you build it they will come"

If the Smokies move back to Knoxville, I think UT and the Smokies should share a baseball stadium.

That's how penn state did theirs... its a really nice ballpark.. a way I think we should go without the University footing all of the bill..

I'm not sure how much we'd invest in the baseball stadium with the Neyland upgrades approved.

Well, lets start with about 50 million like Bama did and if that doesn't sound like enough then feel free to increase the budget. Have you seen what they did? When our batting cages have arches and columns like theirs, then maybe we can look for other places to spend. Baseball Vols needs some serious cash. Seriously, we should think big. If VN cant get up about serious competition and expectations, then who will?

That's how penn state did theirs... its a really nice ballpark.. a way I think we should go without the University footing all of the bill..

It may be a way to go for less, but how does it help the players? How do they get to the field everyday for workouts and then to classes, then eat, and study hall, and back to field for scrimmage. Honestly the logistics for our guys stink. It might be great for fans but if you want a winning program think about what is best for the players and coaches.

Reactions: 2 people
It may be a way to go for less, but how does it help the players? How do they get to the field everyday for workouts and then to classes, then eat, and study hall, and back to field for scrimmage. Honestly the logistics for our guys stink. It might be great for fans but if you want a winning program think about what is best for the players and coaches.

The stadium at South Carolina is well off of campus and it doesn't seem to hurt them.

Playing in a top-notch facility makes small logistical problems well worth it. Most of the players drive to practice as it is, so adding 5 minutes to the commute with a downtown stadium will have little impact. Workouts would still be on campus, as they are now.

The stadium at South Carolina is well off of campus and it doesn't seem to hurt them.

Playing in a top-notch facility makes small logistical problems well worth it. Most of the players drive to practice as it is, so adding 5 minutes to the commute with a downtown stadium will have little impact. Workouts would still be on campus, as they are now.

I rarely disagree with you, but I wouldn't say USCs stadium is "well off campus". It is closer to campus the UTs Law School is to the Ag Campus.

That being said, one downtown shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161027-045436.jpg
    Screenshot_20161027-045436.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20161027-045854.jpg
    Screenshot_20161027-045854.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 0

VN Store

Back